Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Computers & Tech Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyrath56
Media Supervisor
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master

re: Advice on My Computer Build

Hello All,

I am in the planning stages of building my own computer. This will be my first experience with building a computer, so I welcome any advice. I have been doing some reading on our forums as well as some other computer forums, so I think I at least have my feet wet.

I am intending to use the computer for games such as ARK and Skyrim, and also Star Citizen once it releases. Based on what I have been reading I think I am pretty set on the CPU and graphics card, and I am especially looking for feedback on the power supply, case, and memory.

Here is a link to the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fGgPqs. Thanks in advance!

I know you said you are set on the CPU and graphics, but if you wait tell later this year and beginning of next year, you will be able to get the new Sklylake CPU by Intel (One is already out), and Nvidia's new GPU (double the performance of current cards.) So what I am saying is for the same amount of money you can pretty much get twice the performance by waiting, specially with the GPU.
Kix276

Ok so I looked at your build and unless you plan to overclock your CPU, you don't need a CPU cooler, just use the one that comes with the CPU. Look for a 1000+ W power supply, this is mostly due to GPU's needing more power along with other components. Better to have more power than not enough. Other than those few changes, it looks good.

Like I stated in my first post, I would wait tell the full release of Intel Skylake and Nividias new GPU's because you will get better performance with the same price as well as new tech like the new USB and faster motherboard components such as bandwidth improvements.
Intrepid Corsair
Chief Executive Officer
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

Looks good, Kyrath, but I would opt for AMD personally. Intel isn't any better and much higher for the same performance.

I agree with Kix about the power supply. Go with a 1200 and it'll cover most future upgrades and SLI multiple GPUs.

My only suggestion is to upgrade the SSD to a slightly faster one for $8.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M8ABEIM/ref=psdc_1292116011_t2_B00S9Q9VS4

Not an essential upgrade but it's only a bit more $$$.
Kix276

When it comes to CPU's, for the most part you get what you pay for. Yes AMD is cheaper it seems like, but if you actually compare the performance of a CPU that costs $300 for either AMD or Intel. They come out to be about the same. The GHz of a CPU doesn't mean it's a better processor. The number of cores doesn't even mean it's a better processor, though a good gauge due to the ability for more than one core distributing the load. The problem comes in the optimization of the cores and what the cores can actually accomplish. Just because a CPU has multiple cores does not mean it works well across all the cores. My buddy bought an AMD 8000 series back when they came out a few years ago and he thought there was something wrong with his case fans because his CPU was running at 78 degrees all the time, after further research he found out this is just how hot they ran all the time. I am sure they have improved since than, but for the most part you get what you pay for. Most processors these days can run any game in existence and it's the GPU that really makes the difference. Intel is not without it's flaws as well. They tend to run about $10 to $15 more for the same performance and unless you are willing to actually put out over $300, you will have to get a 4 core processor, which isn't a big deal sense most games don't even utilize even 4 cores, though Star Citizen is supposedly going to change that. I think this is where AMD people think that you get more performance for the money you spend because you can get a 6 core processor for less than $300, but what you have to look at is threads. Intel's 4 core processors come with 8 threads and AMD's processors come with 1 thread per core. Threads are what does the work. Every application/program uses threads from the processor to run. So even though you have 4 physical cores with a low end Intel processor, you have 8 logical cores. So your not getting way better performance out of a 6 core AMD over a 4 core Intel, and you might actually be getting worse because of the 8 logical Intel cores verse 6 logical AMD cores. Other factors come into play as well, but really the only way to really see what your getting performance wise is by looking at benchmarks for whatever application/program you are running. The architecture of the CPU and components that complement it makes a difference as well.

Yeah I know I kind of just rambled there, but information is knowledge.
Turnalis
Veteran
Jedi Commander

Jedi Commander
Awarded:

From my experience Intel and Nvidia are better at power efficiency than the AMD counterparts.

This may or may not be true with the newer developments, but I think historically it has been and I would assume continue in that vein. This is one of the areas where I think you pay more for, and would also dictate which end of the power spectrum you need.

Also a larger power supply is less 'stressed' running well within capacity rather than maxing out a smaller unit constantly - heat and stress are never good on electronics

Kix276

Also, if you have a 1000W PSU for example and you are using 750W of it, your not wasting 250W, your PSU will only put out what your computer needs.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Computers & Tech Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: