Membership Application
Social Networks
Support the Saints
ARK Server Hotjoin
Members Online
Member Recognition
Latest Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed

ANNOUNCEMENT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYG
Honorary Staff
The Last Jedi

The Last Jedi
Awarded:

re: Any RV people out there?

Lately, and I do not know if it is just a phase right now, but I have had this desire to delve in to RV'ing. I am only three years from retirement. I rent and do not own a home. I am single (for now). There is just something appealing about hooking up to my truck and hitting the road, leaving Florida behind and traveling.

Anyone have any experience in this realm? Any suggestions? Tips? Advice? Horror stories? ;p

How about any "must see" places? Great RV parks?

Your opinions on top quality manufacturers?

I am leaning towards a trailer because I have the truck, though at the time I bought it I had no idea I'd want to do this so I am limited to around 5500 lbs towing.

Megamind: [from projector] Over here, old friend! In case you've noticed, you've fallen right into my trap!

Metro Man: You can't trap justice. It's an idea, a BELIEF!

Megamind: Even the most heartfelt belief can get corroded over time!

Metro Man: Justice is a non-corrosive metal!

Megamind: But metals can be melted by the heat of revanchge!

Metro Man: It's REVENGE, and it's best served cold!

Megamind: But it can easily be reheated, in the microwave of evil!

Metro Man: Well I think your warranty's is about to expire!

Megamind: Maybe I got an extended warranty!

Metro Man: Warranties are invalid, if used beyond their intended purpose!

Intrepid Corsair
Arbitrator
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

I have quite a bit of experience in this actually. I also enjoy it immensely. I'll add more info tomorrow since it is so late now.

The Last Jedi

The Last Jedi
Awarded:

Intrepid Corsair wrote:
I have quite a bit of experience in this actually. I also enjoy it immensely. I'll add more info tomorrow since it is so late now.

Great! Thanks, Intrepid. Looking forward to the info.

Megamind: [from projector] Over here, old friend! In case you've noticed, you've fallen right into my trap!

Ladialyse
Veteran
Jedi Apprentice

Jedi Apprentice
Awarded:

My husband and I also RV. We are on our second 5th wheel. We just (June) upgraded to a larger model. We started with a tent trailer when the kids were young. There are so many kinds and it is pretty important that you do not tow something heavier than your vehicle is rated for. I've heard from multiple people that many RV dealers will lie to you just to make a sale. So know your stuff. Also, there is a great website that you can join to learn a lot from. RVillage.com. And another of my favorites is RVtravel.com.

Isa 30:21 Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying,“This is the way, walk in it," Whenever you turn to the right hand or whenever you turn to the left.

NYG
Honorary Staff
The Last Jedi

The Last Jedi
Awarded:

Ladialyse wrote:
My husband and I also RV. We are on our second 5th wheel. We just (June) upgraded to a larger model. We started with a tent trailer when the kids were young. There are so many kinds and it is pretty important that you do not tow something heavier than your vehicle is rated for. I've heard from multiple people that many RV dealers will lie to you just to make a sale. So know your stuff. Also, there is a great website that you can join to learn a lot from. RVillage.com. And another of my favorites is RVtravel.com.

Thanks. Yeah, I already know my truck's towing capacity so I'll make sure I don't exceed it if I go that route, which I likely will. I just bought my truck less then 2 months ago...once I got it for a bit, I was like...hmm, I can do more with this than I planned, and that was about when I started thinking about RVing...just wish I thought of it earlier, I could have gone something that towed a little more weight.

I am checking out that website now. Thanks.

Intrepid Corsair
Arbitrator
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

re: Re: Any RV people out there?

NYG wrote:
Lately, and I do not know if it is just a phase right now, but I have had this desire to delve in to RV'ing. I am only three years from retirement. I rent and do not own a home. I am single (for now). There is just something appealing about hooking up to my truck and hitting the road, leaving Florida behind and traveling.

It might be a phase so keep this in mind when buying an RV. I would suggest getting a used one from a reputable dealer. Try it out for a year or so and go from there. In my experience, your first RV will not be your last and you will learn from that one what you really want or need in an RV. Some people are very happy with simple light weight rigs while others need a mansion on wheels. Go small and cheap to start with and you won't be too unhappy when you get ready to trade up.

NYG wrote:
Anyone have any experience in this realm? Any suggestions? Tips? Advice? Horror stories? ;p

Horror stories usually involve buying a poorly designed RV that has leaks, electrical issues or plumbing problems. No one likes to troubleshoot black water plumbing issues at 2am. Black water is sewage, by the way. Buy an RV that has a good plumbing set up.

NYG wrote:
How about any "must see" places? Great RV parks?

There are so many great RV parks in America and most of them are by some place beautiful or interesting. There are bad ones though so my recommendation is to find a big park somewhere and talk to some of the full timers. You'll know them because they are driving the big diesel pushers and usually work at the RV park in some way. Most full-timers spend winter months in Florida and summer months in northern states.

NYG wrote:
Your opinions on top quality manufacturers?

This is debatable and depends upon what level of RV you are looking for. I like Newmar for Class A, Airstream for towables and anything with a diesel in a Class B. It is all subjective to what you want though.

NYG wrote:
I am leaning towards a trailer because I have the truck, though at the time I bought it I had no idea I'd want to do this so I am limited to around 5500 lbs towing.

Unfortunately, 5500 lbs is you max and will stress your truck quite a bit. Keep in mind that towables have a base unladen weight that can exceed your trucks limits when you add fresh water to the holding tanks and other equipment you want to include: generator with fuel, clothing, food, dog, friends, etc. If you want to tow with a 1/2, get the lightest model you can live with. If the RV life suits you in the long run, you will likely trade up for a diesel.

Another thing to keep in mind is the vehicle you are going to drive when you get to that perfect vacation spot. If you are trailering with a 1/2 ton then that is your daily driver. If you upgrade to a 1 ton dually, you can opt for a bigger RV that will allow you to take your Harley with you. A class A or B will allow this as well.

Forum Image
Forum Image

Jedi Apprentice

Jedi Apprentice
Awarded:

A lot depends on your 'camping' style also. Our first RV was a tent trailer bought in 1986 and I haven't missed tenting since! But I will say tent trailers feel more like camping than trailers/5thwheels and the like. Since you are towing with a 1/2 ton, you might seriously consider a tent trailer. They tend to be cheaper, lightweight and some are equipped with showers/toilets even air-conditioning. Since they are lightweight they can even be taken places that you won't be able to get a larger, heavier RV. That part we miss with having a larger one. Our second RV was a 1999 Terry Lite 24' 5th wheel was 4700 dry weight. It was a little slow, okay a lot slow on hills, with our old 1/2 ton. We upgraded to a 2004.5 Dodge diesel and we could pull uphill at any speed. lol. Our newer 2007 Keystone Laredo 28' with super slide is twice as heavy and we can actually feel it back there. Also, if you're not a handyman, take one with you when you shop. It's like looking for a used car. Read, read, read all about RVing. There are a lot of us out here with lots of opinions. Happy

Isa 30:21 Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying,“This is the way, walk in it," Whenever you turn to the right hand or whenever you turn to the left.

Intrepid Corsair
Arbitrator
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

Also keep in mind how much it is going to cost for a trip. I once owned a diesel pusher Class A. It got about 8 miles per gallon. 150 gallon tank X about $3.00 per gallon at the time = $450. Ouch. Of course that gets you about 1200 miles but the initial shock is horrible. envy And if you are running the diesel genset at the same time then you get even less mileage for the buck.

Jedi Master

Jedi Master
Awarded:

I have looked into RVing some as well. I did some research on RV's, the different types and their advantages/disadvantages, etc. The I started looking at the cost of traveling with an RV. I realized there would be gas, RV upkeep, stuff like that, but I didn't know how much RV parks charged. It is amazing how much some parks charge. A hotel would be far cheaper. In fact, just about every popular destination I looked at was surrounded by expensive parks.

I also started reading reviews for parks near locations that I thought I might want to travel to. A lot to be learned there. If you like to turn in early or enjoy a quiet evening sitting around your sites fire-pit, you may find many reviews indicating that those things are wishful thinking.

In the end, I decided that if I ever did want to travel/camp my way around the country, I'm just going to get a truck camper and tow by bike behind. That way, if all the parks are over-priced; Walmert parking lot FTW!

Also, a generator is an important piece of equipment in the life of an RV'er. I can say from personal experience that you should strongly consider an Onan generator. I have seen those things run almost 24 hours a day for years without an issue.Its the only generator I would want on my RV.

The Last Jedi
Awarded:

Thanks Arm.

Intrepid Corsair
Arbitrator
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

Another Site that is worth checking out.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Teamspeak Users

Featured Poll
Recent Awards