Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Roleplaying
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Naandi

re: Coara Naandi

This is only a preview of Naandi’s background. If you want to see the actually interesting parts (history, description, etc) check out her character page on the SWTOR RP Wiki. I love RP wikis because you can not only put a lot of information on it, but it’s also really easy to navigate, you can include pictures on your profile, search for certain classes/categories, and meet other RPers. Anyways, here are my pages.

Naandi is, obviously, the character I will be playing with on the SOTOR forums, but I’m linking Micah’s page too. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with her yet, so I don’t suggest reading her page (because it’s loooooooong), but it’s got pictures. :D (Oh, and don't bother reading the "feelings on" section here either. It's boring. I just figured that since I wrote it, it had to get posted somewhere.)

Name: Coara Naandi
Forum Image
Phonetic Name: KOR’ah NAHN’dee
Class: Jedi Sage
Species: Human
29 (assumed TOR release: ATC 10)

Physical Descriptors:
Hair: Black
Eyes: Green
Complexion: Pale
Height: 5’0”
Weight: 95 lb

Basic Dialect: Coruscanti
Favorite Saying: “Wars do not make one great.”
Religious Beliefs: The Living Force
Alignment: Lawful Good
Profession:
Peacetime: Xenobotanist for Restoration Ecology
Wartime: Healer

Skill Sets:
Xenobotany
Restoration Ecology
Landscape Architecture
Xenoarchaeology
Diplomacy
Curative Force Powers
Lightsaber Kata

Descriptor Inspiration: A tree, nightingale, and Psalm 88

Abstract:
Naandi’s life has been one of contemplation and seclusion. Her early experiences were grounded in her work as a xenobotanist and Jedi representative to Ithorian Restoration Zones. Although she has participated in the Great Galactic War, the life she chose for herself is one of reclusion and asceticism, hoping to do more good in her vows of pacifism than with a blade. The Council however recognized her affinity for the curative mysteries of the Force and, more interested in her skills to aid the war effort than in those in ecological restoration, sent her to aid the Saints.

Virtues:
Patient, meek, gentle, understanding, compassionate, devoted, faithful, disciplined, obedient, obliging, passive, conciliatory, amicable, a perfectionist

Cardinal Virtue: Charity

Flaws:
Fatalistic, over-emotional, sensitive to criticism, fearful of loss, over-dependent, wavering between strong attachment and reclusion, quick to despair, self-doubting, insecure, unreliable, quick to yield, evasive, rarely assertive, guilt-complex, over-identifies with troops/patients, Florence Nightingale Syndrome

Tragic Flaw: Acedia
    Naandi suffers from a flaw common to practitioners of an ascetic lifestyle. After years of discipline, seclusion, forced impassiveness, mortification of attachments, despair over failures, a desire for peace in a age of war, and the daily responsibility to perform a work that seems somehow detached from the needs of the world, Naandi has developed what might be called spiritual torpor. Her thoughts are heavy with the sorrows of the world, and her only relief is escapism. Often listless, inattentive, and absorbed by her work in the vivariums (that many count unimportant), Naandi habitually finds herself seeking the serenity of the Force in meditation or in walking the paths of ancient gardens. But ultimately, that path of discontentment leads only to apathy and despair. Occasionally accused of being neglectful, careless, even slothful by her master, it sometimes seems as if Naandi has given up completely and only remains a faithful Jedi because of a strong sense of physical discipline and a love for the Force.

All this could perhaps be a symptom of having forced herself to reject love’s claim on her by companions and fallen friends. Even as memories and feelings are recalled and forgotten, she wavers between peace in the Force and spiritual discontentment. Sometimes she feels it is the blight of obedience to the Jedi Code. Mostly she feels it is her own inadequacy.

Overall, Naandi is a very needy person. This is not typically a devastating flaw, but it is absolutely incapacitating for a Jedi. As a result, she has been isolated and this causes an unmediated melancholy. Most could, perhaps, overcome these flaws—as has been her goal—however Naandi is completely unable to cope with her flaws and the consequences of them. Only her master, believing that inserting her back into the field of war where success is defined by the number of dead, attempts to correct this failing.

Feelings On:
    Purpose: Once Naandi was driven by service and care for those she loved. Having abscised those feelings of devotion—in obedience to the Code she follows—she is now driven solely by self-discipline. Sometimes there is a dishonesty to her service because she is merely hiding—from herself and her superiors—the true attachment she has formed for those she cares for. On a more metaphysical level, self-actualization is only achieved by her pursuit in the knowledge of the Force and fulfilling her role in its designs. She is honored to have been given the connection she has with it, and strives to better understand her purpose, even if her purpose is very small. She is unfailingly motivated by her service to the Jedi Code and her fate in the Force. She rarely meets her own expectations, and sometimes selfishness guides her actions rather than self-sacrifice, but she yearns to be the ideal Jedi: the kind that never falters and is never recognized.

Love: Naandi is well aware of the hold that love can have on her—not the eros or passion for another—but the selfless love for strangers and brothers. Love always carries with it the threat of loss. Love is vulnerability to one’s disapproval, the fear of pain, and the governor of emotion. It hinders judgment in the context of fate and duty. It places one life above others. But for all its handicaps, love completely governs Naandi’s thoughts and actions. It is how she connects herself through the force. It is love, admiration, compassion, care, and responsibility that bind her relationship to living things. And cut off from that, she is an empty vessel, isolated from the Living Force. Love is a paradox to Naandi—it is the one thing she cannot understand and yet feels most strongly. She knows the Jedi Code, and believes in it devotedly. She would never compromise that devotion by giving too much love to any one thing. However, she also recognizes her dependency on love, and accepts that to be her greatest weakness. She fears abandonment more than any other thing. But her devotion to the Code often forces her into isolation because she also fears the betrayal in her heart by becoming too dependent on those she cares for.

Happiness: Serenity in the Force is her happiness, and Naandi feels this no stronger than when she is in the fellowship of her companions. Because this is often denied her, she has sought to find peace in seclusion, and seeks her joy from the quietness of nature. Although she would like to discipline herself into stoicism, Naandi is easily moved to joy—just as her sensibility is easily moved by nearly any emotion.

Anger: The only anger that Naandi is vulnerable to is the rancor of others. As a pacifist, she is evasive of conflict and particularly sensitive to—even fearful—of the aggression of others. This does not mean, however, that Naandi is completely dominated by people of stronger tempers. She can be silently defiant—even bitter—in her passive aggression against those of authority with whom she does not agree.

Hate: Although chiefly governed by compassion and sensitivity to others, Naandi, due to her sensibilities, is also very passionate about things she finds objectionable. She hates war and battle, apathy, and the chaos of a self-serving government.

Fear: Naandi fears loss. This is perhaps her greatest failing. She easily forms strong bonds to people and places, and every deracination of those connections is another injury to herself that she is incapable of healing. She fears the apathy of repression that she, by discipline to the Code, forces upon herself, and the isolation that she lives in. But the one thing she allows her mind to daily harrow her with is her fear of failure and the purposelessness of her life.

Sadness: Naandi is easily affected by all emotions and quick to share in the feelings of others. Sorrow is the most potent of all of these. She bears the memories of many wars and many fallen friends. She sets them aside like old dreams. She forgets them. She folds them away like other lives. Her ability to forget wounds sometimes makes her seem cold, but to reopen those memories is a flood of dangerous emotions. Naandi is full of feeling, but it is that intuitive relationship to living things that connects her so strongly with the Force. And yet with her hope and her peace in the Force, she is also able to mask such strong emotions under a quiet spirit.

Power: Naandi believes that a Jedi is merely a channel of the will of the Force. To be filled with that power, the Jedi must empty herself of herself. All selfish motivations, thoughts of exultation, and desires for strength must be laid aside. Only then can the full power of the Force flow through the Jedi. Their bodies are only a vessel to be filled; their hands are but a tool of its will. Their fate is not their own. The Jedi must diminish and it is because of this that Naandi finds strength even in her weakness. The Jedi’s purpose is solely to reveal the power of the Force.

Last edited by Naandi on Mar. 22nd, 2013 5:12 pm; edited 12 times in total

Jedi Master

Did you draw all the pictures of Micah?
Naandi

Yessir.

That's a good bio. I'm going to go read the whole version soon.

Remember guys: The guild is intended to consist solely of God-honoring members. We need to make sure we keep it that way, for the safety of the guild members, as well as the security of the guild's reputation. I encourage you to do your part to keep this guild solid.
NexusLuke
Honorary Staff
Jedi Master

Jedi Master

Wow, those are very good drawings. You have a lot of talent.

I admit though, I didn't read the whole bio.
Mysour

You have some amazing and well-thought out characters. Your art really represents your characters and the information you've created. I'm amazed and impressed. God bless your efforts.

dang, you are amazingly talented. and quite a prolific writer too it seems Happy . you'll have to show us more of your work sometime

Reginox

That was amazing! I had no idea your characters were so deep and well thought out! You HAVE to make a Saints RP with them! envy

Tagren would be more than happy to do another joint thread.

Haha, NexusLuke, I don’t expect anyone to read the whole thing. It’s long and boring. I’d much prefer to read a story with *cough* action. As much as I realize the value of thorough character backgrounds, it always feels a little like reading the Silmarillion. -.-

Anyhow, Mysour, I hope God does bless this silly thing and I have been praying these few days that it would honor and bring Glory to Him in some small way. A few hours ago I posted this on the SW:TOR Create a Character thread and got a response from MasterKai. I don’t if any of you are familiar with Kai or his work, but he trolls the RP threads looking for Mary Sues to bully, and has made for himself quite the reputation in doing so. Anyway, he asked some questions about God and the Saints on the forum, and I can only hope that I am able to represent both graciously. Anyways, if you think about it, I’d love a quick prayer. I don’t deal with conflict very well, but I’m willing to try if that’s how God wants to use this silly biography.

Ah well.

Thanks for the encouragement, gentlemen! I shall see you soon on the field of…RP.

Oops, apparently it took me more than eight minutes to write that, Reginox.

I would /love/ to do a scene with you. Buuut, I’m already in the making of one with AltaVista and Archenson. Perhaps once that’s finished and everyone’s all happily settled in Tython?

Soooooo......

working on your RP Doctorate Thesis i see wink
NexusLuke
Honorary Staff
Jedi Master

Jedi Master

Naandi wrote:
Haha, NexusLuke, I don’t expect anyone to read the whole thing. It’s long and boring.

I read the first several sections, and then skimmed the rest. It was very well written, and it was long so I didn't have the time to read it in its entirety. However, it wasn't boring, at least the parts I read.

I honestly didn't know people put that much effort into RP, but the writing and artistry really compliment each other.

I will pray for you and whatever will come of your thread. I will pray that God gives you the right words. You never know, maybe this guy will be our Saul turned Paul, if God chooses this as an opportunity to knock him off his high horse. Can you imagine the testimony this guy could have on the SWTOR forum, if he went from a well known bully who persecuted RP'ers, to a gracious and edifying Saint? May the Force be with you! envy
Vly

Ohhhh, no. I shouldn't have looked at those pages. Now I really wish you could draw me a picture. Heh. Very cool Naandi. I will get around to reading both as soon as I can. Great pictures though!

"Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm. Do not swerve to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil." Proverbs 4:26-27
Nouget

Wow you have an amazing talent in drawing! And your characters seem great-can't wait to see them come to life in the game! Happy

Proverbs 3:5,6 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
Darius Tarminthor
Archenson
Veteran
Jedi Padawan

Jedi Padawan
Awarded:

Amazing stuff, Naandi! It almost makes me feel like my character will be a lame in comparison in our RP thread, because I am terrible at writing character backgrounds and personalities. >_>
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Roleplaying All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: