Membership Application
Social Networks
Support the Saints
Members Online
Latest Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Computers & Tech Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Free IC

re: Powercolor GPU's (AMD)

I have a Powercolor R9 280 OC Turboduo and since my temps have been quite low, I've been studying how to overclock it.

I have discovered a couple of things:

1) Most GPU overclocking guides say that the first step is to up the power (ie, to +20%) consumption. However, whenever I touch this, it actually messes up. In contrast, if I don't adjust it, I am able to get a very nice overclock. The R9 280's are rebranded 7950's, I wonder if anyone else has come across this before, either with this brand or this kind of card? At least one person on Tom's hardware said he had a similar experience to mine.

2) Furmark is always unstable, but I'm able to get an overclock on every other benchmark program, Cinebench, Unigine Heaven 11, 3D Mark 11 Sky Diver, are the ones I've been using. Some say that AMD and INTEL have made their cards to NOT work with Furmark, since it has killed a lot of cards. Yet there are others who swear by furmark. It definitely was unstable with my system so I've given up using it. Any thoughts on that? I'm just trying to learn.

Here are my Tom's Hardware and Overclock.net posts, if you're interested on details.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2618609/overclocking-powercolor-280-interesting-furmark-results.html

http://www.overclock.net/t/1551927/overclocking-r9-280-oc-from-powercolor

Also, if I'm staying under 70*C (close, though) is that generally ok for a GPU? Most of the 'net seems to say that's a fine temp for a card, but I wanted to see if any of our guru's had more input.

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered . . . Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going, because they were holding on to something.”   ~Sam Gamgee in The Two Towers

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Computers & Tech Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: