Membership Application
Social Networks
Support the Saints
ARK Server Hotjoin
Members Online
Member Recognition
Latest Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Computers & Tech Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Free IC
Honorary Staff
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

re: Just in case I have to change the mobo ...

Question:

If I change out a motherboard/cpu in a computer, and set it up in a new case, will I need to change/format the HDD too?

I'm asking because it looks as if I have a dead motherboard. The CPU runs, fans go up and down, but I can't get a picture from either the GPU or from the Motherboard display connections ... on either my vga monitor or the hdmi tv that I use it for.

The computer is my kids' and has put up with a lot of abuse over the last 3 years, so I guess it was a matter of time. But ...

Generally, I'm hoping to just replace the motherboard, cpu, and ram, (and the case which has some pieces missing lol) and keep the gpu and the psu and hdd, if possible. But I get the feeling I'll need to format the HDD too ... in order to load windows ....

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered . . . Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going, because they were holding on to something.”   ~Sam Gamgee in The Two Towers

Towne
Veteran
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

I think I had to reformat my harddrive after I switched to a new motherboard and cpu, but I don't quite remember.

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

You're probably right, since Windows connects to the mobo and installs on the hard drive ...

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered . . . Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going, because they were holding on to something.”   ~Sam Gamgee in The Two Towers

Intrepid Corsair
Arbitrator
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

I have always reformatted the drive and started anew. You will likely have lots of problems otherwise.

Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

Cool cool ...

Free IC
Honorary Staff
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

Update: All is well!

Switched out the mobo, cpu (a g4560, nice little cpu), ram (ddr4 now) and put a little aftermarket cooler. Also a new case, the old one was missing some panels from the front (kiddos).

HDD loaded up fine, didn't need to install my new copy of windows, so hopefully i can return it!

Interesting thing: Even after I re installed and everything, my computer (again!) did NOT give me any kind of visual from either the graphics card or from the motherboard connections. Talk about frustrating!

Google search led me to a forum post/reply

http://ccm[dot]net/forum/affich-600772-computer-powers-on-but-no-signal-to-monitor

79+ people gave a thumbs up to the first reply, which said to disconnect the power, hold the power button for one minute, then try again. Voila! Booted right up and into windows.

Any guesses what that might be? And word to the wise if anyone else ever gets the problem of booting up with no display from gpu or motherboard display outs.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Computers & Tech Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: