Membership Application
Social Networks
Support the Saints
ARK Server Hotjoin
Members Online
Member Recognition
Latest Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Computers & Tech Support
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Spectus
Staff Emeritus
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

re: Which (used) video card would you use?

My computer "guru" has loaned me two video cards to try out:

1. Asus GT-640, with 2Gb of DDR-3 RAM
2. Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT, with 1Gb DDR-4 RAM

Which one should I go with?

Joeva Leo-Woofington McAndersonpants XII
Saint
Young Jedi Apprentice

Young Jedi Apprentice

What're the clock speeds on those?
Intrepid Corsair
Arbitrator
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

Joeva Leo-Woofington McAndersonpants XII wrote:
What're the clock speeds on those?

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp%5B%5D=95&cmp%5B%5D=1432

Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

Not sure if that is correct because the GT 640 I referenced is showing 4gb of ram instead of the 2 he stated.

Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

I have a GeForce 750 if you want it.

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

Towne wrote:

Hmmm, tempting! However, after touching base last night with Torshan and Jao on Discord, I opted for the 640, and it works well with LOTRO. Able to run it in1600x900 res with DX-11 and pretty much all the bells and whistles enabled. Downloading ARK now for install after work -- that'll be my next test.

If my rig runs ARK decently, I figure that will do for now. After that, I may take a crack at Star Citizen.

Eventually I plan to upgrade to a current-gen video card of some sort and bump my rig up to 16Gb of RAM, once my cash flow from my pending new job smooths out and my life is fully restored to order again.

For reference purposes, the core of my gaming rig is an Athlon X2 quad-core running at 2.80 GHz with 6Gb of DDR-3 RAM installed.

Last edited by Spectus on Nov. 10th, 2017 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Towne
Veteran
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

Spectus wrote:
Towne wrote:

Hmmm, tempting! However, after touching base last night with Torshan and Jao on Discord, I opted for the 640, and it works well with LOTRO. Able to run it in1600x900 res with DX-11 and pretty much all the bells and whistles enabled. Downloading ARK now for install after work -- that'll be my next test.

If my rig runs ARK decently, I figure that will do for now. After that, I may take a crack at Star Citizen.

Eventually I plan to upgrade to a current-gen video card of some sort and bump my rig up to 16Gb of RAM, once my cash flow from my pending new job smooths out and my life is fully restored to order again.

For reference purposes, the core of my gaming rig is an Athlon X2 quad-core running at 2.80 GHz with 6Gb of RAM installed.

that's cool brother Happy

Elder Jedi Grand Master

I've also recently removed one of my R9-280X GPUs if you are interested in going the AMD route.

Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

Intrepid Corsair wrote:
I've also recently removed one of my R9-280X GPUs if you are interested in going the AMD route.

Oooooo... now that would be a significant upgrade!

Spectus
Staff Emeritus
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

Ed and I just did a test of Star Citizen. In places like the hangar, it ran decently, then the frame rate started to chug as I wandered the corridors of Space Station Crusader, and dropped further when I reached the Mustang Beta in the account I was using. Still was choppy even at minimum resolutions. But at least it ran. Which means I'm probably almost Star Citizen capable. That R9-280X should get me there.

I've also been spending some time on the single-player version of ARK. That runs very nicely on my machine now, and I'm bumping up the resolutions, step by step to see where the best performance-vs-eye candy sweed spot will be. But it works well enough for my character to reach level-25 and get brave enough to stumble into a swamp to get wiped out and eaten by a bunch of crocs and really big snakes.

scootzter
Arbitrator
Jedi Consular

Jedi Consular

Hey, wait a little and soon the new nvidea gpus will be out, then a gtx1070 will become cheap (1060s are being bought for mining, so they are more expensive).
Spectus
Staff Emeritus
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

scootzter wrote:
Hey, wait a little and soon the new nvidea gpus will be out, then a gtx1070 will become cheap (1060s are being bought for mining, so they are more expensive).

Perfect! Currently I have to wait a little while before even considering investing in new gaming-rig components. Won't be able to do anything out of pocket until (unless) the job I've been chasing seemingly for ever comes through and re-establishes some semblance of a full-time income for me. I've been on a torturous path, thinking I have the job in hand, only to have "one more" roadblock emerge. Get that taken care of, and I think it's mine... and then, another... then rinse and repeat AGAIN...

Well, hopefully, I can get one more "last" roadblock cleared either Saturday or Monday... (sigh)

scootzter
Arbitrator
Jedi Consular

Jedi Consular

Spectus wrote:
scootzter wrote:

Perfect! Currently I have to wait a little while before even considering investing in new gaming-rig components. Won't be able to do anything out of pocket until (unless) the job I've been chasing seemingly for ever comes through and re-establishes some semblance of a full-time income for me. I've been on a torturous path, thinking I have the job in hand, only to have "one more" roadblock emerge. Get that taken care of, and I think it's mine... and then, another... then rinse and repeat AGAIN...

Well, hopefully, I can get one more "last" roadblock cleared either Saturday or Monday... (sigh)

What job are you trying to get? What roadblocks are stopping you?
Spectus
Staff Emeritus
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

scootzter wrote:
Spectus wrote:
scootzter wrote:

What job are you trying to get? What roadblocks are stopping you?

The job is a call-center job. First full-time job I'll have had in years.

The roadblock is a bit much to go into at the end of a long day. Suffice it for now to say that hopefully I can get the last block removed this coming Monday.

Irisbloom
IOTC Manager
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

Praying for that to happen for you Spectus.

Psalm 18:17-19

He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from them which hated me: for they were too strong for me.

They prevented me in the day of my calamity: but the Lord was my stay.

He brought me forth also into a large place; he delivered me, because he delighted in me.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Computers & Tech Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: