Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Computers & Tech Support
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Towne
Veteran
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

re: AMD Ryzen

I watched a couple of vidoes about it. It seems neat.

Here is one of the vidoes I watched.

https://youtu.be/qTu7ryfKO5E

I'm interested, too.

It seems they are not looking to do much in the under-$100 market, which I had hoped, but even their $2-300 processors look like (seem like, hopefully will be) they're going to be quite awesome!

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered . . . Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going, because they were holding on to something.”   ~Sam Gamgee in The Two Towers

Jao Thaun
Overseer
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master
Awarded:

Finally! I am glad AMD has a CPU that can compete with Intel again. I refuse to pay Intel's overpriced prices and have always had good results with AMD processors.

Elder Jedi Grand Master

Ryzen eats Intel CPUs for lunch.

Forum Image

Jedi Master

Jedi Master
Awarded:

Intrepid Corsair wrote:

Forum Image

Hokey smokes, Bullwinkle! Been a long time since an AMD CPU outperformed Intel's front-line gear like that.

So, my question now is, in what types of applications would multi-threaded prowess be of significant benefit?
Jao Thaun
Overseer
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master
Awarded:

Intrepid Corsair wrote:

At just a fraction of the cost! Show's you how inflated Intel's prices are. WoW.

Elder Jedi Grand Master

Spectus wrote:
Intrepid Corsair wrote:

Forum Image

Hokey smokes, Bullwinkle! Been a long time since an AMD CPU outperformed Intel's front-line gear like that.

So, my question now is, in what types of applications would multi-threaded prowess be of significant benefit?

Most newer games on the market are starting to take advantage of multi thread CPUs. Star Citizen is a good example of this.

Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

Jao Thaun wrote:
Intrepid Corsair wrote:

At just a fraction of the cost! Show's you how inflated Intel's prices are. WoW.

Even though this is true, Intel still sells their overpriced equipment to a very large dedicated group of individuals. However, they don't get the approval of the majority of hardcore gamers because gamers know AMD is the best for the money.

Next thing AMD needs to do is get some better energy usage on gpus and they'll be rockin

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered . . . Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going, because they were holding on to something.”   ~Sam Gamgee in The Two Towers

Intrepid Corsair
Chief Executive Officer
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

Free IC wrote:
Next thing AMD needs to do is get some better energy usage on gpus and they'll be rockin

I have a powerful 1000 watt power supply so feeding performance isn't an issue. Plus, it's nice in the winter months because it acts like a space heater. Summer, not so much.

Jedi Master

Jedi Master
Awarded:

Intrepid Corsair wrote:
Free IC wrote:

I have a powerful 1000 watt power supply so feeding performance isn't an issue. Plus, it's nice in the winter months because it acts like a space heater. Summer, not so much.

You could always use it as a heat source for making s'mores...
Intrepid Corsair
Chief Executive Officer
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

Spectus wrote:
Intrepid Corsair wrote:
Free IC wrote:

You could always use it as a heat source for making s'mores...

But the goo dripping into my 200mm fans is so cringe worthy.

Well I just meant that's a lot of power, I think the 10x0's have a lot better performance/wattage ratio, but anywho.

Mmmmm smores

Kix276

Jao Thaun wrote:
Intrepid Corsair wrote:

Well considering that the 6900K came out a year ago and it was Intels top of the line at the time and every top of the line consumer processor that is build by Intel that is also a server processor is going to cost a bunch of money. Now the 7700k might be comparable because it just came out and costs about the same as what AMD is coming out with sure. Course 4 cores vs 8 cores on a multi core test, sure the 8 core is going to win most likely. I do like the price for what you get though. I am glad that AMD decided to actually compete and not just sit on the sidelines being a seat warmer. We will see how AMD does with this chip and see if it's any good after people actually start using it. Last time AMD had a good chip was the AMD 945 I think it was over a decade ago. It's been a few years.
Intrepid Corsair
Chief Executive Officer
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

Kix276 wrote:
Jao Thaun wrote:
Intrepid Corsair wrote:

Well considering that the 6900K came out a year ago and it was Intels top of the line at the time and every top of the line consumer processor that is build by Intel that is also a server processor is going to cost a bunch of money. Now the 7700k might be comparable because it just came out and costs about the same as what AMD is coming out with sure. Course 4 cores vs 8 cores on a multi core test, sure the 8 core is going to win most likely. I do like the price for what you get though. I am glad that AMD decided to actually compete and not just sit on the sidelines being a seat warmer. We will see how AMD does with this chip and see if it's any good after people actually start using it. Last time AMD had a good chip was the AMD 945 I think it was over a decade ago. It's been a few years.

Yeah. I have to agree that AMD is a bit slow to release their competitive tech. I suppose you get what you pay for. Spend a bunch of money to get a fast processor from Intel today or wait a year for AMD to catch up and sucker punch Intel with a lowball price.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: