Membership Application
Social Networks
Support the Saints
Members Online
Member Recognition
Latest Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Computers & Tech Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spectus
Staff Emeritus
Jedi Master

Jedi Master
Awarded:

re: ARK Memory Errors: at my wit's end...

I've been having increasingly-frequent problems with my single-player ARK: Survival Evolved game. Over the past week or so, I've been seeing more and more "Out Of Memory" errors, which pop up a white error-message screen that shuts the client down when I click the "OK" button.

I've tried everything I can think of: launching ARK in Extremely Low Memory mode from the Steam Library right-click menu, updating my video-card driver, reinstalling my mods, checking game-file integrity, reducing the in-game graphics settings to a minimum -- all to no avail. This weekend, I have repeatedly seen this crash occur within about two minutes of entry into the in-game environment, every time I've tried to launch except for one time when the game lasted about 15 minutes before it crashed again.

On my last attempt, I even swapped my memory DIMM cards around and rolled back to a previous save from last weekend, hoping that would help. Again, nope. The game again crashed, just while I was puttering around inside my compound within two minutes of login.

Thoughts or suggestions, anyone?

My system:
- AMD FX-6450 six-core CPU (3.9GHz)
- 8Gb DDR3 1360(?) RAM
- Radeon R9-280X GPU, 3Gb DDR5 RAM
- Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit OS

My mods:
- Structures Plus
- ARK Advance 10
- Death Helper
- Extra-Large Storage Box
- XTranq Arrow Mod
- X Super Darts
- Oil Pump
- Egg And Poop Collector
- GlassMetal

Torshan
Chief Executive Officer
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master

I'm not a PC guru and haven't googled it, so not sure if any of my suggestions are worth much confused.

Since you updated your drivers and reduced the in-game memory, then I'd probably test to see if a specific mod or combination of mods might be conflicting and causing a leak. Run it a few times without a mod or two and try to see if you can't single out if one or more are the culprit.

Could also try a fresh save and game world. Cut and paste the old files to another folder on your HD and start a new game to see if it was just a corrupted save.

Just a few of my thoughts. Hope you get it fixed, Spectus.

Young Jedi Guardian

Young Jedi Guardian

Hey Spectus, have you checked your ram usage in windows while running the file? With only 8gb of ram and all these mods and being singleplayer, it's likely that you are actually capping out in ram. Check that and if so, solution is to get more ram. If not, it's possible either your ram is bad or the save file is corrupted. A quick Google search suggests flying around really eats up ram, and it can use 14gb of ram for people with only 16gb available.
Spectus
Staff Emeritus
Jedi Master

Jedi Master
Awarded:

I have a 500Gb hard drive at the moment, and DrZ suggested deleting a few less-used programs to see if freeing up HDD space would help. It surprised me, because I had 140Gb or so free, but gave it a try.

To my surprise, it helps! Apparently, there's a lot of RAM-to-HDD data transferring that goes on in the background in a low-RAM environment like mine.

So, another upgrade appears to be in my near future. Maybe two, or even three: not sure if my motherboard can handle 8Gb DIMMs, but I am also feeling the itch to add a SSD drive. I'll update this post to give the make/model of my mommaboard, but for the moment, it only has two DIMM banks, currently populated by a pair of 4Gb DDR3 DIMMs.

EDIT: My mobo is an ASUS M5A 78L-M LX-Plus. It's a mini-ATX board I bought used from my computer guru. The online version of the manual seems to indicate that it can only handle up to 4Gb DIMMs, but I'm not sure I'm reading that correctly. Thoughts? And if it can only use 4Gb sticks in its current form factor, can it benefit from a flash-the-BIOS upgrade?

Torshan
Chief Executive Officer
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master

Spectus wrote:
I have a 500Gb hard drive at the moment, and DrZ suggested deleting a few less-used programs to see if freeing up HDD space would help. It surprised me, because I had 140Gb or so free, but gave it a try.

To my surprise, it helps! Apparently, there's a lot of RAM-to-HDD data transferring that goes on in the background in a low-RAM environment like mine.

Nice! Didn't know about that, but I'm glad it's all working better for you!

Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

Awesome you found a work around. If I were you, I’d upgrade to a new mothership and add two squadrons of 8gb RAM in the hangar.

Jedi Master

Jedi Master
Awarded:

Intrepid Corsair wrote:
Awesome you found a work around. If I were you, I’d upgrade to a new mothership and add two squadrons of 8gb RAM in the hangar.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm thinking a bigger mobo with slots for 4 8Gb sticks would give me enough space to make a decent attempt at running Star Citizen as well.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Computers & Tech Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: