Membership Application
Social Networks
Support the Saints
ARK Server Hotjoin
Members Online
Member Recognition
Latest Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Yehochanan
Veteran
Jedi Apprentice

Jedi Apprentice

re: Solar Eclipse 2017

ive been looking forward to this since the perseids last year. my wife and i are driving to nashville. that way, if its cloudy we can still find something fun to do. i went on amazon and bought some special glasses so we can look right at it without burning up our eyeballs.

smarter every day posted a vid about it last month. i learned something about eclipses i didnt know before, like shadow bands, and bailys beads. im super excited! cant wait!

what about yall? anyone else into it? the path is kind of oregon, to nebraska, to tennessee, to the carolinas.

some links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_August_21,_2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_bands

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baily%27s_beads

https://youtu.be/qc7MfcKF1-s

https://youtu.be/fmg01KYfjc0

Young Jedi Padawan

Young Jedi Padawan
Awarded:

Yes. I also bought glasses. A dozen. So all my grandkids would be safe looking at the sun! I tried them already and they work well. We also have a couple of pieces of welders glass that we used in years past with our kids. We are driving to Clarksville (40 minutes north of Nashville) to our daughter's to watch the eclipse. We seem to go there a couple times a year. Don't care for the drive, but love the kids and grandkids! We just got home from there 2 weeks ago. lol.

Isa 30:21 Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying,“This is the way, walk in it," Whenever you turn to the right hand or whenever you turn to the left.

Free IC
Honorary Staff
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

I have a friend who is a physics professor and he's driving 8 hours to St. Joseph MO to see the eclipse there and was asking me if I'd planned anything . . . it would be a 3 hour drive for me so I don't know. I remember an eclipse we saw in Middle school though, very neat.

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered . . . Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going, because they were holding on to something.”   ~Sam Gamgee in The Two Towers

Spectus
Staff Emeritus
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master
Awarded:

I'm definitely looking forward to it! Gonna be the longest total-eclipse path in the continental USA in my lifetime. I've been looking forward to this one since I was a kid, and watched the 1973 eclipse on TV. I live in Huntsville, AL, which is just a bit south of the umbra path. If the weather's clear and I'm not working, I may do a road trip north to catch the totality.

Vadis
Jedi Vadis
Honorary Staff
Young Jedi Master

Young Jedi Master

I'm ready for a total eclipse...of the heart. (apologies to Bonnie Tyler)

But seriously thank you, Yehochanan, for posting. Will be cool to watch. Since you'll be in Nashville and have the best vantage point, will there be any pics or video you can post here of the event?

"Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish." Luke 13:4-5
Intrepid Corsair
Arbitrator
Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

Jedi Vadis wrote:
I'm ready for a total eclipse...of the heart. (apologies to Bonnie Tyler)

Forum Image

Jedi Apprentice

Jedi Apprentice

at a walmart parking lot in white house, tennessee. c1 happened about 15 minutes ago, which is when the moon just begins to cover the sun. its neat looking. wish i had the equipment to take photos. i tried one with my phone camera through my saftey glasses, but it really just looks like a tiny orange splotch.

the weather is partly cloudy right now, but the main event is about ninety minutes away, so hopefully it clears up. between c2 and c3, when the eclipse is total, there are a lot things to observe. in my location, the duration is supposed to be 2 minutes, 39 seconds. gonna try to get some good photos and videos. wish me luck!

Elder Jedi Grand Master

Elder Jedi Grand Master

If you don't get it this time, it will occur here in Texas in 2024 with an extremely cool annular eclipse (ring of fire) in 2023.

Jedi Apprentice

Jedi Apprentice

http://i.imgur.com/DeLtxW1.jpg

cell phone pic of partial eclipse taken through safety glasses. i am the mickey mouse-est of mickey mouse photographers...

Jedi Commander

Jedi Commander
Awarded:

LOL I can't see much. xD

The Gaming Disciple
Ladialyse
Veteran
Young Jedi Padawan

Young Jedi Padawan
Awarded:

I am in Clarksville, TN. It was AWESOME. Not like any eclipse I have ever seen. Totality is worth ANY drive. I would upload a photo, but I can't remember how. doh. Don't laugh at me, I'm a grandma.

Isa 30:21 Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying,“This is the way, walk in it," Whenever you turn to the right hand or whenever you turn to the left.

Yehochanan
Veteran
Jedi Apprentice

Jedi Apprentice

http://imgur.com/a/vYPDp

more terrible photos. like i said, taken with a camera phone by an idiot pointing it through eclipse viewing glasses. i have some video of shadow bands and the 360° "sunset". ill put those on youtube when i can.

Young Jedi Initiate

Young Jedi Initiate

Just got back from Hopkinsville KY, the greatest point of the eclipse, where we have been camping for three days. No pictures can capture the beauty and pure light of a solar eclipse in totality. Not even professional pictures. Us older ones were in tears. The song Overwhelmed started going through my mind. (Which is exactly what I was at the moment) There is no possible way God does not exist

Young Jedi Initiate

Young Jedi Initiate

He is amazing and so wonderful to us

Young Jedi Padawan

Young Jedi Padawan
Awarded:

Blappie, I was right next door literally, in Clarksville, TN at my daughter's. It was AMAZING!!!!! My daughter lives on the state line.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Discord Users

Featured Poll
Recent Awards