Membership Application
Social Networks
Support the Saints
ARK Server Hotjoin
Members Online
Member Recognition
Latest Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Computers & Tech Support
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
DrZ3
Veteran
Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight
Awarded:

re: Need laptop advice

Hia, everyone! I'm looking at getting a new laptop (as most of you know, my old lappy has pretty much been dead for a while now, thus I've been using my dad's desktop), but I've decided it's time to move on and get a laptop again. After a little bit of research, this one seems to be the best one I've found for performance and price. If any of you have a better option, please let me know. Also, don't suggest building my own, because I simply don't have the time or desire to try that. tongue out

Dr. Z, a half crazy Elvish scientist

Free IC
Honorary Staff
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

wow, i'm impressed. Not bad at all for the price.

I'm not sure what laptop you were using before or if this will be an upgrade. I was curious about the "Radeon R7" they were talking about.

BTW Lenovo is a solid company to buy from. My wife's loved her last two lenovo's and she had an ibm thinkpad before that. They are good overall.

For the graphics, there is a GPU but it works together in crossfire with the integrated cpu and there won't be a way to separate it. Here's a lenovo forum discussion about that: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/How-to-use-the-dedicated-graphics-card-on-Z50-75/m-p/2218848#M135629

Overall it's gonna be way better at gaming than any laptop i have had, but not sure how much better. For lotro you'll definitely be fine, but I wonder if somehting like this will run minecraft or more graphics intensive like Ark. People say it runs LOL very well, at least. Not sure what you play.

I'm curious myself because my son's gotten interested in Minecraft and the kids fight over their computer, so I'm considering buying/building a new computer for that. The cheapest one was thinking of building would be around $600. If this could do Minecraft I might go for it myself too and leave it on a simple desk.

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered . . . Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going, because they were holding on to something.”   ~Sam Gamgee in The Two Towers

DrZ3
Veteran
Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight
Awarded:

Free IC wrote:
wow, i'm impressed. Not bad at all for the price.

I'm not sure what laptop you were using before or if this will be an upgrade. I was curious about the "Radeon R7" they were talking about.

BTW Lenovo is a solid company to buy from. My wife's loved her last two lenovo's and she had an ibm thinkpad before that. They are good overall.

For the graphics, there is a GPU but it works together in crossfire with the integrated cpu and there won't be a way to separate it. Here's a lenovo forum discussion about that: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/How-to-use-the-dedicated-graphics-card-on-Z50-75/m-p/2218848#M135629

Overall it's gonna be way better at gaming than any laptop i have had, but not sure how much better. For lotro you'll definitely be fine, but I wonder if somehting like this will run minecraft or more graphics intensive like Ark. People say it runs LOL very well, at least. Not sure what you play.

I'm curious myself because my son's gotten interested in Minecraft and the kids fight over their computer, so I'm considering buying/building a new computer for that. The cheapest one was thinking of building would be around $600. If this could do Minecraft I might go for it myself too and leave it on a simple desk.

Well, my main game is LOTRO, then my backups are mostly Star Trek Online and ARK. If I'm not able to play ARK it's fine, as long as my fellow Saints help keep my base protected and my dinos fed. As for my old computer, it is a HP Pavillion g7 Notebook, Window 8 edition. It's over three years old and I think the consistent updates to new versions of Windows has really dragged it down.

Intrepid Corsair
Arbitrator
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

My laptop is a basic Intel core duo. It plays LOTRO just fine. I'm not a fan of laptop because they are just not worth the money for the lack of performance. I'd suggest getting the cheapest laptop money can buy and save for a good desk top. My 2 cents anyway.

Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight
Awarded:

Intrepid Corsair wrote:
My laptop is a basic Intel core duo. It plays LOTRO just fine. I'm not a fan of laptop because they are just not worth the money for the lack of performance. I'd suggest getting the cheapest laptop money can buy and save for a good desk top. My 2 cents anyway.

Desktop is out of the question as I will be on the move for probably the next 10 years or so...just looking for something to get me through college.

scootzter
Arbitrator
Jedi Consular

Jedi Consular

DrZ3 wrote:
Intrepid Corsair wrote:

Desktop is out of the question as I will be on the move for probably the next 10 years or so...just looking for something to get me through college.

Wait, why are you on the move for 10 years?
DrZ3
Veteran
Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight
Awarded:

scootzter wrote:
DrZ3 wrote:
Intrepid Corsair wrote:

Wait, why are you on the move for 10 years?

Ummm...I am on the run from the Russian mafia? tongue out (I'm joking, LOL) Actually, I will be on the move because in order to become a paleontologist I need to go to like three different schools for three different degrees in order to get my PHD. I will probably be starting my "journey" next month, as I will Lord willing be moving to my grandparent farm to help my uncle while starting my college classes online.

Free IC
Honorary Staff
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

In that case, it's hard to miss on a Lenovo. Won't be anything fantastic, but they are sturdy and that looks like a decent machine. I asked a question about whether it could run minecraft at least, and a parent said his kid plays all kinds of games on it including minecraft.

Now you can probably get a refurb core 2 duo for 225 or something, but this seems like a good laptop to have for me.

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered . . . Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going, because they were holding on to something.”   ~Sam Gamgee in The Two Towers

Towne
Veteran
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

This is the one I got; https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315927

I still go with Corsair and get a basic laptop or something where you can do some gaming. Then also get a desktop. If your are going to live in the dorms or apartments will in college and only really moving for internships or to the different college you will be fine with a desktop.

Jedi Knight
Awarded:

Towne wrote:
This is the one I got; https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315927

I still go with Corsair and get a basic laptop or something where you can do some gaming. Then also get a desktop. If your are going to live in the dorms or apartments will in college and only really moving for internships or to the different college you will be fine with a desktop.

OK, thanks! I will definitely be looking into desktops later on, but for now I think I'll stick with getting a good laptop, at least until I'm fully out on my own (which will probably be a few years down the road, when I'm done helping at my uncle's farm and done with my online courses and on my way to an actual college).

Towne
Veteran
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

That's good bro, What I did when I was in college I got a laptop that would last me a few years. At the time it was $1000. It had an asus G72 something I think. I don't remember all the specs. I know it had a gtx 260m, 8gbs of ram, 500 gb hard drive, don't remember everything lol it was back in 2009. But do what you feel lead to do bro Happy

Jedi Knight
Awarded:

Towne wrote:
That's good bro, What I did when I was in college I got a laptop that would last me a few years. At the time it was $1000. It had an asus G72 something I think. I don't remember all the specs. I know it had a gtx 260m, 8gbs of ram, 500 gb hard drive, don't remember everything lol it was back in 2009. But do what you feel lead to do bro Happy

Nice! Yeah, I'll probably get this one for now...should last me until I have the finances and time to upgrade...

DrZ3
Veteran
Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight
Awarded:

OK, I ordered the laptop, along with a cooling pad. If you all want my thoughts on it after I've used it for a while, I'll definitely post a review! wink

NYG
Honorary Staff
The Last Jedi

The Last Jedi
Awarded:

The only thing I miss about my laptop was portability. The one you are looking it certainly seems like it will play your games well. Just keep up on the updates for the graphics and such. Good luck with it (and with the Maf...err, school). ;p

Megamind: [from projector] Over here, old friend! In case you've noticed, you've fallen right into my trap!

Metro Man: You can't trap justice. It's an idea, a BELIEF!

Megamind: Even the most heartfelt belief can get corroded over time!

Metro Man: Justice is a non-corrosive metal!

Megamind: But metals can be melted by the heat of revanchge!

Metro Man: It's REVENGE, and it's best served cold!

Megamind: But it can easily be reheated, in the microwave of evil!

Metro Man: Well I think your warranty's is about to expire!

Megamind: Maybe I got an extended warranty!

Metro Man: Warranties are invalid, if used beyond their intended purpose!

DrZ3
Veteran
Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight
Awarded:

NYG wrote:
The only thing I miss about my laptop was portability. The one you are looking it certainly seems like it will play your games well. Just keep up on the updates for the graphics and such. Good luck with it (and with the Maf...err, school). ;p

LOL, will do! wink

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Computers & Tech Support All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: