Membership Application
Social Networks
Support the Saints
ARK Server Hotjoin
Members Online
Member Recognition
Latest Forum PostsLast Forum Post RSS Feed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apoapsis
Veteran
Jedi Apprentice

Jedi Apprentice

re: Ham (amateur) radio

Anyone in Saints happen to be involved w/ amateur radio? I've lately taken up an interest in getting my technician level license (that's the basic license for amateur radio in the us).

I have already purchased a handheld transceiver just to listen on until I get my license and was just wondering if anyone else shared an interest in ham radio.

(that and I wouldn't mind a little help getting started)

-Apoapsis (Apsis)

Ships: Terrapin (LTI), Freelancer MIS (LTI), Mustang Gamma (LTI), Reliant (LTI), P-72 Archimedes (LTI), Prospector (LTI)
DrZ3
Veteran
Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight
Awarded:

re: Re: Ham (amateur) radio

Apoapsis wrote:
Anyone in Saints happen to be involved w/ amateur radio? I've lately taken up an interest in getting my technician level license (that's the basic license for amateur radio in the us).

I have already purchased a handheld transceiver just to listen on until I get my license and was just wondering if anyone else shared an interest in ham radio.

(that and I wouldn't mind a little help getting started)

Like doing radio? My dad (Zipdryve) owns a Christian Hard Rock, Heavy Metal station called Weathered Steel. Also, Spectus has done Christian radio. I've helped with doing some DJing for churches and weddings.

Dr. Z, a half crazy Elvish scientist

Apoapsis
Veteran
Jedi Apprentice

Jedi Apprentice

Ham radio is different than commercial radio, you're not allowed to broadcast (transmit where the intended recipient is the general public) or transmit music (except in certain situations).

-Apoapsis (Apsis)

Ships: Terrapin (LTI), Freelancer MIS (LTI), Mustang Gamma (LTI), Reliant (LTI), P-72 Archimedes (LTI), Prospector (LTI)
Yehochanan
Veteran
Young Jedi Apprentice

Young Jedi Apprentice

im a general class. i dont do any hf yet. just local vhf uhf repeaters and irlp stuff. check out the alaska morning net. i get it on a 2m repeater here in houston. not "real" radio of course, but fun.

Last edited by Yehochanan on Oct. 12th, 2017 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jedi Apprentice

Jedi Apprentice

Haven't really picked up anything yet, most frequencies seem quiet, i may need a better antenna. I do get the weather and FM stations.

-Apoapsis (Apsis)

Yehochanan
Veteran
Young Jedi Apprentice

Young Jedi Apprentice

aa9pw.com is an excellent resource for exam prep. i also highly recommend you obtain an fcc registration number so you dont have to use your social security number for the license application. and if youve bought a uv5r, theyre fine, but try to make sure its relatively free from spurious emissions before xmiting.

Jedi Apprentice

Jedi Apprentice

Was planning to get my FRN, there isn't a local ham license test available here until around December though
will just keep studying on and off until then. I should easily be able to get at least the technician level though.

I am a little concerned I'm not picking anything up at all on my Baofeng 82hp. I've scanned all the local repeaters quite a bit. Also had it sitting on my desk just scanning frequencies.

It does pick up the weather and commercial FM radio, so I do know the receiver works...

-Apoapsis (Apsis)

Yehochanan
Veteran
Young Jedi Apprentice

Young Jedi Apprentice

the technician license isnt tough, and theres a lot of free guides online. when youre ready for the general class exam, this was a huge help for me.

http://www.w5yi.org/catalog_details.php?pid=72

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Discord Users

Featured Poll
Recent Awards