Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Roleplaying
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Him1st73

re: RPing and a Living Witness

At church yesterday we were talking about how we spend our time. It seems lots of time is wasted in my life, certainly as it relates to dong something eternally worthwhile: the amount of time spent doing things like Bible study versus video games for example. Obviously, I believe that SWTOR can be of eternal value as we live in game for Christ and, probably more importantly in this context, share our faith and witness to fellow players. I have in fact witnessed to many people in my MMO experience and find it just as meaningful as a real life encounter.

Given our discussion of time and importance and doing everything for the Lord yesterday, I am left with a question that I really need help on. When it comes to role-playing, is it something that we should be doing as Christians? What I'm getting at is this; there was no Christianity in the Star Wars Universe. In fact, it is very New Age-y. If I'm going to role play correctly and stick to my character, then I can't very well share the gospel can I? How do I justify this as a use of my time - merely entertainment? To that end, is it worth it? How can I start an evangelical conversation if I'm RPing?

I'm truly asking here and struggling with this. Any perspective would be appreciated.
Voha

re: RPing and a Living Witness

It is a good question, and one I struggle with myself to be honest. I don't think you can put a game before God in your life and part of that is the great commission.

In my case, the game will be something played in my spare time with the hopes that I won't neglect my spiritual obligations in the process. That is hard thing and I will be watching myself closely because I can be weak in that area.

Having said that, I can see how one could use the game experience as a mission by getting to know people, becoming friends, and then starting more real life conversations with them in private whispers or emails. That doesn't violate the RP atmosphere and does allow you to bring up the Gospel message. As always, starting off by asking questions is the best approach, particularly on the Internet. Generic questions like - what do you think the goal of life is? or Why do you think we are here? tend to open up deep conversations and show you openings to discuss Jesus with them without seeming overbearing.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Roleplaying All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: