Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Roleplaying
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AltaVista

re: Roleplaying, Obscure Facts, and You: Ep 1 "Time"

Step aside Einstein, apparently with Star Wars hyperlight technology the passage of time is... negligible. Rather... George Lucas decided not to mess with your head and make it easy on all us roleplayers.

I had not even thought to consider that spacetravel would have done beserko things to a sentient's "internal clock" until I was just perusing this article on Wookieepedia. Read and be prepared to go... "huh? Whaa.. wha... OOOOOoohhh."

Quote:
As the Hyperdrive Theory allowed space travelers to bypass relativity, a single duration of time passed at all locations equally over a given interval.

Such a simple thing. Such a marvelously simple thing. But can you imagine, if every time your character jumped on a star ship and decided to travel from the Core to Wild Space that you'd, like, be younger when you returned to Core than all of your childhood Coruscanti buddies? Makes it reeeeaally hard to make all those smuggling drops on time, and still get back to the hut for supper.

But besides all that. Here's some tidbits of info for ya'll to make your stories and scenes that much more immersive! [Info taken directly from Wookieepedia]

Units of Time:
60 seconds = 1 minute
60 minutes = 1 hour
24 hours = 1 day
5 days = 1 week
7 weeks = 1 month
35 days = 1 month
368 days = 1 year
10 months + 3 festival weeks + 3 holidays = 1 year

Days of the week:
Primeday
Centaxday
Taungsday
Zhellday
Benduday

Guess George Lucas was a fan of the metric system. Can't say it doesn't make it a biiiiit simpler.

Question though for all your lore-hounds out there: does anyone know if the months of the year are named? Granted, I'm sure there are cultural differences between planets that would impact the names used, and not every planet has the same rotational pattern/duration as Coruscant. But in the black of space, I assume all "Republic" sentient would be using Galactic Standard Time.
Visan

I have a headache.

This didn't help.

Hmmm, you would need a universal time. Otherwise every planet would operate out of sync according to rotation rates etc.

AltaVista

Rahvin3 wrote:
Hmmm, you would need a universal time. Otherwise every planet would operate out of sync according to rotation rates etc.

Which, I think, is what is proposed in the Galactic Standard Calendar--that being a set measurement of time based on the rotation of Coruscant (at the "heart" of the Republic = coordinates 0, 0, 0). But yeah, even though it would be noon on Coruscant, doesn't necessarily mean it's midday on whatever planet you happen to be on.

Haha! Anyways, my nerd is coming out too much. Just thought I'd share a little something 'cause it made me go "huh".
Vadis
Jedi Vadis
Honorary Staff
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master

Thanksgiving always falls on a Zhellday.

"Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish." Luke 13:4-5
neonpsyke

I'm sure it would function much like our time system, but on a galactic level. There would be a GMT or whatever you want to call it, a dedicated 'center' - in this case Coruscant. Then everyone would have a system in place that resonated with that. So yeah you're on it, I believe. In this system I'm sure we could parallel systems to time zones based on how far away they are.

neonpsyke wrote:
I'm sure it would function much like our time system, but on a galactic level. There would be a GMT or whatever you want to call it, a dedicated 'center' - in this case Coruscant. Then everyone would have a system in place that resonated with that. So yeah you're on it, I believe. In this system I'm sure we could parallel systems to time zones based on how far away they are.

But a day would be different for each planet based on the speed at which the planet rotates. On one planet a 'day' may pass in a couple of hours while on another it may take weeks for the planet to complete a cycle. And a planet like Ryloth would have no 'days'. Time zones as we have it wouldn't work. It would just have to be one set galactic time as a reference point.

NexusLuke
Honorary Staff
Jedi Master

Jedi Master

I have just always used, and I have seen a couple authors use this (maybe I stole it them from them... yeah I am sure I did) Galactic Standard or "local" time.

One or the other usually works to relate time one place/character to another, or to establish to the reader what time of day it is around the character they are reading about.

IE... "It was early in the morning local time, the first traces of sunlight had escaped over the distant Eumore mountain range. Character X noticed he was one of the first sentient beings to stumble out of bed, as the few others he observed scurried off to work or to whatever duties they had to perform. Back home on Corellia it would be mid afternoon 3:00 PM GST (Galactic Standard Time) or so. It was always so incredibly hard for character X to adjust to a new place's time, he felt exhausted."

I guess personally I only use time kinda like above, or to describe passage of time. Rarely do I have my characters make interplanetary phone calls, and if I do it may be more convenient to have the call destination on the same time, so the call can go without a hitch... orrrrr... "can't believe you woke me up at X in the morning" to establish an annoyance with the caller.

Good stuff, and very interesting to think about.
AltaVista

Yah, I think it's easiest to think of Coruscant as something kinda like our understanding of "Greenwhich" Time. And the passage of time, universally, reflects that solar cycle of Coruscant--even though "local time" (as Nexus so nicely put it!) doesn't always reflect that. So it's best to differentiate between the two whenever possible, or as neccessary.

Personally, I'm just pleased as pumpkin that my smuggler will be able to refer to how many "days" she's been traveling through the black of space--regardless of whether any solar/star is rising or setting. That and the fact that she won't be some kind of weird time-traveler whenever she makes a jump to hyperspace. Hoo boy! That'd be all kinds of awkward.

Thanks to everyone for your input! I like brainstorming about such RP peculiarities! :D
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Roleplaying All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: