Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Roleplaying
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naandi

re: So....What are the Saints?

I know this is a stupid question. I know it without asking it. But since I hate making assumptions when writing a character background, I suppose I'll ask anyway.

What exactly are the Saints? I /think/ from reading a few of the stories (which I have definitely not read enough of) that they are a group of Jedi specifically tasked to protect the Republic Smuggling Contingency. But then are the Troopers and Smugglers ICly part of the Saints? Do they receive their orders from the Jedi Council? Or are we vigilantes since we're helping what I assume to be a criminal organization? What are our origins (in a sentence)? How does one become a part of the Saints (ICly)?

Maybe I'm asking too many questions that aren't really important. and more than likely I just haven't read the right forum yet. But is there a quick and simple answer to this?

Jedi Master

No Naandi, I too have wondered the same thing. It is a good question.

From what I have gathered from my reading Jao establishes the Saints under order from the Jedi Council. The Saints were formed before they were assigned to "watch over" the smuggler contingency on Ord Mantel. A few RP'ers have tried to address this issue of "what are the Saints?" how they function, who they get their orders from, etc...

Really I am not sure anyone but Jao can answer this, for now, maybe one of the Councilors, as how Guilds function within TOR has not yet been revealed.

I have no doubt my game character will be getting orders from the Council directly, but I also know that we will be getting direction from our guild leaders as well. From an RP viewpoint, I would imagine this structure to not be in conflict, but rather in tandem with each other.

I doubt this was very helpful, so I am going to go refresh my memory by delving into the archives of the RP section. I will report back if I make any relevant findings.

EDIT/UPDATE: Ah yes! Here it is. (I have read every post in both the RP and Bio section in the last two weeks... at some point it all started to blend together.

In Jao's Bio http://sotor.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5400701&gid=91149 he describes the Saints as...
Quote:
In the year ATC 1/3652 BBY, the Republic chose a new strategy and commissioned many Jedi to start small hidden cells scattered throughout the Republic that would work as an individual strike force across many planets. They hoped that these cells would pose a wise counter-defensive to the Sith's unpredictability in their planetary attacks and strategic targets. Jao Thaun started such a cell, codenamed the Saints of The Old Republic.

This is epically awesome... so then, we are a secret strike force codenamed "The Saints." Therefore it would make sense we have troopers and smugglers as well as Jedi under Jao's commission.

I hope THAT helps.
Jao Thaun
Overseer
The Last Jedi

The Last Jedi
Awarded:

Ah, you ask an interesting question, one which will be revealed in "The Genesis" of the Saints.

Jedi Master
Awarded:

I'll give this one a shot.

The Jedi Counsel ordered the creation of "cell" groups to combat localized Sith activities throughout the galaxy. The cells were to operate independently from one another to preserve the security (bounty hunters are having a field day at this time) of the jedi and to prevent compromise of other cells should one cell member be captured.

Jaos assignment was to establish a cell on Ord Mantell. It follows that members of the Saints are part of the Republic forces, also assigned to the Ord Mantell cell, although it is perfectly conceivable that "civilians" would be recruited into the cell from the local populace.

This is the basic premise that I remember from what I read-seems like such a long time ago.

Jedi Master

Jedi Master

What is the Genesis you speak of?!?

Ahhhh.... "we aren't ready to talk about that yet" thing huh?

So sad...

When might we expect to see Genesis released for our eager eyes to gaze upon?

I swear our Guild has almost as many reveals, secrets, and suspense as SWTOR itself! tongue out
Jao Thaun
Overseer
The Last Jedi

The Last Jedi
Awarded:

re: Re: So....What are the Saints?

Naandi wrote:
What exactly are the Saints? I /think/ from reading a few of the stories (which I have definitely not read enough of) that they are a group of Jedi specifically tasked to protect the Republic Smuggling Contingency. But then are the Troopers and Smugglers ICly part of the Saints? Do they receive their orders from the Jedi Council? Or are we vigilantes since we're helping what I assume to be a criminal organization?

That question is actually answered in the first paragraph of Scattered.

Quote:
The Saints had been ordered by the Jedi High Council to remain hidden on Ord Mantell where they provided a quick and close defense for the Republic Smuggling Contingency operations which provided supplies that were vital to the survival of recovering Republic colonies.

The Smugglers were smuggling supplies into the contingency which were then rationed to recovering Republic cities and colonies from the attack. The Saints were not part of the contingency but were assigned protect it... and it was under the supervision of the Republic military.

Alright. I think I understand now. And that's a very well thought out way to involve all Republic classes. Thanks for the clarification!

The Last Jedi
Awarded:

This is the Genesis I speak of and it tells you who we are and why (for all you roleplayers out there)

Chapter III should be up sometime today, I just have to finish formatting everything.

Jao Thaun wrote:
This is the Genesis I speak of and it tells you who we are and why (for all you roleplayers out there)

Chapter III should be up sometime today, I just have to finish formatting everything.

The only thing that comes up for me is chapter one...

Jump to: