Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Roleplaying
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Are you interested in creating an RP wiki page for your character?
Yay, fun!
59%
 59%  [ 25 ]
Not really, no.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
I would, but I'd like some help.
30%
 30%  [ 13 ]
I don't get it.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 42

Naandi

re: The RP Wiki

Update: The TOR RP Wiki is Closing.
see details here

One of my favorite TOR related websites available to us is the TOR RP Wiki. It’s a place for RPers to post their characters, stories, and guilds in a wiki-page style. Most MMOs have them, and I have found them to be very, very useful. Many RPers use them so that their information is public and searchable, in fact, in many official forum RPs, a wiki page is requested if not required (as is the case for our collaborative rp with the Vanguard of Justice).

Here's a sample character page of average length:

It’s my hope that many of our fantabulously talented RPers at SOTOR will create their own wiki pages—not only because it’s lots of fun, but also because it is a great way to advertise our guild. I’m hoping that eventually we can paste links to all our character wiki pages on a guild page.

So, here’s the poll to see who is interested. If there is interest, I’m happy to help anyone who is a little daunted by the wiki code, though really it’s very simple if not a little messy. Here are some useful links if you want to know more.

So, anyone interested?

I will be posting all of our character wiki pages to our Guild RP-Wiki Page. Please post your page address in this thread so I may add you to the list. This is who I have so far:

Last edited by Naandi on Aug. 8th, 2012 3:52 pm; edited 12 times in total

Below is a sample template for the character page if you want to know what kind of code you’ll be working with. Of course you can modify anything to include what you want about your character.

Character Page Template wrote:
{| class="prettytable FCK__ShowTableBorders" style="float: right; margin: 5px" width="300"
|-
! bgcolor="#003c74" colspan="2" | <span style="color: #ffffff">Your Name'''</span>
|-
! colspan="2" | [[Image:your_image.jpg|300px]]
|-
! bgcolor="#330101" colspan="2" |
|-
| <small>'''Name:'''</small>
| <small>text</small>
|-
| <small>'''Phonetic Name:'''</small>
| <small>text</small>
|-
| <small>'''Birthplace:'''</small>
| <small> text </small>
|-
| <small>'''Age:'''</small>
| <small> text </small>
|-
| <small>'''Alignment:'''</small>
| <small> text </small>
|-
| <small>'''Class:'''</small>
| <small> text </small>
|-
| <small>'''Specialization:'''</small>
| <small> text </small>
|-
! bgcolor="#003c74" colspan="2" | <span style="color: #ffffff">'''Biological Traits:'''</span>
|-
! bgcolor="#003c74" colspan="2" |
|-
| <small>'''Race:'''</small>
| <small> text </small>
|-
| <small>'''Gender:'''</small>
| <small> text </small>
|-
| <small>'''Weight:'''</small>
| <small> text </small>
|-
| <small>'''Height:'''</small>
| <small> text </small>
|-
| <small>'''Hair:'''</small>
| <small> text </small>
|-
| <small>'''Eye Color:'''</small>
| <small> text </small>
|-
| <span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 11px;"> </span>
|-
! bgcolor="#003c74" colspan="2" | <span style="color: #ffffff">'''Personal Information:'''</span>
|-
|-
| <small>'''Allies:'''</small>
| <small> text </small>
|-
| <small>'''Enemies:'''</small>
| <small> text </small>
|-
| <small>'''Weapons:'''</small>
| <small> text </small>
|-
| <small>'''Spoken Languages:'''</small>
| <small> text </small>
|-
| <small>'''Skills:'''</small>
| <small> text </small>
|-
! bgcolor="#003c74" colspan="2" | <span style="color: #ffffff">'''Political Information:'''</span>
|-
|-
| <small>'''Allegiance:'''</small>
| <small>Republic</small>
|-
| <small>'''Guild:'''</small>
| <small>[[Saints of the Old Republic]] [http://sotor.guildlaunch.com/]</small>
|-
! bgcolor="#113a5e" colspan="2" |
|-
! bgcolor="#003c74" colspan="2" | <span style="color: #ffffff">'''RP Information:'''</span>
|-
| <small>'''RP Availability:'''</small>
| <small>Character currently in creation stage</small>
|-
| <small>'''Creator:'''</small>
| <small>[[User:Your_Name]]</small>
|}

==Description:==
===Appearance:===
===Skills:===
===Equipment:===
==Character:==
===Personality:===
===Appearances in Fiction:===
==History:==
===Background:===
===Dramatis Personæ:===
==OOC Information:==
All information on this page is to be treated as out-of-character knowledge unless specifically revealed to your character through role-play or mutual agreement.

This page is currently under construction and all information within is subject to change.

[[Category:Characters]] [[Category:Human]] [[Category:Republic]] [[Category:Galactic Republic]] [[Category:SOTOR]]

Last edited by Naandi on Mar. 8th, 2011 2:35 pm; edited 2 times in total

I am working on mine..... Hopefully I will have it done by the end of the week.

I have never done this before, and am very unfamiliar with it, but I will try.

Jedi Master

I would be interested in trying.
Verasol

Definitely would like to try this. Thanks for the info!
AltaVista

If Naandi gets overloaded with people needing help setting up their wiki, I'm also free to lend a helping hand. I've done a couple pages for my different characters now, and am getting pretty dandy fast at setting them up. :D

Yay for people being interested!! That's awesome! :D
Arrowhead.

Wow there are a lot of tabs! Where to start?! D:

The Wiki Walkthrough

I’m going to try my best to write a walkthrough on how to create a character page for the TOR RP Wiki. However, I think it may still be a tad confusing for people who are nervous about experimenting. So, for those who would like personal help, I’d be happy to meet you on TeamSpeak or in the Guild Chat and work specifically on the code for your page. Just send me a PM or post your questions in this thread, and I should be able to check it within the day (hopefully).

Getting started with the template is the hardest step. After that, it’s all about experimenting and moving things around until you like what you see. But here we go from the beginning.

1. Create an account:
    - Click the link on the top right that says Log in / create account.
    - You need a user name and password. You may use the same name as your character.

2. Create your User Page
    - Click on the little green person at the top right of the screen where it says your user name. This is your user page (not your character page).
    - Click edit this page in the text box
    - Copy the User Page Template provided below and paste it into the text box.

User Page Template wrote:
    {| class="prettytable FCK__ShowTableBorders" style="float: right; margin: 5px" width="300"
    |-
    ! bgcolor="#003c74" colspan="2" | <span style="color: #ffffff">'''Your Name'''</span>
    |-
    ! colspan="2" | [[Image:Your_Picture.jpg|300px]]
    |-
    ! bgcolor="#330101" colspan="2" |

|-
    | <small>'''Name:'''</small>
    | <small>text</small>
    |-
    | <small>'''Timezone:'''</small>
    | <small> text </small>
    |-
    | <small>'''Class:'''</small>
    | <small> text </small>
    |-
    | <small>'''Specialization:'''</small>
    | <small> text </small>
    |-
    | <span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 11px;"> </span>
    |-
    ! bgcolor="#003c74" colspan="2" | <span style="color: #ffffff">'''Personal Information:'''</span>
    |-
    | <small>'''Guild:'''</small>
    | <small> [[Saints of the Old Republic]][http://sotor.guildlaunch.com/]</small>
    |-
    | <small>'''Allies:'''</small>
    | <small>[[User:Micah]]
    |-
    | <small></small>
    | <small>[[User:SkyeJaxs]]</small>
    |-
    | <small></small>
    | <small>[[User:Archenson]]</small>
    |-
    ! bgcolor="#003c74" colspan="2" | <span style="color: #ffffff">'''RP Information:'''</span>
    |-
    | <small>'''RP Availability:'''</small>
    | <small>Open</small>
    |}

==Characters==
    * [[Your Character]]
    ==External Links==
    * SW:TOR Profile: [Web address to your SW:TOR profile]
    * GuildLaunch Profile: [Web address to your GuildLaunch Profile]

[[Category:users]]

- Click on the Show Preview button at the bottom of the screen.
    - Look at the preview and notice what parts you need to edit (anywhere that says "text").
    - You also need to add the web address for for your SW:TOR and GuildLaunch pages. Be sure to past the whole address in between the brackets, and then add your forum name after a space. Example: [http://www.swtor.com/community/member.php?u=663930 Your Name]
    - If you don’t want to share that information, simple delete that line of code in the text box.
    - Notice the red text that says “Your Character” and “Image” These are broken links because we haven’t made those pages. For now, leave it the way it is.
    - At the bottom, click the box that says Watch this page. You may add a summary if you like (for instance “Page Creation”) and then click Save Page.

3. Uploading a picture
    - You can’t link to outside pictures on a wiki page. So whatever you want to post, you need to upload to the site.
    - From the toolbar on the left, click Upload a File (four from the bottom).
    - Find your file and name it, making sure to leave the file extension on the end. Example: My_Name_Portrait.jpg
    - Check the box watch this page and select Upload this File.
    - Return to your user page by clicking on the green person icon.
    - Click the Edit tab.
    - You can now add your picture by changing the picture name in this [[Image:Your_Picture.jpg|300px]]
    - Be sure to save your page.

4. Creating the Discussion page.
    - Now click the Discussion tab at the top. This is where people can comment on your profile
    - You can type anything you want here, but I suggest something simple like, “Comments are welcome.”
    - You may sign your page by typing four tildes: ~~~~
    - Save the page.

5. You have now created your User Page! Next up is your Character page.

The Wiki Walkthrough - Part 2

1. Create your Character Page.
    - You need to create a new page. To do so, go to the Main Page and scroll down to the empty text box.
    - Enter the exact name (first and last with spaces) of your character. Click Create Page.
    - The process will be the same, but this time, use the Character Page Template I posted in the grey box earlier (second post in the thread).
    - Once you’ve pasted this in and hit Show Preview, you can see what areas need to be edited.
    - Under “creator,” you may replace the red text with a direct link to your use page using this syntax: [[User:My_Page]]
    - The table of contents at the top is automatically created from the points listed below. They are distinguished by the equal signs. Type your information below these lines. Example:

Description wrote:
    ==Description:==
    ===Appearance:===

I are pretty.
    ===Skills:===
    I are smart.

- You may add or change whatever items you wish.
    - Feel free to copy code from other people’s profiles. You can open and edit any person’s wiki page on the site (just be careful not to save the page).

2. Add Links.
    - Have an interesting fighting style that no one will know? Make it a hotlink to the Wookiepedia. Want to link your short story in “Appearances in Fiction?” Referencing an ally with a page on the RP Wiki? It’s just polite to give them a hotlink. Here’s how:
    - For links to pages within the RP Wiki, just put the page name within two brackets using this syntax: [[Aicha Kartooche]]
    – For links to pages outside of the wiki, use one set of brackets and insert the web address and then the word(s) you want hotlinked: [http://sotor.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4404587&page_id=66127&gid=91149 Scattered]

3. Add pictures.
    - You can add pictures anywhere you want on the page. Just paste this puppy wherever your little heart desires: [[Image:My_Picture.jpg|300px|thumb|left|My Caption]]
    - You can re-size it by changing the pixel count (i.e. |200px|)
    - You can move it to the right side of the page by replacing the location modifier (i.e. |thumb|right|).

4. The last thing to do is add “tags” to your character. They are placed at the very bottom of the page and look like this: [[Category:Characters]]
    - There are many Categories to choose from. You might consider using versions of these:

Categories wrote:
    [[Category:Males]]
    [[Category:Miraluka]]
    [[Category:Jedi]]
    [[Category:Jedi Padawan]]
    [[Category:Scoundrel]]
    [[Category:ForceUser]]
    [[Category:Corellian]]

- Be careful to use categories that have already been created. Categories that don't exist will appear as broken links on your page.
    -Save your page.

5. Create your Discussion Page.
    - Finally, fix the broken link on your User Page with the syntax: [[My_Character]]

6. Post your character page here so everyone can see and marvel.

Last edited by Naandi on Mar. 8th, 2011 2:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

NAANDI YOUR 1337 ALL THE WAY

http://evil-wizards.org/swtor-wiki/index.php?title=Saul_Eryth

THANKS FOR HELPING ME I AM SO EXCITED

P.S.S NANNDI your also the bestest because you like the song: Rebuilt Enclave too ist me favorito!!!!

Alright... I think I got it...
http://evil-wizards.org/swtor-wiki/index.php?title=Myss
Thanks so much Naandi!

Last edited by Arrowhead. on Mar. 9th, 2011 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Paul! It feels like ages since I saw you last. Wait...it has been ages! How are you?!

I'm loving your guys' pages and I'm so excited people are doing this! It's gonna look groovy. If I may, I'd like to make some suggestions after checking out your pages though. Everything neat and tidy:

Paul________________________
  • Looks like you're missing your name in the info box (top right). In the code, it's three lines down from the top. It should look like this:
    ! bgcolor="#003c74" colspan="2" | <span style="color: #ffffff">'''Saul Eryth'''</span>

• Try adding some hotlinks to your page. Since you reference Myss as an ally, you can link his name: [[Myss]]. You can also hotlink your stories in Scattered and Acts like so:
    [http://sotor.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4404587&page_id=66127&gid=91149 Scattered]
    [http://sotor.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5535188&page_id=66127&gid=91149 Acts of the Saints]
  • I noticed a lot of broken category links at the bottom. So far as I know, we can't create new categories. If we can, I'll try and make one for SOTOR. But for now, I'd take out any tag that's in red and change Sentinel to "Jedi Sentinel."

Arrow_______________________
  • Looks like you have two broken links. The first is your picture. Maybe you just haven't uploaded it yet. Or maybe you don't want one. If you don't want one, just delete that line of code at the top and you'll get rid of the ugly red. Five lines from the top, it looks like this: [[Image:your_image.jpg|300px]]
  • As with Saul, it might be nice to hotlink your stories. They are the same as Paul's except you can add this one:
    [http://sotor.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6045246&page_id=66127&gid=91149 The Story of Master Aldonar Fesk]
  • Your Creator page, under RP Information has a bad link. This should actually be a link back to your User Page: [[User:Myss]]

Hope that's hopeful and not too annoying. I'm adding your pages to our guild wiki page.

P.S. Paul, I lurvs the song. But it makes me so sad. *sigh*

Page 1 of 4

Jump to: