Membership Application
Social Networks
Support the Saints
ARK Server Hotjoin
Member Recognition
Latest Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed

ANNOUNCEMENT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Computers & Tech Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scootzter
Arbitrator
Young Jedi Consular

Young Jedi Consular

re: New PC Build - Laptop to Desktop Upgrade

Hey all,

I am currently in the market to pick up a new desktop computer. I am upgrading from my laptop, and I would like to get a few tips from all you expert PC builders (All I've ever had was laptops, first one I got was an old HP laptop that lasted 10 years for me, and then I made the mistake of purchasing an Alienware laptop).

Current laptop specs (This cost me $3000, boy was it a mistake for the price since I had saved up for a year for it, at least it is touch screen and a 17" screen!):

CPU: Intel Core i7-4980HQ CPU @ 2.80 GHz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M GPU

RAM: 16 GB RAM (Not sure what kind, laptop doesn't tell me and Alienware 17 has changed since I bought it)

SSD: Samsung SSD PM851 M.2 2280 256GB

HDD: WDC WD10JPVX-75JC3T0 1TB HDD

Wireless Card: Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1525 Wireless Network Adapter

I am currently looking at the following loadout (not quite sure about the case, I'll figure that out after I find out everything I want in it):

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IX Hero or ASUS Maximus IX Formula or GIGABYTE AORUS GA-Z270X-Gaming Motherboard (which one is best?)

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K Quad-Core 4.2GHz OC ~5.1 GHz

GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI FOUNDERS EDITION 11GB GPU (Should I run 2 in SLI, or is 1 enough?)

RAM: 32GB or 64GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX RAM or similar (or should I instead look for higher speed RAM?)

Power Supply: 1000 Watt EVGA SuperNOVA G3 Power Supply or similar

SSD: 512GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 PCIe NVME SSD for OS/Workstation use (2 if I run in RAID 0 or RAID 1 mode, is it worth it?)

HDD: SEAGATE 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB CACHE 3.5-INCH HDD for gaming, etc (2 if I run in RAID 0 or RAID 1 mode, is it worth it?)

Wireless Card: TP-LINK Archer T9E AC1900 Dual Band Wireless Card or TP-Link Archer T9E AC1300 Dual Band Network Card
(Not sure if 1900 is worth it, since most systems are bottlenecked by ISP not card speed, 1900Mbps isn't much more than 1300Mbps due to the ISP bottleneck)

Let me know what you think or if you have any better suggestions for a desktop that is Star Citizen/ARK ready or future-proof!

Thanks,
Scott
Towne
Veteran
Jedi General

Jedi General
Awarded:

Do you plan to overclock and do steaming and video editing and stuff?

Young Jedi Consular

Towne wrote:
Do you plan to overclock and do steaming and video editing and stuff?

I definitely plan on overclocking, not sure about video editing, but if I can I'd love to start posting videos on YouTube...
Towne
Veteran
Jedi General

Jedi General
Awarded:

Then if you want to do streaming and video editing they the i7 is good and also for over clocking.

Jedi Grand Master

re: Re: New PC Build - Laptop to Desktop Upgrade

scootzter wrote:

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K Quad-Core 4.2GHz OC ~5.1 GHz

GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI FOUNDERS EDITION 11GB GPU (Should I run 2 in SLI, or is 1 enough?)

RAM: 32GB or 64GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX RAM or similar (or should I instead look for higher speed RAM?)

Power Supply: 1000 Watt EVGA SuperNOVA G3 Power Supply or similar

SSD: 512GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 PCIe NVME SSD for OS/Workstation use (2 if I run in RAID 0 or RAID 1 mode, is it worth it?)

HDD: SEAGATE 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB CACHE 3.5-INCH HDD for gaming, etc (2 if I run in RAID 0 or RAID 1 mode, is it worth it?)

Wireless Card: TP-LINK Archer T9E AC1900 Dual Band Wireless Card or TP-Link Archer T9E AC1300 Dual Band Network Card
(Not sure if 1900 is worth it, since most systems are bottlenecked by ISP not card speed, 1900Mbps isn't much more than 1300Mbps due to the ISP bottleneck)
[/center]

Let me know what you think or if you have any better suggestions for a desktop that is Star Citizen/ARK ready or future-proof!

Thanks,
Scott

The I7-7700k is a good CPU. However, if you plan on overclocking for whatever reason, you should liquid cool.

The 1080Ti is a pretty hefty card. No need to SLI for quite a while. If you do, I would suggest getting an EVGA 1200 PSU "gold" just for peace of mind for not a lot of cash. Multiple 200mm fans will keep your case cool while running quiet but take juice.

If you can afford 64 GB of ram, get it. If not, you won't miss it for a few years. Why hamper an awesome build though. G. Skills ripjaws are my usual go to.

Wireless card? I don't like them. They disconnect right in the middle of fights and you lose all your stuff.

Young Jedi Consular

Young Jedi Consular

Unfortunately I'm not close enough to the modem to run a cable, so wireless it is! I definitely plan on liquid cooling.
Micronukes
Saint
Young Padawan Learner

Young Padawan Learner
Awarded:

Have you looked at https://pcpartpicker.com/? You can look at what others have recently done and find the best prices. I would get a Samsung EVO 850 1TB to go along with the M.2 instead of the HDD.

Young Jedi Consular

Micronukes wrote:
Have you looked at https://pcpartpicker.com/? You can look at what others have recently done and find the best prices. I would get a Samsung EVO 850 1TB to go along with the M.2 instead of the HDD.
I actually already ordered the parts, but thanks for the suggestion! The hdd is much cheaper, so for now I'll use two hdd's in raid 0 configuration.
Intrepid Corsair
Arbitrator
Jedi Grand Master

Jedi Grand Master

The Samsung EVO is and excellent SSD. I would get at least a 250 just for Star Citizen. The faster the better.

Young Jedi Consular

Young Jedi Consular

I have a 500gb 960 pro m.2 ssd for the os, I could probably fit star citizen on it too hopefully! As time goes on I'll add another ssd if I think I need it
Jao Thaun
Overseer
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master
Awarded:

I would go with an Asus motherboard, I have never had an issue with them in my 15+ years of building PCs. However, I have always used AMD CPU's in all of my Asus motherboards, so maybe they aren't as good for intel as they are for AMD, I don't know? I am an AMD guy so that's all I know.

Go with Corsair or Kingston for memory. I don't think you need more than 32GB. I don't even use all of my 16GB on any of my games.

Samsung is a good SSD, so are Kingstons.

I would get a Seasonic power supply, hands down the best in the business. Whatever power supply you get, make sure it uses Japanese components, they are SO much better than the cheap chinese junk in most branded power supplies like Corsair and EVGA, etc.

I would get a 6 core processor, Star citizen will use up to 6 cores, it will run on 4 cores of course, but it will allocate the extra load to cores that already have a job lowering your frames, albeit, probably not noticeable with the intel cpu you are wanting to get.

I can't help you with the wifi cards, never use them.

I think EVGA makes the best nVidia cards, so get whichever you want.

HDD, get a Seagate or Western Digital for storage. Both work great.

Young Jedi Consular

Thanks Jao, I ordered the parts a couple days ago, but I think I mostly followed what you said. I'm going for a higher clocked 4 core cpu mostly because it is cheaper than a 6 core of the same manufacturing process (Kaby lake 14nm process). I have always been an Intel man and have never had a problem. This chip is only $330 ish bucks! I went with the asus motherboard because of some reviews I watched on YouTube.
Crackjaw73
Veteran
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master

Not sure why you would overclock. My latest build has similar specs to your and I can run every game I own which includes titles like For Honor and Ghost Recon: Wildlands at the highest details settings at 2k resolution at 60+ fps all without any overclock. Overclock for me would be just extra heat without any visible improvement in performance. If you want to do it to say you're overclocking, fine, but I think it's probably unnecessary.

Staff Emeritus
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master

I know you already ordered the parts but the memory speed really doesn't make a difference its all marketing hype to make you spend more. In the way of the GPU/graphics card, I would have went with a non-reference card as the founders cards don't overclock well, only have 1 fan, and really seem to be just well normal and don't handle heat well at all. everything else seems good though make sure you have an AC wireless capable router if you are going to use a AC wireless card or you won't get the speeds you want.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Computers & Tech Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: