Membership Application
Social Networks
Support the Saints
Members Online
Member Recognition
Latest Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Free IC
Honorary Staff
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

re: Xbox question

So I've had a thought and I'd like to see if any of you have insight for me:

Some of you may know that my younger son has autism. It's pretty frustrating at times for my daughter, who is 11. She manages pretty well, but it is pretty frustrating for her when he has trouble with some "normal" boundaries. We're working on that with him, and working on some anger issues with her, but I sense that she doesn't believe we really take her complaints seriously.

So I am offering a compromise with her, while we work out how to stop this behavior.

One thing she's wanted for a long time is an xbox. I've suggested a Switch but she's not that interested in the games. Xbox One S is now quite cheap, around the $200 mark, and I'm considering picking one up as my end of the compromise.

Any thoughts or insight on Xbox games that would be good for 11-year old? Most xbox games seem to be shoot/kill or racing cars LOL, which she doesn't care about.

So far I've seen the Minecraft/Minecraft Story Mode, Disney Infinity, and of course Star Wars Battlefront 2.

Any other thoughts on games that might work?

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered . . . Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going, because they were holding on to something.”   ~Sam Gamgee in The Two Towers

Joeva Leo-Woofington McAndersonpants XII
Saint
Jedi Apprentice

Jedi Apprentice

What makes her want an Xbox 1 over the Switch? What games does she want on Xbox that is not on the Switch? She'd have a large selection of games she could play compared to the Xbox, plus she can take it in the car or in her room or where ever.. It's an amazing system.

You're going to have a rough time finding kid friendly games on the Xbox right now.

Edit:
Eh, I did some research and there seems to be a good amount of kid friendly games out for it.
https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/xbox-one

I still recommend the Switch though, lol.
Free IC
Honorary Staff
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

Joeva Leo-Woofington McAndersonpants XII wrote:
What makes her want an Xbox 1 over the Switch? What games does she want on Xbox that is not on the Switch? She'd have a large selection of games she could play compared to the Xbox, plus she can take it in the car or in her room or where ever.. It's an amazing system.

Same thoughts here. She's seen more "let's play" videos online with Disney Infinity I think.

But that's why I'm asking : )

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered . . . Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going, because they were holding on to something.”   ~Sam Gamgee in The Two Towers

Crackjaw73
Veteran
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master

Oh man, as a parent I would recommend against Disney Infinity. We went down the Skylanders rabbit hole and hooo boy... that is a money pit right there. $8-$15 per character, every time they come out with a new one there's, of course, a new portal to buy. Infinity is just Disney's version of the same thing.

Kids love it, though, and it's kid friendly.

If you like playing games with her Rocket League is pretty fun.

What kind of games does she like?

Eph 2:8-9 For by grace you are saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God; it is not from works, so that no one can boast.
Free IC
Honorary Staff
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

Yeah I'm wary of infinity and dimensions!

She's a pro with Minecraft, so I went with the minecraft package that includes story mode and exploration, which she hasn't done before.

She likes monopoly (of all games) and games where you can play together. We're interested in Cuphead and Unravel at the moment. I think I'm picking up Toy Story 3 too to see if my son will enjoy it.

Abby/Blappie
Saint
Jedi Apprentice

Jedi Apprentice

The Kinect games are pretty good. There is also Crash Course and the LEGO games, which are pretty good for kids. I'd have to consult my little sisters about more. c:

Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

Thanks for the suggestion about kinect ... alas it is the Xbox One S that has come down in my price range, so it doesn't work with a kinect.

My daughter's played lego games and she gets frustrated pretty quickly with their poor level designs ... I'm not a big fan either. I have all the star wars lego games and a batman lego game on my computer and I never play them.

I appreciate your guys' input!

We did get Cuphead and it's already a big hit. Crazy girl loves super hard stuff as long as its entertaining! Though I'm more than a bit disappointed in in the portrayal (however lightheartedly) of the devil in this game. It could lead to some interesting discussions though.

Statistic338
Saint
Young Padawan Learner

Young Padawan Learner

Which LEGO games did you try? I've played almost all of them and I know which ones are the best.
Free IC
Honorary Staff
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

We tried Lego Batman on my computer (got it on Steam for Cheap) as well as the Lego Star wars (episodes 1-6)

She didn't enjoy them *a lot* on my computer but might enjoy them more with a controller ...

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Discord Users

Featured Poll
Recent Awards