Membership Application
Social Networks
Support the Saints
ARK Server Hotjoin
Members Online
Member Recognition
Latest Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jao Thaun
Overseer
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master
Awarded:

re: FCC voting 2/27 to take control of the internet (Updated)

NEW UPDATE ON PAGE 4 (05/19/17)

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/02/24/commissioners-urge-delay-in-fcc-plan-to-regulate-every-nut-and-bolt-internet/

Quote:
The two Republican members of the Federal Communications Commission are urging the Democratic chairman to delay a high-drama vote on a secret Internet regulation plan, with one warning the proposal would "impose rules upon almost every nut and bolt" of how Americans use the Internet.

The so-called net neutrality plan, which has not been made public, is scheduled for an FCC vote on Thursday.

After warning about the implications of the proposal for weeks, Republican Commissioners Ajit Pai and Mike O'Rielly made a last-minute, two-pronged appeal to the chairman on Monday: "immediately release" the 332-plan, and delay the vote for at least 30 days so the public can review it.

"With the future of the entire Internet at stake, it is imperative that the FCC get this right," they said in a joint statement. "And to do that, we must live up to the highest standards of transparency."

Chairman Tom Wheeler and others have previewed select parts of the plan ahead of the vote.

Wheeler describes it as an effort to prevent the Internet from being taken over by big business interests, and says the proposal would ensure an "open" Internet.

At its heart, the plan would expand the government's power to oversee Internet service providers and establish new rules to prohibit companies from blocking or slowing data. Open Internet rules had been in place but were recently knocked down by a federal court.

Wheeler's approach attempts to erase any legal uncertainty by reclassifying the Internet as a telecommunications service and regulating it much like telephones. The rules would apply to both wireless and wired services.

Wheeler and consumer groups say the move is necessary to prevent providers from creating slow or fast Internet lanes in which content companies like Netflix can pay to jump to the head of the queue.

But Republicans and industry officials warn of a slippery slope that would discourage investment and innovation.

Pai, in a joint Politico op-ed with Federal Election Commission member Lee Goodman, claimed that the "heavy-handed" plan would:

Regulate broadband rates
"Decree" whether companies can offer "consumer-friendly service plans" like unlimited access to streaming music
Effectively "institutionalize innovation by permission," prompting companies to seek "advisory opinions" from the feds for business plans, "for fear of what will happen if they don't"
Claim the power to force companies to "physically deploy broadband infrastructure"
Allow trial lawyers to file class-action lawsuits for any alleged violations of this plan

The commissioners argued that the panel was conjuring the idea of "digital dysfunction" in order to "justify a public-sector power grab." They described this as part of a pattern -- with FEC members similarly discussing the possibility of regulating online political speech.

Meanwhile, The Hill reported that Democratic Commissioner Mignon Clyburn has asked Wheeler to scale back the plan, potentially putting the chairman in a tough spot ahead of the vote. But Clyburn's office refused to comment on potential changes before the vote "out of respect for the deliberative process," her office said Tuesday.

Wheeler, though, is pushing back on the calls for a delay and defending the proposal itself.

He tweeted that the future of the "open Internet" is at stake, and, "We cannot afford to delay finally adopting enforceable rules to protect consumers & innovators."

He also noted that the commission received "more than 4 million comments on #OpenInternet during past year that helped shape proposal."

"It's time to act," Wheeler tweeted.

Asked Tuesday about the call for a delay, an FCC spokesperson also told FoxNews.com that the 4 million comments amounted to an "unprecedented" level of public response.

"In accordance with long-standing FCC process followed in both Democratic and Republican administrations, Chairman Wheeler circulated his proposal to his fellow Commissioners for review three weeks before the scheduled vote. The Chairman has seriously considered all input he has received on this important matter, including feedback from his FCC colleagues," the spokesperson said.

Wheeler's plan is by any measure an aggressive leap in Internet regulation in an industry that has so far seen little government oversight. The proposal calls for treating Internet service like a public utility, although Wheeler has said he would not use the new regulations to tell broadband providers how much to charge customers, as the law would allow.

Industry is fighting this approach because it says it's only a matter of time before the rules grow more stringent and the FCC is regulating how much Internet providers can charge.

The FCC is likely to adopt the new rules if the vote proceeds as planned, considering the Democratic majority on the commission. But the next stop may be the courts. Industry lobbyists say it's likely that one of the major providers will sue and ask the court to suspend enforcement pending appeal.

Obama now wants to take over the internet. This is not good.

Jedi Master

Jedi Master
Awarded:

Obama is a tool. I do not understand when the government gets involved things get screwed up. I wish we can get rid of the RINOs and actually have true conservatives in office, who will actually fight for freedom and liberty for all. Uphold the Constitution!

But the truth is, it is all planned, God is in control!

Obama is paranoid and dangerous. He has been wrong on just about every issue.
Free IC
Honorary Staff
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

I agree that they should make it public. Obama "says" they are trying to protect the freedom that's already there, but he said a lot of things that had no connection to the truth.

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered . . . Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going, because they were holding on to something.”   ~Sam Gamgee in The Two Towers

Gabriel Theodoulos

For me to agree with Obama on ANYTHING causes me to shudder and demands that I do a careful introspection. Yet, on the issue of Net Neutrality, it's not a matter of me agreeing with a wicked president, but rather a wicked president doing at least one thing right.

Even Nero and Nebuchadnezzar had to make some good decisions in their reigns.

I have been following the issue of Net Neutrality for YEARS, and I can tell you that what happened today at the FCC was a very good thing.

Quote:
The so-called net neutrality plan, which has not been made public, is scheduled for an FCC vote on Thursday.

This has been public for a long time. Matter of fact, during the Comments process at the Commission, the FCC received so many replies, it crashed the servers. NEVER has the FCC received such a backlash from the public as they had on this one single issue.

There are two huge enemies of the American people: Big Government, and Big Corporations.

Today, I watched the FCC tear the rug out from under some really big bullies. Bullies like Cox Communication and AT&T. These bullies wanted to nickle and dime YOU and ME in everything we use and do on the Internet.

If you wanted to use Netflix or YouTube, then it would cost you extra.
If you wanted access to Facebook or Twitter, it would cost you extra.
If you wanted to set up your own web space or service, it would cost you extra.

And the people were outraged!!!!

Did you know that America is #11 on the rating of the list of countries by Internet connection speeds? Why is this? It's because of fat corporate greed.

When I started seeing Republican politicians knee-jerk react against this issue, only because Obama was for it, I started contacting my representatives myself, showing them the facts. Last week, the Republicans ceded that they were not going to fight the FCC on this. Praise the Lord!

What happened today really was a big deal folk. Yes, the big corporations have already said they will do everything they can to slow down the changes, but change is still in the wind.
Do you live in a one-horse town, where there is only a single ISP? That is going to change.
Do you have a really slow Internet connection? That is going to change.
Ever wonder why Google and others were hampered on bringing in Gigabyte lines into more homes? That too is going to change.

... all because of today!

Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master

The nine scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

"Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish." Luke 13:4-5
Gabriel Theodoulos

Aeryn Suun wrote:
Obama is a tool. I do not understand when the government gets involved things get screwed up. I wish we can get rid of the RINOs and actually have true conservatives in office, who will actually fight for freedom and liberty for all. Uphold the Constitution!

But the truth is, it is all planned, God is in control!

Obama is paranoid and dangerous. He has been wrong on just about every issue.

People have the wrong idea that Big Government is going to add even more rules and regulations to the American people.

In this case, they are not.

What is happening here is Internet Service Providers are no longer authorized to pick and choose what they will allow over their networks. YOU purchased XX GB bandwidth, and they are required by law to provide that much data, without bias.

One example is with Netflix. Netflix was being charged extra by Cox Communication to run across their networks. This forced Netflix to raise their rates (from $7.99/mo to $8.99/mo), which means YOU had to pay extra.

Now, the FCC has voted that ISPs now fall under Title II of the Code of Federal Regulations. Just like your phone company couldn't discriminate against who called you, nor your electric company pick and choose where you get your electricity from, your ISPs are FORBIDDEN to discriminate against legally recognized data.

But there is another caveat to all of this!!

Other companies can now step into "closed" markets and offer better service.

Ever wonder what hindered people like Google to come into your area? It was Cox or AT&T (I HATE HATE HATE AT&T!!!). Google had to have signed contracts with them to access their networks.

That has now changed.

Google can now lay fiber on utility poles, because they are a common carrier. Google now has access to municipality facilities because they are a common carrier. And Cox Communication and AT&T? Well, those toads are required to provide access to other common carriers. HAHA!!!!

I still don't trust Obama. And I still don't trust Big Government. Will they try and use this to their advantage? Of course they will try... and we need to remain vigilant. Yet, what happened today is a good thing for you and for me, when it comes to Internet access.

Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master

Gabby, can you point to the constitutional basis for this proposed government intrusion?

"Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish." Luke 13:4-5
Eryn Suun
Aeryn Suun
Veteran
Jedi Master

Jedi Master
Awarded:

It is great to hear! Wonder how quickly I will see the results? If I will actually see my bills lowered and see my service improve? Thanks for clarifying what took place.
Gabriel Theodoulos

Jedi Vadis wrote:
Gabby, can you point to the constitutional basis for this proposed government intrusion?

What you are asking is a bit ludicrous.

This is not taxation without representation.
This is not the loss of individual freedoms.
This is not adding laws.

This is moving a carrier service (ISP) to be reclassified as a Common Carrier Service.

Is it a loss of personal freedoms? No. BUT, it is a big time loss of CORPORATE FREEDOMS.

Bear in mind: Yes, BIG GOVERNMENT IS BAD. This has been a mantra of every single freedom-loving American since the 1960s. But just as wicked is BIG CORPORATIONS.

Please, set aside our political hats for a moment and look at our society around us. Personally, I am a Constitutional Republican. There is NO ONE in the Saints3G Community that is more conservative than me (other than Jao maybe) when it comes to politics. My momma and daddy were John Birchers back when it was unpopular to be JBers, and I was once an active member in the local militia. I say that because I don't want you to even question my personal political leanings.

But, I say again, set aside our political hats for a moment, and look around.

We do have the government who would just love to take away more of our freedoms, because people in government are motivated by Power.

Yet, we also have huge corporations who are nickle and diming us to death. Everywhere you turn, prices are going up. The middle-class is shrinking more, and the wealthy are getting richer. I recently read an article which read that by 2016, the top 1% of the wealthiest will own 50% of the world's wealth.

Just as governments are filled with power-hungry individuals who need to be reigned in and muzzled, so should big corporations who are controlled by greedy individuals be collared and leashed, when they have demonstrated a danger to society.

This is a knee-jerk reaction that has built up over the decades. On one side, we have Republicans who shout for small government and big corporations, and on the other we have Democrats who are crying for big government and small corporations.

They are both right, and they are both wrong.

We need governments who will keep their hands off of our liberties, and corporations who will keep their hands out of our wallets.

Both big government as well as big corporations are hurting America. BOTH need to be muzzled.

Jedi Commander
Awarded:

FCC did approve it today so we will see.

With all matters of government my concern is never with the intention of the laws that pass, it is how they may be implemented or landslid into other uses that are not clear or apparent at the time the law is passed. In some cases there are nefarious schemes from the start of where the road leads to after the new law takes the first step, in others it is just nefarious people manipulating the law to achieve an end, sometimes it does just what it's supposed to.

I read an interesting article about government lawmaking recently and the author was basically saying that the real change we need at government level (in terms of lawmaking) is to stop be a reactive institution, and start planning the legislation that will help the country. It seems more and more laws that I see are most often intended to react to a particular thing/incident/technology and that can make the lawmaking shortsighted.

It would be a better outlook if our lawmakers were a little more proactive in removing some of these reactionary laws and making smarter legislation that worked for the future. Sadly the nature of our legislative branch is simply to generate more laws... it's how they are measured sometimes as how successful a particular congress or tenure has been... Not a good measure in my opinion.

It reminds me of the Old Testament when I think about it.

God started with 10, and over time more and more were created by the religious leaders as reactions to problems and to try deal with new situations. I imagine the Pharisees having to increase their numbers and create new departments annually to keep up as well...

In satire, I imagine the department of sacrifices was particularly busy figuring out the formula of how much animal covers how much sin - and every time someone came up with new sin rule based on new circumstances I wonder about the dialog to figure out what needed to be offered...

Aeryn Suun wrote:
It is great to hear! Wonder how quickly I will see the results? If I will actually see my bills lowered and see my service improve? Thanks for clarifying what took place.

Common sense tells me that the changes won't be immediate. AT&T has already promised to sue last month, if they didn't get their way. Then after the law suits, you have to have the ramping up of procedures.

I would suspect it could take a couple of years to see major change.

What you should see in the near future is a shift in attitude with your ISP.

I have CableOne as an Internet Service Provider, and I have already seen a change in them. In the past, whenever I went over my 400 Gig/ month allotment, I would get a nasty note warning me to be careful. Over the past 4 months or so, I have not heard a peep from them. Speaking with my contacts in CableOne, it turns out that the company saw the writing on the wall, and started changing their policies early. Now, my ISP is polite to me.

As I had mentioned in an earlier post, I have been following this issue for a long time, and am grateful that the FCC did an about-face on this issue. Last year, Wheeler voted to do the exact opposite, and it was a horrible battle to change things around. I think the old man got tired of the battle and capitulated.

Young Jedi Sentinel
Awarded:

As long as the feds do not show up at my door for no apparent reason, I will not have a problom. If the day comes that we become a police state toward personal freedoms, making my worship of the Lord "illegal", then you will see me relocating a mile away into the dense forest with an M-16 and a can of beans singing glory glory hallelujah each morning after catching my supper.

You know what, I may do that any way come the summer. It sounds like a lot of fun!

If our connection and bills improve, praise the Lord! If the Feds abuse the law to advance further toward a police state, well the Lord works in strange ways doesn't he. Happy

I am at my worst during a calm and at my best during a crisis. It is the greatest blessing the Lord could ever give me.
Intrepid Corsair
Arbitrator
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

YES, YES, YES. Finally, Obama did something right. Happy

Intrepid Corsair wrote:

You know, this is what really infuriates me about this whole matter!

Obama had to go and mess everything up by siding with me.

Elder Jedi Grand Master

Gabriel Theodoulos wrote:
Intrepid Corsair wrote:

You know, this is what really infuriates me about this whole matter!

Obama had to go and mess everything up by siding with me.

Oh..I'm sure he had nothing to do with it or is eyeing a way to exploit the control.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Discord Users

Featured Poll
Recent Awards