Membership Application
Social Networks
Support the Saints
Members Online
Latest Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Computers & Tech Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eryn Suun
Aeryn Suun
Veteran
Jedi Master

Jedi Master
Awarded:

re: OS - Operation System

For my gaming rig, the OS I plan to go with is the OEM for Windows 10.

Those who have Windows 10 and playing games how is it?

What I want to do is have SSD that is strictly loaded with Win 10 OS. No user or public or download (folders) pathway I would like that to go to another drive (if that makes sense).

Let's see if I can explain this better. I would like my C: drive to be maintained less than 50 % of space on the SSD. I understand updates and such, but if I download games onto the gaming drive I do not what the save games to point to C: keeping the drive from filling up. My C drive to only house the OS and its updates. The other programs such as gaming/media/TeamSpeak/maintenance will be on other drives.

I am searching google to find out what is being discussed. I will share what I find.

2 Corinthians 5:21. "He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." All people are sinners by nature and by action. All people are sinners from birth. All people are born alienated from God who is Holy, cannot look upon sin, cannot fellowship with sinners. That alienation because of sin prevents us from knowing God. He is too perfectly Holy to have anything to do with sinners, except to reject them. Now the result of that rejection, the result of that alienation in time is Godlessness. The result of it in eternity is hell. So this alienation in to which every human being is born is indeed a serious issue. It means that everybody lives their life without God and if they die in that condition, will spend their eternity without God in torment.
Ranubis Toreington

Let me tell you what I have, I think it's what you want. My C drive is an SSD 120 GB, the only thing on it is my OS...win 10. My other drive is 1 TB, that I have partitioned into A and B, A drive is 700 GB and that is the main disk, B drive I strictly store music on (Yes I have that much music). I love how fast it boots up 30 - 38 second. As for win 10 ... I love it. How it crosses all platform and is so seamless, I had been using a Win 10 Phone for the longest time, but had to switch to Android because of lack of apps, but that another story.
I would say you are headed in the right direction! Happy

re: Re: OS - Operation System

Aeryn Suun wrote:
For my gaming rig, the OS I plan to go with is the OEM for Windows 10.

Those who have Windows 10 and playing games how is it?

What I want to do is have SSD that is strictly loaded with Win 10 OS. No user or public or download (folders) pathway I would like that to go to another drive (if that makes sense).

Let's see if I can explain this better. I would like my C: drive to be maintained less than 50 % of space on the SSD. I understand updates and such, but if I download games onto the gaming drive I do not what the save games to point to C: keeping the drive from filling up. My C drive to only house the OS and its updates. The other programs such as gaming/media/TeamSpeak/maintenance will be on other drives.

I am searching google to find out what is being discussed. I will share what I find.

Pretty much everything is going the SSD route now. Might as well get a small SSD for OS and another bigger one for games, then for music and anything other then games just get a regular HD
Intrepid Corsair
Arbitrator
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

I've done the same thing. One SSD for my OS and another high speed Samsung EVO SSD for games. Works great. Win 10 is fine too.

Young Jedi Guardian

Young Jedi Guardian

I have a 500ish? Gb ssd with my os and a few cpu-heavy games and the rest on a tb mechanical hard drive that runs at 7200 rpm
Eryn Suun
Aeryn Suun
Veteran
Jedi Master

Jedi Master
Awarded:

But how do you maintain your C where the programs you download does not save some of their files to your C drives?

2 Corinthians 5:21. "He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." All people are sinners by nature and by action. All people are sinners from birth. All people are born alienated from God who is Holy, cannot look upon sin, cannot fellowship with sinners. That alienation because of sin prevents us from knowing God. He is too perfectly Holy to have anything to do with sinners, except to reject them. Now the result of that rejection, the result of that alienation in time is Godlessness. The result of it in eternity is hell. So this alienation in to which every human being is born is indeed a serious issue. It means that everybody lives their life without God and if they die in that condition, will spend their eternity without God in torment.
Ranubis Toreington

Do you mean when I install a new program? I don't understand what you mean by "maintain your C".

Jedi Guardian
Awarded:

I have Win 10 with the following for Hard Disks,

1. C: 450 GB SSD I use this drive for my OS and Main Programs (27% full)
2. D: 1 TB HDD I use this drive for Data (4% full)
3. E: 3.5 TB HDD I use this drive for Data/Backup (18% full)
4. F: 170 GB SSD I use this drive for Games & Secondary Programs (87% full) - 6 Games / NO secondary programs
5. M: 450 GB eHDD I use this drive for Data/Backup (99% full)

Boot time is usually a BLINK. Can't time it from the time I press the power button to the time the login screen appears. After I enter my PW, it would be about 3 to 5 seconds while all the programs boot up (but I can start other programs while this is going on). I love my current setup.
Kix276

Aeryn Suun wrote:
But how do you maintain your C where the programs you download does not save some of their files to your C drives?

Other then just making sure when installing a game or something you direct it to the other drive, you can actually direct pictures, documents and all the other built in Windows folders to a different drive so your OS drive stays strictly for the OS and nothing else.
Eryn Suun
Aeryn Suun
Veteran
Jedi Master

Jedi Master
Awarded:

Ranubis Toreington wrote:
Do you mean when I install a new program? I don't understand what you mean by "maintain your C".

What I experienced when downloading a new game, even though I direct the install the game to another drive it still creates a folder and installs the game save files into them. I also notice installs into the AppData folder on C drive too. It may be simpler for the gaming rig because this computer will handle games.

Kix276 wrote:
Aeryn Suun wrote:

Other then just making sure when installing a game or something you direct it to the other drive, you can actually direct pictures, documents and all the other built-in Windows folders to a different drive so your OS drive stays strictly for the OS and nothing else.

Intrepid Corsair
Arbitrator
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

If Steam is on your C drive, it will tend to install all games there but you should be able to right click the download and redirect the application to whatever drive you want. Just don't try to move the game once it's installed or something might go wrong. It's better to uninstall and reinstall in your specified drive.

You might still have a few files copied to your C drive due to the fact that your OS is there but they will be small and inconsequential.

I see what you mean now. Yes there are some small files that need to be with the OS on some programs, but they are mostly very small. As I said I have a 120GB SSD, I think it's the smallest you can buy, as of today with my OS, Office 2016, 20+games, Photoshop, and a slew of othere I have only used 60GB on the 120 on the SSD, and 320 GB on the main. I don't see how you could ever use the whole thing up, unless you install something on the SSD by accident, as I have done before.

Jedi Master

Jedi Master
Awarded:

Intrepid Corsair wrote:
If Steam is on your C drive, it will tend to install all games there but you should be able to right click the download and redirect the application to whatever drive you want. Just don't try to move the game once it's installed or something might go wrong. It's better to uninstall and reinstall in your specified drive.

You might still have a few files copied to your C drive due to the fact that your OS is there but they will be small and inconsequential.

Ranubis Toreington wrote:
I see what you mean now. Yes there are some small files that need to be with the OS on some programs, but they are mostly very small. As I said I have a 120GB SSD, I think it's the smallest you can buy, as of today with my OS, Office 2016, 20+games, Photoshop, and a slew of other I have only used 60GB on the 120 on the SSD, and 320 GB on the main. I don't see how you could ever use the whole thing up, unless you install something on the SSD by accident, as I have done before.

Ok cool, got it. I am so looking forward creating my first gaming rig from scratch. Making choices of what components to install in the case and peripherals to apply to make my gaming experience awesome. Thanks for the inputs more are welcome.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Computers & Tech Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: