Membership Application
Social Networks
Support the Saints
Members Online
Latest Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Intrepid Corsair
Arbitrator
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

re: Fitness and Gaming

I love gaming. In fact, it is among the top of my favorite five pastimes ever. I love the challenge of competition and the camaraderie of friends. I enjoy taking a journey to places that don't exist and doing things that I will never get to do in real life. If I had the option, I would likely game 16 hours a day and sleep the other 8 dreaming about gaming. Sadly, I cannot do that.

Enter responsibilities:

• I am a husband. My wife doesn't game so we can't spend time together that way and a successful relationship requires a great deal of time and commitment. This is the kind of me/her time we both need to keep connected and on the same page. Everyday.

• I have a job. Living costs money. Wives cost more and gaming costs the most. I work 10 hours a day 4 days a week with the USDA and on my days off build furniture, cabinets and other wooden boxes and trinkets in my shop to be sold during the week at my wife's business. The amount of time I put into working takes the lion's share of my life.

• Animals. Thankfully, my few cows and the single horse I have left take less time but sometimes the fences have to be repaired and the water troughs filled. Vet visits happen too.

• Fitness. Sadly, this one has been left off of the menu for too long.

I used to be in good shape but I've let my gaming habits control my good sense and fitness became a thing of the past. This wasn't a problem when I was young. With age, the body starts to break down faster and it refuses to repair the damage. I've gained at least 30 lbs of fat in the past 3 years and have lost muscle and conditioning. I labor to work in my shop and it doesn't take much for me to get out of breath. I hate that but what's worse is my longevity and quality of life has declined. Gaming is great fun but my body just sits there for hours at a time while my brain does the running, building and shooting. Since I want to be fit and live a longer, healthier life, I have decided that my fitness and general health and wellbeing must creep up the list above gaming.

I recommend that all of us do this. The last thing I would want to hear is that one of my Saints brothers or sisters was facing some real medical issues because they let gaming take priority over health. If you were like me, I hope you take advantage of todays good health by exercising and eating better. Take control of your conditioning and honor God by keeping the temple in good shape. Honestly, it is easier the spend 40 minutes of your day doing cardio than it is to rebuild the temple once it has fallen.

What is more important to you, gaming for 40 minutes or taking care of the temple for 40 minutes?

Young Jedi Guardian

Young Jedi Guardian

Intrepid, I see where you're coming from, but the issue I have is that you wouldn't game for 23 hours 59 minutes and sleep the last 1 minute of the day ;P Haha seriously though I agree with you and I actually try to do a workout every day in the week, switching between upper body workouts and lower body workouts, with around a half hour of cardio everyday. During college I rarely worked out due to all of the time spent on homework (in class for around 3-6 hours a day, homework/studying for 8-12 hours a day). I can tell you that I have much more energy now than I did before I worked out, and I can get up a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing :D. Shoot for 15-20 min workouts to start out, maybe every other day, and once you start to feel like you can do more, push yourself to do up to an hour eventually with around half of that cardio. I have been told that cardio is a fat killer, and boy is that true!
Turnalis
Veteran
Jedi Commander

Jedi Commander
Awarded:

I realized this problem about 5 years ago... My job involves a lot of traveling which includes a lot of sitting on planes, airports, hotels, meeting rooms... and my office life is not much better. I started taking Karate with my son 2x week, and while I'll never be the next great Karate-ka it is good for the body and the mind.

Not saying its everyone's cup of tea, but I reached the same conclusion in my late 30's (after I went up 3 pant sizes...) Im happy with what Im at right now as I do work around my homestead (more in summer, less in winter)

There's no doubt in my mind that we need a good balance of exercise in our gaming diet...

The D0CTOR
Staff Emeritus
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

Great post! this is something ive dealt with aswell. While many of us would rather play a game or anything other than hit the gym there are a lot of benefits to it. Besides health it is proven to have emotional benefits aswell. Definitely worth the effort to reduce health issues further down the road.

"I got your gun" -James Kirk
Intrepid Corsair
Arbitrator
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

Turnalis wrote:
I realized this problem about 5 years ago... My job involves a lot of traveling which includes a lot of sitting on planes, airports, hotels, meeting rooms... and my office life is not much better. I started taking Karate with my son 2x week, and while I'll never be the next great Karate-ka it is good for the body and the mind.

Not saying its everyone's cup of tea, but I reached the same conclusion in my late 30's (after I went up 3 pant sizes...) Im happy with what Im at right now as I do work around my homestead (more in summer, less in winter)

There's no doubt in my mind that we need a good balance of exercise in our gaming diet...

While I never increased three pant sizes, I did lose a significant amount of muscle while gaining about that much pudge all over. Apparently, I'm not type that gets fat only in the gut. I look more or less like the Stay Puff marshmallow man in Ghost Busters.

I was a state champion boxer in my youth and started to get interested in Kung fu but work started taking more and more of my time so I quit that and focused on body building. That eventually dried up because of traveling and lack of training facilities which leads me to where I am now and I'm tired of it. Most gamers have a stigma of either being dorky kids or fat adults. I don't want to be like that so I'm doing something about it.

I've started my strength training back up but at 43 I'm really feeling the pain so I had to dial down the intensity for a few months until I can get back into the hard core power lifting I was doing years ago. I squatted a 45 lbs bar yesterday because my shoulders were hurting too back to hold the bar on my neck. So slow and easy does it will be my motto for a while.

Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master

Between lifting 3 times per week and BJJ 3-5 times per week I think I'm good. wink Less time gaming, though. That's the price.

Eph 2:8-9 For by grace you are saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God; it is not from works, so that no one can boast.
Intrepid Corsair
Arbitrator
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

Crackjaw73 wrote:
Between lifting 3 times per week and BJJ 3-5 times per week I think I'm good. wink Less time gaming, though. That's the price.

Yep. I'm seeing that.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Discord Users

Featured Poll
Recent Awards