Membership Application
Social Networks
Support the Saints
Members Online
Latest Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Computers & Tech Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Intrepid Corsair
Arbitrator
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

re: Graphics Card: Target sighted!

It’ll be cool to see what your results show, Specs. Keep us informed, Major.

Jedi Master

Jedi Master
Awarded:

DrZ3 wrote:
I'm getting the 2070 in my new laptop. Excited to try ARK and Anthem on it! A little concerned though as I've heard the newer graphics cards have a negative effect on LOTRO.

How so?? If that's true, it'd have to be some sort of compatibility issue. I'm sure SSG would figure it out soon.

Spectus
Staff Emeritus
Jedi Master

Jedi Master
Awarded:

Intrepid Corsair wrote:
The RTX 2060 will work out nicely for anything you play at 1440. It might bottle neck with your MOBO/CPU combo but it’s a good start. Don’t forget to upgrade to 16 GB of RAM. ARK eats RAM meat for breakfast.

Forum Image

Yeah, a plan is in the works for a motherboard upgrade. My current mobo is a mini-ATX board with only two RAM slots, and those can only handle 4Gb sticks at that. I'm planning to buy Jao's old mobo and DDR-3 sticks in early March, so that'll enable me to get up to 16Gb. Then I should be good to go in late April or early May for the GPU.

After that, I'll see how this layout performs. If I see bottlenecks, I might look at an upgrade to a Ryzen CPU/mobo/DDR-4 combo sometime in the fall. I'm also hoping it'll run Star Citizen decently. As Major Hochstetler used to say in "Hogan's Heroes" -- "Vee zhall see."

Intrepid Corsair
Arbitrator
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

The RTX 2060 will work out nicely for anything you play at 1440. It might bottle neck with your MOBO/CPU combo but it’s a good start. Don’t forget to upgrade to 16 GB of RAM. ARK eats RAM meat for breakfast.

Forum Image

Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master
Awarded:

Good choice spectus!

Jedi Commander

Awarded:

I'm getting the 2070 in my new laptop. Excited to try ARK and Anthem on it! A little concerned though as I've heard the newer graphics cards have a negative effect on LOTRO.

Dr. Z, a half crazy Elvish scientist

Spectus
Staff Emeritus
Jedi Master

Jedi Master
Awarded:

I wound up draining much of the day today to articles on the new generation of nVidia graphics cards! (Also drained a big chunk of the day trolling Facebook, but that's a subject for a whole 'nuther rant, which I won't go into.)

ANYway, I think I've spotted an acquisition target for a few months down the road, once I get my cash flow fully stabilized with my new job: the GeForce RTX 2060!

I don't anticipate any big moves into 4K UHD gaming or monitors any time soon -- maybe at most a modest upgrade to a midsized 1440p monitor. And for that level of detail, it sounds like the 2060 is right on target...

Quote:
FROM THE WEBSITE, ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM...

...At 1080p, you’re absolutely laughing with the RTX 2060, as it ploughed through almost every game in my testing suite at a breezy minimum of at least 70fps, if not 75fps in a lot of cases, on maximum quality settings. That includes Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Total War: Warhammer II, Monster Hunter: World and The Witcher III. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey had to make do with ‘just’ 60fps on Ultra High when I ran its internal benchmark, all told, but was quickly back up at 71fps on the next setting down, which is still Very High. Doom and Forza Horizon 4, meanwhile, were dashing off averages closer to 100 / 120fps on their respective Ultra settings, making this the perfect partner for a high refresh rate 1920×1080 monitor...

The only game where it dipped below that hallowed 60fps at 1080p was, you guessed it, Final Fantasy XV. Here, you’re looking at an average of around 55fps, with the occasional low of 40fps, but that’s with everything whacked up to eleven, including all of Nvidia’s fancy pants lighting effects. Disable VXAO and you’ll be back up at a full 60fps+ in no time at all.

Where the RTX 2060 really comes into its own is gaming at 2560×1440. Here, the RTX 2060 trounces its cheaper competition and roundly smashes its more expensive rivals, producing near flawless 60fps frame rates on maximum or so-very-near-Ultra-it-might-as-well-be settings pretty much across the board.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/01/16/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-review/

Basically, the performance of the RTX-2060 makes it a rival or effective replacement for the still-more-expensive 1070 and 1070Ti. This new card outperforms both -- and it is the entry point for the new feature, real-time ray tracing (RTS) and a concept called "Deep Learning Super Sampling" (DLSS). Taken together, these features make for a really intriguing combo.

In brief, DLSS is a data-gathering system, in which data learned about graphical objects in a game are funnelled to a cloud-based database somewhere in the bowels of nVidia. The graphics for the objects are analyzed, and the learning about how best to render those objects is funnelled back to your system, in effect optimizing every object you can encounter in that game. This creates a significant performance boost. And it is particularly helpful for complex data like ray-tracing...

Quote:
Take Final Fantasy XV, which stuttered along at 34-39fps on Average at 4K with all of Nvidia’s extra effects turned off, but whizzed up to a much smoother 43-45fps when I turned on DLSS in its anti-aliasing menu. That’s something the GTX 1070Ti really can’t compete with.

The roster of games that support RTS and DLSS is still in its infancy -- but great news for me is that one of those early adopters is ARK: Survival Evolved!

So, the current price point for the RTX-2060 looks like $349.00. At that price, it's my target for a future acquisition.

So, does it look good? I don't know yet, but here's a hype video from nVidia that purports to show RTS in a real-time render, using the Unreal 4 engine. According to the write-up under the post, this clip was powered by a single NVIDIA Quadro RTX 6000 (a pro-grade card that currently markets for a cool six thousand bucks or so!) and shows off cinematic-quality rendering in real time. So, the kind of real-time rendering power we see in this clip is still a ways off for consumer-level cards, but still, interesting.

Given that above caveat and my skepticism of sales tools and hype videos, here's a possibly helpful analysis of the subject of real-time ray tracing from Digital Foundry...

(All linked information previewed by me for adherence to S3G community standards. No objectionable content found.)

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Computers & Tech Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: