Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Roleplaying
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
SaintOdid

re: Guild Wars RP Anyone?

RedeemedJedi7 wrote:
I'm game, and I can't believe I haven't looked around in the RP threads for TOR. I guess I was just so disappointed when I heard the RP servers in the game had no RP. Though, I'm still open to creating some events in game to create some RP for those who want it. That's what I've missed so much from Galaxies when I played it. It was very open to good RP with the community that was there, and the open world.

But I'm also thinking about getting GW 2 sometime very soon, so we'll see. I'd definitely be interested in getting involved with that RP. Someone tell me how I can get started and learn some about the lore. I have the first game and played through a lot of it.

The best place to learn about the lore of GW2 is to look up lore in Youtube such as: Guild Wars 2 ** (Sylvari, Asura, Human, Norn, Charr) or some have done history of Guild Wars 2 Lore.

Another place is www.guildwars2.com that has some background, but not a lot. There are books written "Ghosts of Ascalon" and "Edge of Destiny" that provide a lot of story script. Then there are some blog articles that ArenaNet has done with some lore.

Otherwise we want to put God in our RP story. Did you see the topic for a RP meeting in about 3 weeks? Make sure you post in there. I am looking for anyone interested whether they like writing or want to learn how to write.

Odid

The number one reason I joined the Saints was the guild was advertised as both Christian and RP. And the number one reason it took me so long to get involve with the Saints was the guild chose to ignore the needs of the RP community by selecting a PvP-only server. I was so taken back by this decision, that like many of you, I rolled on an RP server and kept my other games active - waiting and watching the forums for over a year, hoping. During this time, I found the best RP server in SWTOR is The Ebon Hawk (PVE), and it is thick with RP. I have not played on any of the RP-PVP types.

To my knowledge, there are no "RP" servers in GW2. So after long thought and deeper discussions with the RP powerhouses, many of the movers and shakers of this guild. I have come to a conclusion. I liked this guild. I like what it is trying to do. This discussion is likely a make or break for me, as far as gaming with the guild goes. If the guild chooses an RP friendly server often called the unofficial RP server by the players, I will be involved. So, it all depends on leadership's priorities, values, and their view of our needs; which is why I am bothering to voice this important view for our RP community. If leadership values and wants RP talent here working together within the MMORPG environment, we can be here for them. I can be here for them. I am not the type that can find that endless thrill in the grind of hitting things with sticks repeatedly, but I do like good uplifting company, all the gaming content and the strategies, and plenty of endgame mixed up in my in-game RP environment, and GW2 has the potential to do just what every role player dreams of. It has the potential for heroes, villainy, treachery, danger, story, and most importantly -unity for a cause, and ours would be Christ. It appears leadership broke RP this past year in the paramount and pivotal event of server selection for SWTOR, but it is a newish guild and still in the learning pains of growth. It is up to them to back RP by server selection, and it is up to us to support it. And it is the only way, I will get to enjoy and play my best game style.

For pre-launch, Tarnished Coast was the unofficial roleplaying server. I just hope where ever the Saints land it is the best of both styles of play.

~Boots

*bows to the leadership and next to the people and then watches and waits.*
SaintOdid

Boots,

I will be honest with you, I think we can make RP work even if it is not an "official" RP does not mean we cannot do RP. Because the way I play is that I am playing the Character I created as I desire them to be. That is why I look up lore and even play the games because I loved playing RP games with my friends back in high school (FYI I was a sports Jock that played nerd games hehe). I think it would be fun to find a group here that likes RP, and wants to play together when they can. I have been working on creating my background story for all my potential characters.

So Boots, I think it would be awesome to get a solid group in GW2 to work together, maybe we can all meet on TS??? That is those who want to group up.

GW2 is a one side server with no good or bad, so the PvE will be easy to do RP... even though other will not, but a 5 man group could have a lot of fun. IN LOTRO, we had a special day set as the day to group up. We created a certain character for this group... the best part about GW2 is that when you are lvl 20 and go to a lvl 4 area, your character adjusts to that level... it is called sidekicking. So even if we were to get ahead in level we can still meet and have fun.

So what do think about that? I can truly see this working and people will not have to worry about it if they get ahead at the same time =)

I hope that is encouraging... It would be fun to travel with an RP group.

Odid

I agree with Odid that the server does not need to dictate if we are going to have fun in rp or not. Since the servers are all one-sided there will be no pvp ganking to mess up RPs. The most fun I ever had was with a small band of rpers, and I am sure we can make alliances with roleplaying guilds on the server we choose. Also, I think you pointed it out, Boots, that you found the best rp server to be a PvE server in SWTOR, not even on a designated rp server.

The roleplaying was missing on SWTOR partly because of a lack of motivation and a loss of rp members from the game. We won't have that in Guild Wars 2.
B00TS

hmmmm....

I have stopped a server war. (The guild leader was offline, and I was the highest ranking officer available. That war was rather too close. The whole Stygian alliance was in my face. You see, the game is like a living book to in-game Role Players on a rp-pvp server, and one has no control over what another faction might do.)

I have lead soldiers to battle few times. (ooc~ the pvp members wanted to battle anyway, and well... My main character never did.)

I have defended ground, RP, and battlekeeps, manned the catapults and ballista but especially loved dogging the steps of the guild leader's advances, keeping him alive in PVP. That was a blast! I spent over a year with one of the best tactical fighting guilds on the AoC pvp server (Cimmeria).

I have mediated between guilds, attended guild summits, been part of guild alliances as long as I can remember being in guilds. And I have made a lot of life-long friends.

But I have never, never-ever played in-game guild-only RP.

Let me think on how I will RP without being on an RP server. Perhaps I could learn to talk to myself and get some satisfaction from it when you guys go offline or the guild is busy hitting things and other players with sticks repeatedly. LOL

I still stand with my previous statement. RP without being on a RP server (unofficial or no) is like being on a dead PVP server.

Thanks for replying. It is helpful to view different opinions.

~Boots
Voha

I believe the dynamic event system is the best RP tool in a game to date. Regardless of what server you are on, the world lends itself to RP if you allow it.

As far as RP vs. non-RP servers in other games - I have played on both quite a lot. While you tend to get less childishness on RP servers, you tend to get more arrogance and elitism. Not to mention quite a few of the RP guilds are what they like to call 'mature' but is really an excuse to act out very non-Christian fantasies.
SaintOdid

The only reason that I can see RP die off if people let... I would encourage you to watch GW2 videos in youtube that you could can a cleaner view of how it is designed. Since they took away the trinity aspect... there is no need for Tanf, Healer, DPS... it is armor value, DPS, and Support. This is more like how true RPG's were based on... in old fashion RPG there was not tank... just tactics that mattered. ArenaNet is bringing that style into an amazing MMO. Dodge, a so needed skill... which is in GW2. When you watch some of the videos whether it is WvWvW, PvPc, PvE gameplay... you will see the potential of RP. The individual Story lines can have people join them (prime for RP playing) as well as PvE is about groups working together... a solid RP group of people will be awesome. Even if we went into WvWvW... if we had a raid of 15-25 Saints in battle does not mean we have to group up... that is what TeamSpeak for hehe... in our group we can play RP.

As I said before... ArenaNet did not forget RP, they integrated it into the system... only those who played true RPG's back in the day... can see it clearly... Thas can you =)?

I find myself already writing my backgrounds for my characters... woot!

Odid

The Roleplayers of Guild Wars 2 have voted for Tarnished Coast.

Pros:

1. It is a full on dedicated group of roleplayers on one server, insuring a roleplaying community.

2. We could make alliances with appropriate roleplaying guilds.

3. We could name the guild for something that would untarnish the server. Like the Saints of Clarity or the Saints of the Pure.

4. This server could give us many people to witness to through our roleplaying. There are Christian roleplayers that will be surrounded by others not of the faith, so this could be a sanctuary for them and their children.

Cons:

1. Some roleplayers cannot be trusted to keep it clean, but then again a lot of PvPers are the same outside of a Christian guild.

2. There will most likely be anti-Christian guilds out there that roleplay.

3. The name Tarnished Coast isn't exactly the brightest name.

4. Also, by making the stipulation that the server needs to be on a server based solely on one aspect of the game it could create disharmony.
Voha

TC is also very, very full because of the unofficial RP status. That can be both good and bad.
B00TS

Do we have a poll or any idea of how many folks are going to play GW2 at launch?
How many will be RPing in game?
How many will RP in forums?
Does the GW2 leader have a plan to incorporate or collaborate with the S3G RP community for presence within the game?

Thaspeare

shazeen wrote:
Do we have a poll or any idea of how many folks are going to play GW2 at launch?
Does the GW2 leader have a plan to incorporate or collaborate with the S3G RP community for presence within the game?

I just created 2 polls to help answer these questions.
NYG
Honorary Staff
The Last Jedi

The Last Jedi
Awarded:

shazeen wrote:

We had a poll up, but you can find it here. If you go to the Polls page, there are actually a coupld of polls involving members who are interested in playing GW2, planning on playing it, etc. etc.

I cannot answer how many will be RPing on forums or in the game. Sorry. But we seem to have a core group of members interested in doing so.

GW2 does not have an assigned Guild Director/GM yet. Whoever that may be, they will be assigned to my division. More to come - stay tuned to the Guild Announcements for more.

Oh, here is Thaspeare's poll (in the GW2 forum): http://sotor.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8522262&gid=91149

Megamind: [from projector] Over here, old friend! In case you've noticed, you've fallen right into my trap!

Metro Man: You can't trap justice. It's an idea, a BELIEF!

Megamind: Even the most heartfelt belief can get corroded over time!

Metro Man: Justice is a non-corrosive metal!

Megamind: But metals can be melted by the heat of revanchge!

Metro Man: It's REVENGE, and it's best served cold!

Megamind: But it can easily be reheated, in the microwave of evil!

Metro Man: Well I think your warranty's is about to expire!

Megamind: Maybe I got an extended warranty!

Metro Man: Warranties are invalid, if used beyond their intended purpose!

SaintOdid

NYG wrote:

GW2 does not have an assigned Guild Director/GM yet. Whoever that may be, they will be assigned to my division. More to come - stay tuned to the Guild Announcements for more.

NYG,

I sent you a PM on a question about this position you mentioned, could you answer when you have a chance.

Odid

The Last Jedi
Awarded:

SaintOdid wrote:
NYG wrote:

NYG,

I sent you a PM on a question about this position you mentioned, could you answer when you have a chance.

Odid

Certainly.

Megamind: [from projector] Over here, old friend! In case you've noticed, you've fallen right into my trap!

Metro Man: You can't trap justice. It's an idea, a BELIEF!

Megamind: Even the most heartfelt belief can get corroded over time!

Metro Man: Justice is a non-corrosive metal!

Megamind: But metals can be melted by the heat of revanchge!

Metro Man: It's REVENGE, and it's best served cold!

Megamind: But it can easily be reheated, in the microwave of evil!

Metro Man: Well I think your warranty's is about to expire!

Megamind: Maybe I got an extended warranty!

Metro Man: Warranties are invalid, if used beyond their intended purpose!

SaintOdid

YAY Iconic!!!

We have the RP sectioned changed and set for individual game RP

Odid

Page 3 of 4

Jump to: