Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Roleplaying
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AltaVista

re: OOC - Tatooine Sandbox RP

The monstrous shadow of a tiny kreetle scuttles across the sand in desperate haste. He is racing the sun that even now with one half opened eye criticizes the creature’s progress as it steals into the shadows of a deep canyon. Its knob-kneed feet are half busy with its flight, and half occupied in rolling a reluctant pebble—a treasure for its burrow. Only a tiny pockmarked trail of shadows tells the tale of how far he’s come across the dunes.

Morning breaks upon the desert where overnight a wind has swept the tide of sand against the cliff face, washing away the footprints of the previous day into the clean, reflective surface of endless sand. The silent, arid ocean rolls deep into the distance where far away the sun now issues undulating waves of heat from the sand so that the dunes themselves seem to ripple like rolling waves in the distance.

Now is the hour when shadows and creature creep fastest, before the sun saps both life and energy from the desert and turns the red rocks golden. And now, for the first brief moments of dawn, the brown robes of a rat-like race stand silhouetted against the cliff face while their amber-stoned eyes glow with the morning sunlight. Into the deepening shadows they scuttle, and peeping from the alcoves, look greedily down on the remains of a fallen spacecraft. Scratching sounds of tiny boots on rock and chirrups of timid speech are suddenly interrupted by the shriek and mad dash of one red-robed Jawa as he spills down the scree from the cliff into the dunes. Caution is not so important when the column of smoke from the derelict craft may be seen by the neighboring clan and the slovenly progress of a sandcrawler in the distance.

---Scene graciously penned by Naandi

IC Thread can be found Here

Tatooine “Sandbox” OOC

As I have been blabbing on and on about how much fun I was having in the SWTOR Sandbox RPs I created for the official site, Naandi had the ingenious idea that we create a similar (but much more relaxed one) specifically designed for SOTOR. “It’s mad!” I cried. “It will dissolve into utter chaos and hilarity!” she cried. And then, in a perfectly matched unison, we cried aloud: “It’s PERFECT!”

No, we shall not walk around in the wraps of our intricately thought out characters with over-developed backgrounds. No, I say! We shall all be… wait for it… drum roll, please… no really, someone give me a drum roll… Thank you, Naandi …. We shall all play as JAWAS!

Jawas playing in a sandbox sounded simply far too much fun to ignore. To elaborate slightly for those who are not yet familiar with the term, a “Sandbox RP” is a roleplaying scenario that is character-based, rather than a plot-heavy story-based RP. In essence, you begin with a setting (in our case, a setting written by Naandi) which includes the relative time of day, weather, social conditions, and a geographical position on a specific planet. Since we will be playing as Jawas, that planet is Tatooine.

Naandi and I will be acting as GM’s (game-masters) as well as participants. So, as we feel so inclined/persuaded/bribed, we might add thread setting alterations that will help further/hinder/complicate/entice current RP’d situations as a means of adding that extra element of dynamic for the players involved. These specific setting altering posts will be posted entirely in yellow for easy reference. But for the most part, this will be a “hands off” thread allowing you, the writers!, free reign to go wild with your imagination.

Still, in an effort to control the chaos (that will no doubt ensue *squee!*) and further familiarize my buddies here in the Saints of how some, different styles of cooperative roleplay are implemented, I am copy-pasting the rules that I put up on my SWTOR threads.

Skye_Jaxs wrote:

The Rules

We’ll start off with the basics:

NO godmodding / Auto-Connecting / Power-Gaming
No surprise there, just don’t do it. It’s not polite and it’s not fun, and if you do it you’ll be making a lot of enemies real fast. So don’t. Just… don’t – and you’ll be glad you didn’t. If you’re not sure what these terms refer to there’s a fabulous list of explanations that you can read up on here. If you’re still confused, don’t be afraid to post a question in the OOC. No one will bite your head off. And if they do, it reflects badly on them and not you. So… no worries, aight?

Be Courteous
Disputes should be handled via PM and kept out of the forums. Flame wars and childish bickering will not be tolerated. If you can not settle your dispute on your own, you may contact me and I will moderate to a very limited degree. If there is still no resolution, both parties’ posts will be flagged for deletion and the players excused from the RP.

[The rule regarding profanity has been deleted as it was unnecessary for this guild – huzzah!]

No Player-Killing
You may not kill/injure another character or destroy another character’s property without their express permission given in either the OOC thread or by PM. On a similar note, please remember that no (well written) character is invincible. Roleplay is quid pro quo, a give-and-take cooperative entertainment. IC actions have IC consequences. Do not assume your character can make fun of the big, burly brute of a man’s high pitch voice and walk away without some kind bruise. :jawa_wink:

OOC comments should be kept in the OOC thread
It certainly cuts down on the clutter in the IC thread and absolutely helps the reader with scene immersion. Plus, it’s prettier this way!

Passage of Time
Due to the nature of the thread, all events that take place will be contained with the timeframe of a single solar day. Characters may not take off from the planet in a starship and arrive back the next week within a single post. For easy reference, in this specific kind of thread at least, it would be wise to have each post be limited to a maximum of 15 minutes’ worth of character action/speech/thought/ect, though obvious a shorter duration of time is preferred and encouraged. This excludes introductionary posts (i.e. your character’s first post in the thread) in which background and a previous “arrival time” may be explained (i.e. your character happened across this planet yesterday, flopped out of bed, had him some bantha breakfast biscuits, and went on his merry way). Following this rule of thumb will help you and those that you interact with to streamline your RP. To aid you in the matter, I will (hopefully) be adding clauses stating the current passage of time. When, and if, enough/too much action has happened for a single solar day, the thread will be closed and re-opened as the consequent day in a “Part II” thread.

Have Fun!
The Rules are here to help you and encourage friendly, cooperative RP between players. It is my hope that this will be enjoyable to the player, as well as helpful to them as they further develop their characters through interactive roleplay.

This Sandbox RP will be what can be summed up as a Turn-Based Forum RP. Each player/writer writes a paragraph or so for the character they created. Then, another player will post with the actions/reactions of their own character. While there will (hopefully) be several characters in the scene, each writer is responsible for only their own character, unless they decide to include other NPCs (1. see note below).

So, it should be (fairly) straight forward and fun! I had a clause on the official forums that everyone had to post a short character biography sheet, but since every character in this thread will be made up preeeety much on the spot, I think that is unnecessary. However! For those who wish to practice using such a template and write up a short biography for your Jawa, go right ahead and… yah know, run with it! I will post an altered character sheet template that’s more suited for this setting.

Everyone is encouraged to join in and play along, even if you don’t consider yourself a roleplayer! Without an on-going plot and the necessity to really think through a new and unique character, this should be just another fun, creative outlet for all us Saints!

Hope ya’ll enjoy it!

Note 1: "NPCs" <-- a confusing term, I know, as its literal translation is “non-playable characters”, but generally refers to a character(s) that is spontaneously created and temporarily controlled by a single writer, but, in some cases, can be interacted with and even (depending on the generally accepted rules of the group roleplaying) controlled by another writer in a consequential post. Such characters are usually created to act as "bad guys" to be fought against, or vendors to interact with, or other general non-important characters with which to interact. A general rule-of-thumb, however, is if the NPC has been given a name (or seems to be an important element to the creating-writer's story), it is a "hands-off" character that only the originating writer can describe and write for.

"The Cast":

Matta – SteelFalcon
Orry – Arrowhead
Puki – Naandi
Bolt – Avisi
Beany – Brato Duott
Yee – Rhavin3
Mort – The Fork of Doom
Waka – AltaVista
Itchy - NexusLuke

Last edited by AltaVista on Mar. 7th, 2011 8:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
AltaVista

Just for kicks and giggles, those who wish to can fill out this short character template and post it here in the OOC thread. I imagine, however, most everyone’s appearance description will be… preeeetty much identical. Jawa’s aren’t exactly known for their individuality. :P

Species/Race: JAWA
Name:
Nickname:

Height:
Weight:
Hair Color/Style:
Facial Appearance:
Eye Color:
Body Appearance:

Home Planet: Tatooine
Current Residence: Tatooine

Spoken Language: Jawaese

Armor/Clothes:
Primary Weapon(s) :
Secondary Weapon(s) :
Miscellaneous Item(s) :

Personality:

1-paragraph Biography:

And since nearly every Jawa is practically identical to another, please note one physical feature that can be used to identify them from another Jawa:
Arrowhead.

:o This looks like a lot of fun!
Count me in! :D

Name: Orriplitzmodahiebobamaba (Orry-plits-mo-da-hee-ba-ma-ba)
Nickname: He always goes by "Orry"

Relative Age: Adult
Height: 3.0 ft.
Weight: 60
Hair Color/Style:
Facial Appearance: standard shiny yellow gem eyes, standard jawa garb.
Eye Color: yellow
Body Appearance: small, (obviously)

Armor/Clothes: standard Jawa robes, but with armor wrists + gauntlets and shin-plating. Right Jedi shoulder piece made to block even a lightsaber slash.
Primary Weapon(s) : EMP rifle, disrupter rifle
Secondary Weapon(s) : Jawa fighting fist action gloves, perfect for the fired up MMA Jawa!
Miscellaneous Item(s) : A book containing 66 books.

Personality: Friendly, enthusiastic, scares/frightens/surprises easily, talkative and easy to start a conversation with.

1-paragraph Biography: Orry was born inside of a Tatooine Sand Crawler on its way to re-fuel far away from where this story takes place. He grew up repairing droids as all the other Jawas did. Orry's Crawler was once attacked by Tusken Raiders. They rushed the crawler and took it over with little to no resistance. Orry and his parents were able to escape however, and they traveled through the desert until they reached Anchorhead. They signed up with another Crawler Crew and that is their story of how they got here.

And since nearly every Jawa is practically identical to another, please note one physical feature that can be used to identify them from another Jawa: He carries a small pocket-sized book with him, which contains 66 books within itself. This book was given to him by a Jedi his family befriended in Anchorhead.
That Jedi also gave him one of his shoulder armor pieces. It has a picture of a cross with a crown above it. He wears it all the time.

Last edited by Arrowhead. on Feb. 2nd, 2011 11:56 am; edited 7 times in total

Jedi Guardian
Awarded:

Name: Mattabanopooey (MAH-TAH-ban-oh-poo-ie)
Nickname:Matta

Relative Age: middle-aged
Height:taller than average (not sure real heights)
Weight:more than average (comes with the height)
Hair Color/Style:? You can't see it
Facial Appearance:standard glowie eyes
Eye Color:standard
Body Appearance:?

Armor/Clothes: Shoulder plates and standard utility belt draped from shoulder across chest
Primary Weapon(s) :heavy pistol
Secondary Weapon(s) :one MAYBE two EMP grenades
Miscellaneous Item(s) :droid repair kit

Personality:gruff and not nearly as friendly as other jawas, distastes humans and sees them as only credit opportunities, often avoids other jawas as well

1-paragraph Biography:part of the jawa scavenging teams, refuses to haggle with buyers over droids, only friend is a small droid (S6 series - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/S6-series_security/maintenance_droid)Forum Image

And since nearly every Jawa is practically identical to another, please note one physical feature that can be used to identify them from another Jawa:jawa garb is particularly torn, an is always accompanied by small droid (above picture)

"HUH? SORRY MY MUSIC IS TOO LOUD!" 
Steel Falcon
Saint
Jedi Guardian

Jedi Guardian
Awarded:

I'm ready to see how interesting Naandi and Alta's jawas are :D

Arrowhead.

I know, me too! :D
But someone is going to have to take the next part of the story, I can't think of what to do... xD

Jedi Guardian
Awarded:

Arrowhead. wrote:
But someone is going to have to take the next part of the story, I can't think of what to do... xD

lol just start writing! this is pure fun so anything you can think of on the spot is game! :D

Arrowhead.

SteelFalcon wrote:
Arrowhead. wrote:

lol just start writing! this is pure fun so anything you can think of on the spot is game! :D

Alright, I did. :P

Jedi Guardian
Awarded:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

i still cant stop laughting!!!!!!!! that was not at all what i expected but it is very much like the Jawas!!!!!!!!

wow i can see laready that i am going to LOVE this thread!

Naandi

Hehe! You're characters are great! I'm super excited about this.

Puki-baa-baa

Species/Race: Jawa
Name: Puki-baa-baa
Phonetic Pronunciation: POOK-kee-BAH-bah HOK-uh-LOO-[g]ee (as in 'gear')
Nickname: Puki

Height: 2’10”
Weight: 32 lb
Body Appearance: Stubby

Armor/Clothes: Brown robe, black gloves, utility harness, protective eye-gems
Primary Weapon(s): Ion blaster
Secondary Weapon(s): Teeth
Miscellaneous Item(s): Handheld navigational equipment

Personality: Puki has the irrepressible urge to run everywhere she goes, perhaps because of her particularly short legs or perhaps due to a particularly efficient metabolism. With a high pitched voice, rapid speech, and the energy of a six year old, she is specially equipped for her most prominent characteristic: annoyingness. When not trotting to and fro, tripping over a robe far too long, bossing people around, or digging holes in the sand for no particular reason, she is probably eating to catch up on all that spent energy. In the rare moments when she is not moving, she has a habit of nervously swaying back and forth and singing to herself. And if forced to be quiet, as on long trecks, that curious grinding sound is probably her bruxing.

Biography: Puki is proud to be one of the clan navigators where she can happily boss people around all day long. She often finds herself on long scouting trips to chart the change in the dunes, check the popularity of water holes, and fathom the depths of dry quicksand before the route of the clan sandcrawler is determined. Currently her family is negotiating her bride price with a neighboring clan, and this has of late made her particularly proud and particularly annoying.

Unique Feature: Puki can be easily recognized by the distinct odor of rancid hubba gourd and acrid curry. She also has the unfortunate—and reprimandable—habit of sweating a lot. On any given day, she may be seen wearing an orange bracelet of tezirett seed and/or h’kak beans that she frequently gnaws upon for their ergogenic properties as a mild stimulant.

Last edited by Naandi on Jan. 30th, 2011 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Oh thats a cool one!
Haha, now whenever I see your character, I'm going to think of Pooky from Garfield

Forum Image

Jedi Guardian
Awarded:

Arrowhead. wrote:
Oh thats a cool one!
Haha, now whenever I see your character, I'm going to think of Pooky from Garfield

Forum Image

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! envy envy

Steel Falcon
Saint
Jedi Guardian

Jedi Guardian
Awarded:

We need someone to write another part! Lol this has the potential to be a SUPER HILARIOUS thread! Hahahahahaha no pressure :D

Avissi

this sounds pretty cool i guess ill try my hand at it.

Name:Bol-druno-smanesh
Nickname:Bolt

Height:Average
Weight:Heavier than average
Hair Color/Style: Average?
Facial Appearance: ?
Eye Color:glowy
Body Appearance: jawa...like

Armor/Clothes: standard brown robes though with many black splotches per occupation. Also a Human tool belt slung bandoleer style around over his torso
Primary Weapon(s) : over-sized wrench used for tightening the large bolts on sandcrawlers or for motivating the occasional malfunctioning droid
Secondary Weapon(s) : assorted tools for throwing
Miscellaneous Item(s) : small artistic rendering of a Hammer-head class cruiser

Personality: very focused when there is a job to do. But, in his spare time he is a bit of a dreamer and romantic. Bolt dreams of someday dreams of someday working for the republic navy working on grand capital ships and visiting exotic locations around the galaxy.

1-paragraph Biography: Bolt is a sandcrawler mechanic for his clan. He makes it a point to know every nook and cranny of the sandcrawlers he works on, his favorite spot being a small window on the top floor where he can watch the suns rise and set across the dune sea. Usually during the day he can be found scrambling around the sandcrawler fixing things and whacking machinery with his large wrench in a productive manner

And since nearly every Jawa is practically identical to another, please note one physical feature that can be used to identify them from another Jawa: usually recognized by his distinct smell of grease and hydraulic oil, thus his traditional brown robes have turned almost black due to daily contact through the machinery he works on. Also he bears the logo of "The Saints of the Old Republic" on the buckle of the toolbelt given him by a friendly traveler, which he proudly displays at the front of his chest

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Roleplaying All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: