Membership Application
Social Networks
Support the Saints
Members Online
Latest Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
AltaVista

re: The Big Ol' Music Share!

So, I have incredibly eclectic musical taste and find myself eating through new artists and genres at an increasingly rapid rate. As I was driving down the freeway the other day I had a thought that it would be super fun to share our musical loves with the guild. I LOVE introducing new genres of music to people who have just never stepped out of their music "box." Granted, not everything I share is always loved or even enjoyed, but I thought it might be fun to give ya'll a bit of taste for new music!! :D

If other people would like to post links to music either on youtube or via the samplings on Amazon.com, ect, please feel free! But please don't post links to sites where music can be downloaded illegally or to songs that might seem questionable (in regards to content or lyrics).

Enjoy the big sandbox of music!!!
AltaVista

First off, for all you LOTRO players out there, I would like to introduce to you the Lord of the Rings: The Broadway Musical!
As hokey as it might sound, I fell in love with this soundtrack last Fall and am I bringing it back onto my playlist since I've started playing the game again. I actually found about it on accident since the website is http://lordoftherings.com/ and I put in the wrong url while trying to get to the game site. Anywho, here's some links to the music on youtube. The entire soundtrack is available on Amazon.com and through the above website if, indeed, the music strikes your fancy. ^.^

This Youtube User actually made a playlist of the whole soundtrack here

Below you can listen to the individual songs...

Prologue (some random elf, Arwen?)

The Road Goes Ever On and On (Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin?, hobbits and elves)

Saruman (elves?)

The Cat and the Moon (Frodo, the hobbits, and the Prancing Pony patrons)

Flight to the Ford (instrumental)

Song of Hope (Arwen)

Star of Earendil (Arwen?)

Lament for Moria (Gimli and Gandalf duet)

The Golden Wood (instrumental, and cool creepy voices!)

Lothlorien (Legolas solo, Galadriel solo)

Now and For Always (Frodo and Sam's duet)

Gollum's Song (Gollum... obviously) - **Yay Gollum, singing... as both himselves!

Song of Hope (Arwen and Aragorn duet)

Wonder (Galadriel) - *** MY personal favorite!! :D

The Final Battle (instrumental)

Epilogue/Farewells (instrumental)

Finale
Deepspace_5

http://www.sphereofhiphop.com/rap/listen/free-mp3s/

The first list of songs from several genres, movies, and groups!

Sure, it's from a Disney movie, but it's something a little different:
He Mele No Lilo - from Lilo & Stitch
Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride - from Lilo & Stitch

Whoa- just found this! I actually know a different group that does a cover of this, but didn't realize that the Fleet Foxes also sang White Winter Hymnal.

Something a little different, one song from Titan A.E.: It's My Turn to Fly, and coincidentally one of my RP characters theme songs. ^.^
From the same movie comes a fab reggae song by Wailing Souls, Renegade Survivor.

This clip from Jim Henson's MirrorMask is a bit strange... but in context... yeah, it's still strange. But the song is... even stranger!... especially if you know the original. Close to You

A moment of levity and responding badly to... unlovable people. Enjoy What is this Feeling? from the broadway Wicked (based on the Wizard of Oz).

The ever ethereal music of Eric Whitacre, here is his sweet choral piece Seal's Lullaby with lyrics by Rudyard Kipling
Visan

Ooooh I'm excited! I'm a real music junkie, so I'll probably be visiting this forum quite frequently . Anyways, first thing I'm going to suggest, is probably my favorite band, well tied for first, is Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Don't be fooled by the name, this isn't your average orchestra. They've got guitar, drums, bass, electric violin, string orchestra, full choir, and plenty more instruments. They're huge, and all extremely talented. Their concerts are some of the most amazing things you will see in your life, I read somewhere that in 2009 they spent more money on pyrotechnics then all other music groups combined. And on top of that, they have a ridiculous amount of lights going on, all choreographed to the music. They're fa-nominal. And best of all, they are a Christian band (although their songs aren't always necessarily obviously Christian). They have 5 albums, Three of them completely themed for Christmas. Their first album was an album of Beethoven songs turned rock. Their newest album, Night Castle, tells a sort of fairy tale that takes place during the Vietnam War and is a tribute to our troops (who they would always thank and bless before long before this album at concert.)

If you can, I highly recommend checking them out. Their "heavier" albums are Night Castle and Beethoven's Last Night(heaviest). I would recommend most of you start with one of their Christmas albums: The Christmas Attic, Christmas Eve and Other Stories, and The Lost Christmas Eve.

Official Website: http://www.trans-siberian.com/
The song you've heard by them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWBjl-jPcVM&ob=av3n
Live Performance with Narration Intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vHRwmFc-1o (This is 2003, multiply the lights times 5, and twice as many members, and that's closer to what you can expect.)

Trans-Siberian Orchestra's concerts are always one of my families favorite moments each year. If you can see them, I highly highly hiiighly recommend it.

Visan wrote:
Anyways, first thing I'm going to suggest, is probably my favorite band, well tied for first, is Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

I have heard them, and they are Fabulouos! I didn't know they were a Christian band, but that certainly makes them that much more interesting. Their Christmas concerts are on TV all the time, so that's always fun. Happy

THanks for sharing Visan- I'll have to look into their Castle album, 'cause that just sounds like fun!
Visan

AltaVista wrote:
First off, for all you LOTRO players out there, I would like to introduce to you the Lord of the Rings: The Broadway Musical!

Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa. I skipped over this the first time I glanced at it like "Oh yeah, I already have the all the LotR CDs." But this is a musical, oh my. Internet surfing commence!

Jedi Master

My best friend's dad was actually offered one of the guitar positions in Trans-Siberian Orchestra, but he declined. At the time they were just getting started up, and he said he was young and arrogant and thought he was better than their little band and could do better. He said he still kicks himself over that one.
Visan

NexusLuke wrote:
My best friend's dad was actually offered one of the guitar positions in Trans-Siberian Orchestra, but he declined. At the time they were just getting started up, and he said he was young and arrogant and thought he was better than their little band and could do better. He said he still kicks himself over that one.

Here's two songs to add to the pot. The first I heard randomly at the end of a Korean movie. It was perfect, and so beautiful. I still get all moody when I listen to it (though, admittedly, some of the lyrics are kind of lame).

To alleviate some of the moodiness of the previous song, I present random song number two. It's in Russian, so I have no idea what the guy is talking about. But if you really wanna know, it's translated for you on the bottom...in Chinese. But it's a cool song! I don't know what impresses me more, his voice or his stage presence.

Naandi wrote:

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yesssssss!

This is officially my minstrels theme.
First he starts off raising the spirits.
Then boom, piercing cry.

Naandi wrote:
I don't know what impresses me more, his voice or his stage presence.

Great gravy train, I forgot about that guy. So... incredible! For those of you who might not know, the voice technique he is using is called "falsetto". And speaking as someone who's listened to a heck of a lot of trained classical singers... he's one of the best I've ever heard use this type of technique. Such control! Such power! It's awesome! That top note he sings near the end? Yeah, that's a C-sharp... in the soprano range. Most women can not even sing that high, and it's a good two octaves higher than most men sing comfortably.

And, whoo! stage presence! Even when he's just standing there doing nothing but grinning mischievously... you're locked in. Dude! Wish I could do that. :P

Thanks for posting that, Naaaaandi. :D
AltaVista

For cultural edification, more EPIC Russian muzak:

And then... a special edition for Recklan:

NexusLuke
Honorary Staff
Jedi Master

Jedi Master

Naandi wrote:
Here's two songs to add to the pot. The first I heard randomly at the end of a Korean movie. It was perfect, and so beautiful. I still get all moody when I listen to it (though, admittedly, some of the lyrics are kind of lame).

To alleviate some of the moodiness of the previous song, I present random song number two. It's in Russian, so I have no idea what the guy is talking about. But if you really wanna know, it's translated for you on the bottom...in Chinese. But it's a cool song! I don't know what impresses me more, his voice or his stage presence.

I really like the first song, but it is just so... just... :
The second one is just... whaaaaaaaat? How is that possible? (Though it should be noted I added it to my YouTube favs.) It is rather catchy in a strange Russian polka kinda way.

As far as my own contribution... behold and be amazed... I LOVE this song, and find the music I have sampled from this "group" to be intriguing and pretty snazzy.

I absolutely prefer to listen to music with no visual stimuli (unless it is a LIVE setting in some cases), but since I could not find any YouTube tracks with just the album cover, at least this one had pretty pictures. The others were mostly poorly made videos of the monks, that were kinda creepy, and take soooo much away from the song in my humble estimation. I have listened to this song for years, and seeing the videos just now almost turned me off to the song. So listen if you can without video, or if you must look at the pretty pictures. Do not click on the others (of this video on YT)... ITS A TRAP!
Naandi

I was sitting enjoying the monks going and then...woah, that's Sarah Brightman. Definitely unexpected, but pleasant none-the-less. What an interesting group!

Page 1 of 27

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Discord Users

Featured Poll
Recent Awards