Membership Application
Social Networks
Support the Saints
Members Online
Latest Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
rubber_duckie

re: What Book(s) Are You Currently Reading?

Hey everyone! I was just wondering what are some of the books everyone is currently reading. In this thread you can:

a)List the title of the book as well as the author's name. (definetly a must) tongue out

b)Why you are reading it. What you like/dislike about it so far.

c)Why you would/wouldn't reccomend it to someone else.

d)Additional information (maybe a link to amazon.com or something with the books cover and price).

I hope this helps! envy

Last edited by rubber_duckie on Aug. 10th, 2010 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

"Don't be immoral in matters of sex. That is a sin against your own body in a way that no other sin is. You surely know that your body is a temple where the Holy Spirit lives. The Spirit is in you and is a gift from God. You are no longer your own. God paid a great price for you. So use your body to honor God."
-1 Corinthians 6:18-20
rubber_duckie

I'll go first:

The book I am currently reading is called Boneshaker by Cherie Priest. I very much enjoy this book because it fits to my favorite genre: science fiction. I would reccomend this book to anyone who likes steampunk, zombies, and/or civil war era to pick up a copy of this book! You won't be dissapointed

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Boneshaker-Sci-Fi-Essential-Books/dp/0765318415

"Don't be immoral in matters of sex. That is a sin against your own body in a way that no other sin is. You surely know that your body is a temple where the Holy Spirit lives. The Spirit is in you and is a gift from God. You are no longer your own. God paid a great price for you. So use your body to honor God."
Armethis
Honorary Staff
Jedi Master

Jedi Master
Awarded:

I am currently reading:

The Border Legion by some western writer guy (Zane Grey maybe)
I am reading it because it was a free epub book.
It is actually a pretty good read and I would recommend it for anyone who likes westerns

The Spiral Fringe by some science fiction writer
Same as the first one
I'm only a couple of pages in...

Through The Bible Commentary by J. Vernon McGee
This is a 5 volume set and I am on volume 2
One of my favorite Bible commentaries and I would recommend it to anyone

Christian Beliefs by Wayne E. Grudem
It was given to me by a pastor friend of mine
Again, not too far in to this one

yes, I read multiple books at the same time.

Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

I am currently reading Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.

I love the series, I am actually re-reading it in anticipation for the upcoming tv series by HBO. The writing style, the way that chapters are laid out, that the fact that you can never get attached to a character, because you never know when someone will die make it a compelling read.

I would only suggest this to people who are 18+ while the series is brilliant, it is also quite explicit in its detail.
Naandi

I read a lot of books at the same time, just for the sake of variety, and partly out of necessity.

I’m reading Archaeology and the OT by Alfred Hoerth and An Historical Survey of the OT by Eugene Merrill for school right now. Merrill is actually my prof this semester, so that’s kinda cool.

For devotions I’ve been reading Spurgeon’s Look Unto Me and McArthur’s The Truth War.

And just for fun I’ve been reading Manalive by G.K. Chesterton which has been really interesting, but I still prefer Orthodoxy. I also just finished Heretics of Dune which I do /not/ suggest. It got really nasty in the last chapter and ended up in my trash can. Nevertheless--it’s probably a bad idea--I started reading Chapterhouse Dune just so I can finish the series at last.

And of course, Fatal Alliance....just cause.

--

Boneshaker sounds really interesting. I’ve never read anything steampunkish but I did attempt Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Being a Jane Austen addict, it was pretty entertaining.

I am currently reading Mistress of the Monarchy: the Life of Kathrine Swynford, Duchess of Lancaster. It is by Alison Weir, and she is one of my favorite authors and historians. I read because medieval history is my area of historical study, but I also find it fun to read for leisure.

The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century is a very fun book, written in a way that makes looking and studying history fun. Ian Mortimer writes it so that you feel you are seeing these places that were once there, or at least in their former glory. The book even talks about manners and the medieval sense of humor.

Luke 6:37 - "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
Curigh San

I just finished both "Wisdom of the Jedi Christian" by Dick Staub which had some awesome moments and then some openly heretical ones which deeply, deeply angered me, but generally quite a good read.

Then "Gospel According to Star Wars" by...I can't remember his name, it's on Amazon, which was the opposite, absolutely amazing, best book I've read in ages, his theology is 100% solid and really insightful.

And I'm about to start reading the first omnibus of the "Tales of the Jedi" graphic novel.

I'm not a Star Wars nerd honest, I normally read books about Israeli history!!

I just finished "I Would Die For You" which is an amazing book and everyone here should read it to better understand how to be a servant and "give up" their life for Christ.

I'm also reading "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan with a student

Finally, I'm reading through the New Jedi Order series for the first time. I'm on "Dark Journey" I think. It's the one after "Star by Star" where Jaina struggles with the dark side.

P.S. LOL Forgot about the collection of C. S. Lewis that I'm rereading. It includes "Mere Christianity," "The Screwtape Letters," "The Problem of Pain, " and a couple of others I can't recall.

Curigh San

screwtape letters, what a gem. CS Lewis is one of the guys I'm looking forward to chatting theology with for eternity.

cs lewis is one of my favorites though I like Schafer too if not more.

Jedi Master

Jedi Master
Awarded:

Brato Duott wrote:
I am currently reading Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.

I love the series, I am actually re-reading it in anticipation for the upcoming tv series by HBO. The writing style, the way that chapters are laid out, that the fact that you can never get attached to a character, because you never know when someone will die make it a compelling read.

I would only suggest this to people who are 18+ while the series is brilliant, it is also quite explicit in its detail.

I'm sorry but that series is filth and a discredit to Fantasy literature. It is not suitable for anyone of any age.

tekel wrote:
P.S. LOL Forgot about the collection of C. S. Lewis that I'm rereading. It includes "Mere Christianity," "The Screwtape Letters," "The Problem of Pain, " and a couple of others I can't recall.

I really enjoy Lewis's writings. "Mere Christianity" is one of my favorites.

Luke 6:37 - "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
Nouget

a)Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy - Volume Two

b)I love Han Solo - and so far the books are awesome

c)If you like smugglers this book is a must.

Proverbs 3:5,6 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
General Vox

Reading the battle of the labryinth and the red pyramid both by Rick riordan
looking forward to reading the lost hero also by rick riordan

rubber_duckie

Just finished Boneshaker a few days ago. I have it say it was a very good book. Can't wait until I read the next two books for the clockwork trilogy.

I am currently reading Resident Evil: City of the Dead by S.D. Perry. I honestly can't reccomend this book to anyone on this site, since it's filled with a lot of (highly discriptive) violence and gore. I enjoyed the first two books from the RE saga, but this one really makes my stomach turn on chapter two already! But if you're like me, you are compelled to read a bit further into the book. It's like an adrenaline rush to me so far. Can't wait to finsih it, throw it in the corner, and read something...less frightening. (I love zombie novels if you didn't know) tongue out

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Discord Users

Featured Poll
Recent Awards