Membership Application
Social Networks
Support the Saints
Members Online
Latest Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
The Zavas

re: Important! *Gaming Account Security*

Over the past few weeks since SC2's launch there has been an increasing amount of phishing emails floating throughout the internet hoping to snare unsuspecting gamers into divulging their login credentials. Make no mistake, once SW:TOR launches there will be be attempts made against your account! Don't be a victim! Here are a few tips to help educate or remind on what to do in order to be proactive and what to be on the lookout for!

Keep your Antivirus/Spyware/Malware Definitions up-to-date!
This will be your single-most effective way to prevent keylogging programs from relaying your login credentials to an exploiter's data collection point.

Use secure passwords!
You may think that "password1234" is secure but trust me, it isnt. Account hackers have lists of literally thousands of commonly-used passwords that they will target your account with. If you have a common password it will get compromised over time. Create a 13 character password that is a combination of upper/lower case letters, numbers and special characters. (and no, P@$$w|2D does not count, it's common) Make it something you can easily remember.

Ex: 1CoRiN9:24-27 = ! 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 !.

Know how to spot a phishing email!!!
Any email that is sent from your gaming developer/publisher needs to be checked for authenticity with extreme scrutiny no matter how legit it may appear. Phishing scammers know what the "system generated" emails from developers look like. They can duplicate them word for word, type of font, hyperlinks, signature block, subject line -- you name it they know it. The "From" line that you see in your email that looks official can be faked! Account hackers are VERY smart and VERY clever. They know how to make their emails look convincing. Personally, i check each and every email i get from my game provider using the steps below to certify authenticity:

How to Identify "Spoofed" Email Addresses

Even if you receive an email from an @blizzard.com, @swtor.com or @turbine.com address, it's still important to remain cautious. This is because it's possible to change how a sending address appears in the "From" field of an email. The process is known as "spoofing" and may cause a phishing email to initially look like it's been sent by a legit company but its not -- ITS A TRAP! To determine the actual sending address of an email, you will need to check the email's header information.

How to Access Email Header Information

Email headers contain information about the sender (who sent the email message), the path the email took to reach your inbox, and things that may have happened to the email before arriving. This information is very important and can be used to determine whether or not an email is malicious.

Most email providers and applications will allow you to view an email's header information with just a few mouse clicks. Here are some instructions regarding how to access email headers using some of the more common email providers and applications below.

For Gmail:

* Open the email message and click the "down" arrow next to the "Reply" button. Select "Show Original."

For Yahoo:

* Open the email message and then click on the "Full Headers" option in the lower right-hand corner.

For AOL:

* Open the email message and click "Details" under the "To" field.

For Windows Live:

* Right-click the email message and select "View Source."

For Hotmail and MSN:

* Right-click the email message and select "View Message Source."

For more information on how to access an email header, please review the help documentation provided by your email provider or software package.

What to Look For

Once you've accessed an email's header information, you'll want to attempt to verify the sending address. To do this, look at the "Return-Path" or the "originating address" for the email. For most phishing emails, the email address displayed in this location will differ from the address displayed in the "From" field.

For reference, a legitimate email header from Blizzard Entertainment should look something like this:

X-SID-PRA noreply@blizzard.com OR
Return-Path: < noreply@blizzard.com >
Received: from smtp01.worldofwarcraft.com ([XX.XXX.XXX.XXX]) by…
Received: from … by smtp01.worldofwarcraft.com …
for <Your Email Address>; Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:46:05 GMT
To: Your Email Address

If you do not see @blizzard.com or @<insert legit company name here>.com you can do 1 of 2 things:
1: delete the email, add the account to your blocked senders/spam list
2: report the phishing attempt

I personally opt to report them. If you go to the support section of your game provider's website they will have a section for reporting phishing/hacking/exploitation etc. I strongly urge everyone to do their part to help combat against email phishers. Sure it may take a few min to figure out the process, but trust me companies take these reports VERY seriously.

Don't think you're not a target!!!
Most people tend to think that they are too insignificant or just a face in a crowd of others to get targeted by malicious individuals. Don't be fooled into this false sense of security! Account hackers love nothing more than gamers who grow complacent when it comes to security. In fact, they depend on it. Stay aware and don't become a victim!

Please feel free to PM me anytime if you have any questions on what you need to do in order to maintain any aspect of security for your gaming accounts or home network. Its my hobby and career!

Tanks Zavaes! Messa tinks this needs a sticky *cough*.

Wow, thanks Zavaes!! I bet all that info will be a huge help to many of the Saints. Including me!!
Brato Duott
Staff Emeritus
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

This be sticky material right here.
Vadis
Jedi Vadis
Honorary Staff
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master

Any word on authenticators for TOR?

"Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish." Luke 13:4-5
Rahvin3

Thanks heaps for doing that, it is something we all have to be weary of.

Jao Thaun
Overseer
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master
Awarded:

As you wish.

Jedi Vadis wrote:
Any word on authenticators for TOR?

So far, not that i've heard of. But, i would be very surprised if there wasn't one.

That's a good post. People need to make "uncomfortable" passwords. For example, the TOR website said my password could be 20 characters, so I just typed 20 random keys into Word, counted them off one by one, and made that my password. As far as being hacked through a program that runs through common passwords, it won't work there. To me, there's no better way to make a password. That said, if you decide to make a password in the way I stated above: WRITE IT DOWN. wink

Remember guys: The guild is intended to consist solely of God-honoring members. We need to make sure we keep it that way, for the safety of the guild members, as well as the security of the guild's reputation. I encourage you to do your part to keep this guild solid.
Vly

Nice post Zavas!

"Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm. Do not swerve to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil." Proverbs 4:26-27
Deepspace_5

It's good to know valuable things such as this without having to sacrifice so many Bothans.

Deepspace_5 wrote:
It's good to know valuable things such as this without having to sacrifice so many Bothans.

No, it is just that we thought it might be better not to mention it this time.....The Bothan Sympathy Party in the Senate was growing too powerful already.

Deepspace_5

Rahvin3 wrote:
Deepspace_5 wrote:

No, it is just that we thought it might be better not to mention it this time.....The Bothan Sympathy Party in the Senate was growing too powerful already.

lol

Jedi Master

Jedi Master
Awarded:

My son's WOW account was just hacked-AGAIN!!! This makes the second time in the last year. This topic is worth "bumping".

Hackers are getting more and more sophisticated as the gaming industry grows. The password was extremely complex and they still managed to get in through battle.net.

Add-ons used to be a virus risk mostly but now you can't even use them as they compromise your security. You can't alt-tab out of a game any longer to check gaming sites since this common practice is being exploited and sites can get in that way.

With the trend towards using your email address as your user name, you are running the risk of compromising your email account as well. I bet most of us have account related emails from various web site (games and/or ebay, amazon, etc.) stored in our saved emails. Confirmation emails from games we have signed up for? What about electronic receipts or bank stuff? It's not just your in-game gold that is at risk now.

Hopefully, we will see some pretty sophisticated account security associated with TOR when it releases. I haven't seen anything to suggest that this is the case though. So, my intention is to change my password frequently as well as change email address associated with the account (if it will allow it). I may even just forgo a subscription all together and just use game cards.

It's a bad world we live in. Be safe out there.

Arm

Honorary Staff
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master

Yikes! Does your son have an authenticator attached to his WoW account?

"Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish." Luke 13:4-5
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Discord Users

Featured Poll
Recent Awards