Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Roleplaying
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2
Naandi

re: Coara Naandi

Bah. Stuff and nonsense, Archenson. We're here to have fun, and I am determined that we're gonna have fun in the story. You said you were plot driven, and I'm gonna be depending on that, cause I tend to get sidetracked by dialogue.

Naandi wrote:
Haha, NexusLuke, I don’t expect anyone to read the whole thing. It’s long and boring. I’d much prefer to read a story with *cough* action. As much as I realize the value of thorough character backgrounds, it always feels a little like reading the Silmarillion. -.-

Anyhow, Mysour, I hope God does bless this silly thing and I have been praying these few days that it would honor and bring Glory to Him in some small way. A few hours ago I posted this on the SW:TOR Create a Character thread and got a response from MasterKai. I don’t if any of you are familiar with Kai or his work, but he trolls the RP threads looking for Mary Sues to bully, and has made for himself quite the reputation in doing so. Anyway, he asked some questions about God and the Saints on the forum, and I can only hope that I am able to represent both graciously. Anyways, if you think about it, I’d love a quick prayer. I don’t deal with conflict very well, but I’m willing to try if that’s how God wants to use this silly biography.

Ah well.

Thanks for the encouragement, gentlemen! I shall see you soon on the field of…RP.

And...done! Be that light we all know you can be. ;)

Wow. That looks like a lot of work. Very epic, Naandi. I admit I just kinda skimmed through both pages, but I like it a lot.

Reginox

Naandi wrote:
Oops, apparently it took me more than eight minutes to write that, Reginox.

I would /love/ to do a scene with you. Buuut, I’m already in the making of one with AltaVista and Archenson. Perhaps once that’s finished and everyone’s all happily settled in Tython?

Great! I can't wait to read it!

Jedi Master
Awarded:

I went just to look at the art, Naandi. You are a very talented lady. I will go back to read it all one day.

I do suspect that Star Wars is not the only universe in which you like to play. I'd be willing to bet that your pen has strolled through the mind of Tolkien on occasion. At first thought, I figure you for an elf, as I have a sneaking suspicion that you actually resemble your character drawings to some degree, but, what I get from what you've written leads me in a different direction. Role players are drawn to the trunk of the story tree, not the branches, and in Middle Earth, that would mean you were probably a hobbit.

Haha, Armethis, I like your way thinking, and I like Tolkien's way of thinking. His essay On Faerie Stories was a great motivation in my early life.

Although SW is the place that introduced me to roleplay, Middlearth is indeed where I have spent many an idle day. I never played an elf though. And though my first character was a fiery pushy little hobbit, most of the characters I've played (on Elendor) were humans (the true everyman--though I imagine Tolkien thought differently). My favorite by far was a mean-spirited Haradrim falconer *rar*.

I have to admit I was very excited to read that you were on Landroval. Perhaps, I will see you there one day.

Jedi Master
Awarded:

Naandi wrote:
I have to admit I was very excited to read that you were on Landroval. Perhaps, I will see you there one day.

With LOTRO going F2P in just a few days we should see a number of our folks getting to sample Turbines ME. Those few that are playing now are on the Brandywine server. It would be great to be able to get everyone together on the same server.

We can continue this discussion over in the PC Gaming thread to avoid further derailing this one. wink

**"Back to discussing the bio, people!!" He shouts, casting a stern glare around the room.**

I updated Naandi’s bio today mostly because I, um, succumbed to peer pressure and wanted to try this new bio format of “feelings on” that everyone is using. I had every intention of making it short; I managed merely to make it boring. So don’t bother reading it. But I was grateful for the format and the chance to get inside Naandi’s head as a character, because, quite frankly, she is nothing like me and she still confuses me. Heh. Aw well. Here’s to trying on new personalities.

Jedi Master

Well luckily I took a day off, and had an hour or so of free time to catch up on all the happenings in the RP section. (It has been refreshingly busy lately.)

Very nicely done Naandi. Though I am not qualified to judge. I did read the whole thing, not solely out of duty, but mostly curiosity. I am always amazed that you can delve this deeply into a characters... essence. My characters feel like hollowed out husks by comparison, pawns I move about my board. This truly is a remarkable talent, even in its compact form by comparison to Micah, or even Naandi's full bio wiki.

My fear would be, in creating a character that is so lifelike and real, that I would not be able to keep all of those details straight and stay in harmony with the character when RP'ing. Tell me, how do you do this? Do you have an impeccable memory, or is there some methodology to it?
Naandi

Hey there, Nexus! We’ve missed ya on the forums—especially in Interference. I forgot that you were required to read the RP forums. Bwhahahaha. It’s my passive aggression; is there any other way I may torture you with my specialty: the wall-o’-text?

Vista and I were actually just talking about how hard it is to take a character from the “bio” phase into a true RP. I think for me, it’s not so much remembering what they’re like, but rather staying true to the personality you’ve created when it is so very different from your own. But I suppose that’s the purpose of the “Feelings On” type worksheet. After you spend that much time thinking about a character, it’s pretty easy to remember. In part I think because you really do adopt that personality (not always a good thing if you’re playing a villain. Haha!)

But yeah, there is a trick to remembering: Simplify the personality to four or five core traits. I used to insist that every RP character should be based off an archetype. Goodness knows that there are enough of them, you’re bound to become one whether you’re trying or not. For instance we got the farmboy with a golden destiny, the crazy old wizard, the rebellious princess, and the tragic anti-hero as examples from Arthurian legend (and you thought I was talking about Star Wars).

I don’t believe this anymore, since I think the challenge these days is to break the stereotype. But I do believe that it is easiest to play a character convincingly if you focus on a few traits that govern pretty much all of their reactions. For instance, you can pretty much sum Naandi up as a pacifistic tree-hugging, hippie, Carebear with Florence Nightingale Syndrome. Everything else about her kind of flows out of those facts. And those are easy to remember.

Blah blah blah. I talk too much. I shoulda played a new Jolee Bindo.

Thanks Kytrn and Vista for reminding me that I need to update my own timeline. =s

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: