Membership Application
Social Networks
Support the Saints
ARK Server Hotjoin
Members Online
Member Recognition
Latest Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed

ANNOUNCEMENT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Computers & Tech Support
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Red_Binturong
Veteran

Awarded:

re: What would you recommend for a new gaming computer?

My computer is acting up again. I'm decided on buying a new out of the box gaming computer.

I dont have the time or energy to build a new computer from scratch, even though I know that would probably be my best option since I believe my current computer's problems are on the main board. I currently have three towers I could use for my new computer and could possibly use most of the components I already have.

The buget I have is between $1,000 and $1,200.

What would you recommend?

One caveat on my dilema... I already have two SSDs (450GB & 120 GB) which I would like to incorporate into the new computer so the manufacturer I buy from should allow me to install at least those two drives without voiding any warranties. And I would prefer if the new computer has an SSD with the operating system on it, even if it is a small 120 GB one. Dont wan't to have to mess up with reinstalling the operating system on a new computer.

Thanks!
Intrepid Corsair
Arbitrator

About as good as I can find out of the box on short notice. This one is on sale for a little while at $1159 and free shipping. However, I do not know if it will ship out of the 50 states for free.

It includes an I7-6700 processor and a GTX 970 graphics processor plus 16 gb of ram. I would definitely swap out the tower and PSU and eventually upgrade the GPU but this should run most all the current games in ultra or close to it at 1080P.

HP Envy build Link

As an option, you can reconfigure this build with the cheapest GPU and it will save you $280. That will allow you to put that money toward a better GPU and just swap it out.

Awarded:

Newegg.com has a bunch of premades that I've seen, but now that I look at it, they get expensive with any kind of good processor or GPU. If you want it prebuilt I might suggest going the AMD route which tends to be comparable performance for less $$.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227627

It has 41 reviews with a decently high average, but if there are complaints it might be about the CPU Fan, which might be worth waiting.

R9 380 is not *bad* and like the R8 280's they seem to have a fairly high overclock capacity if that's what you're interested in. If you wanted to upgrade "later" you could always buy a new card and sell this one. It's a pretty new version and it competes (if not beating) with a 960/970.

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered . . . Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going, because they were holding on to something.”   ~Sam Gamgee in The Two Towers

Recklan

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

http://www.ibuypower.com/

Guest Post Rules are In Effect for this Post
Red_Binturong
Veteran

Awarded:

Once again completely baffled by the intricacies of electronics. Remembered the trick the ASUS tech told me - to take the power cord off and press the power on button to discharge some capacitor - and the computer started back up again.

For now what this means is that I will have more time to research my next computer purchase.

I'm reviewing all the info you guys provided. Thanks for the recommendations!

I was surprised to see that the AMD FX-8320 was faster in most games than the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960. But I am not a fan of AMDs support and find it much easier with NVIDIA's driver update process.

I have always been a fan of Intel CPUs, never had an AMD computer, and don't think I will change that. I saw some videos comparing the two and, at least to my eye, the Intel outperformed the AMD processor (graphically at least).
Red_Binturong
Veteran

Awarded:

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-960-vs-GeForce-GTX-760-Rebrand

I have been very happy with my video card - GeForce GTX 760 with 3 GB GDDR5 memory. I see from this review that it's performance is on par with the GeForce GTX 960 that comes in most of the new computers I'm seeing.

I guess I can save a few dollars if I reuse my current video card.
Red_Binturong
Veteran

Awarded:

Hmmm... As I keep delving into the details for a new computer, I found that the newer CPUs (Intel Core i7 6700K 4GHz) is not that much different than my current CPU (Intel Core i7 4770 3.4 GHz).

Truth be told, I'm pretty happy with my current computer... except for that small detail that it gets into a coma unexpectedly... usually at the worst of times. I have been able to play all my games at 2048 x 1152 (which is the native resolution of my monitor) at the highest settings.

I was waiting for a technological breakthrough to invest in a new computer. Of course, I'm not the type to go for the latest and greatest as it comes out to market. I do enjoy, for example, my SSDs but don't think there is anything right now that would wow me ... on my current budget.

So, from what I'm seeing if my computer finally dies (which I hope it doesn't), I will probably be buying something similar to what I have now.
Eagle Call
Staff Emeritus

Hmm, sounds like troubleshooting is in order, rather than full replacement. I'm not really an expert, my memory is a bit fuzzy, and I would have to do some research to really be helpful; but off the top of my head I'm wondering if it could be the power supply, instead of the motherboard?

Isaiah 40:31
"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

Shieldmaiden of the Saints!
"I am no man!"
Red_Binturong
Veteran

Awarded:

Recklan wrote:
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

http://www.ibuypower.com/

Bummer! I had configured a computer on each of these sites just to find out at checkout that they don't ship to PR.
Red_Binturong
Veteran

Awarded:

Eagle Call wrote:
Hmm, sounds like troubleshooting is in order, rather than full replacement. I'm not really an expert, my memory is a bit fuzzy, and I would have to do some research to really be helpful; but off the top of my head I'm wondering if it could be the power supply, instead of the motherboard?

Hmmm interesting idea. I'm no electrical engineer (tried it and failed miserably btw)... Jeje. Could the power supply hold a charge and then be discharged when I press the power button without electricity connected? Since this happens after what seems a lengthy bit of time (approximately six to eight months since the last time I had to do this) could this be the problem? I've never head of a power supply holding a charge but what do I know?

What do you know! I just googled this question just to find out that there are capacitors in power supplies! And just to make life more interesting, one of the guy taking about this mentioned the electrical shock he received from an upowered power supply 15 minutes after disconnecting it! I once was shocked by a shorted 220V line... it was exactly what he described (except for the charred fingertip which I got).

So, I think it would be a good idea to press the power on button for a while to discharge those capacitors on any power supply before you get to work on them.

Any ideas/comments or experiences on this would be greatly appreciated.

If the computer seems to be working now, should I be even considering a change in power supply or keep working on it until it gets stuck again. Perhaps do a monthly routine to de-power those capacitors? What do you think?
Free IC
Honorary Staff

Awarded:

This is hilarious by the way. Thank God your computer works!

And yeah, if you wanted to upgrade, you know those little cards of yours can overclock like crazy, but I still think the larger cards with the better RAM kick some serious tail.

I would recommend:

Forums on Tom's Hardware.

There are seriously a lot of helpful people out there. If you can list your parts (detailed specs) and the kinds of problems you've had, you might very well find someone who is familiar with that and can give you advice.

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered . . . Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going, because they were holding on to something.”   ~Sam Gamgee in The Two Towers

Red_Binturong
Veteran

Awarded:

I've read Tom's Hardware forums many times and never occurred to me to ask a question there.

Thanks for the advice.
Vadis
Jedi Vadis
Honorary Staff

Check out http://www.digitalstorm.com/

Bought my PC from them about 4.5 years ago and it's still a beast. Will never buy a PC from anywhere else. Their customer support and forum members are insanely helpful. Good luck.

"Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish." Luke 13:4-5
Free IC
Honorary Staff

Awarded:

Looks impressive and not bad prices! And purty.

scootzter
Arbitrator

Forgive me if you said it above and I missed it, but what is your budget? Here is a very informative site that gets updated as new stuff comes out: http://sc.vortex-ts.com/hardware/CPU.html . It has details for each component of building your own computer, but at the very least it has low cost, mid cost, high cost and extreme cost parts in each category, so you can pick and choose based on your budget. It also gives why each part is suggested.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Computers & Tech Support All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: