Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Roleplaying
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erolene

re: No Place Like Home

No Place Like Home, Part one

Nevari Devira could barely keep her eyes open.
She was travelling through hyperspace now, towards her home planet of Talravin, one of the Core worlds. When the Saint’s secret base on Ord Mantell had been discovered, she could think of nowhere else to go.

Before Nevari left for the academy on Tython, her family was inseparable. She knew at least one of them would have her back. But she hadn’t spoken to her family in two years.

With these thoughts, Nevari almost fell asleep, then felt a sharp pain. She knew immediately what it meant. The Saints hiding place had been cleansed of all life that remained. She hoped some of them had gotten out. She had never made friends easily, but she had friends in that base. And now the Sith had taken that from her. Nevari blinked back tears. She would get to Talravin and then fall apart.

A few hours later, the counter reached zero. Nevari pushed the appropriate levers forward, and the bright desert planet came into view. She was lucky it was still a Republic planet.

The comm crackled to life. “Unidentified starfighter, please state your intentions.” An official voice said with a slight hint of boredom.
“This is Nevari Devira, asking for permission to land in the Sataulon spaceport.” There was a pause.

“Permission granted, Miss Devira. Please proceed to docking bay thirteen.” Nevari noticed the voice was no longer slacking. Her father was one of the larger moisture farmers of the area. “Thank you.” She said as she reached the atmosphere.

Almost an hour later, she touched down in the spaceport, rented a landspeeder, and jetted off toward her old home. After a short drive, she was at the door.
Nevari’s heart was pounding as she walked up to the house that was once her home. Calm down, She reasoned with herself. They’re your family. They’ll be happy to see you. She took a deep breath, and knocked on the door.

Her mother answered. She hadn’t changed much in the seven years Nevari had been away. Her hair was still the same strawberry blond as Nevari’s own, though with some gray peeking through now. Her eyes were still the warmest brown, and were currently bright as she smiled. “Vari,” Linada hugged her daughter tightly.

Nevari smiled over her mom’s shoulder. “Hi, Mom.”
Nevari’s mother stepped back, and gestured her inside. Nevari stepped into her old home. It hadn’t changed much, either. Somehow, that fact was comforting. “I’m the only one here right now,” Linada said as they sat down in the kitchen. “Your father is out working, as always, and Cattaya and Brejik are at school.” Nevari smiled at the mention of her two younger siblings.
“How old is Brejik now?” She asked.

“He just turned ten,” Linada said. Her smile faded a little, but Nevari didn’t notice.

“I can’t believe it. He was only three when I left. Where is Meriline these days?”

“She bought herself a ship, like she always said she would. She tells us where she is every once in a while.”

“Oh, what about Leisha? Did she ever end up a Republic pilot?” Nevari asked about the oldest daughter.

Nevari’s mother turned away before answering. “Then… you haven’t heard?”
Nevari narrowed her blue-green eyes. “What haven’t I heard? Is Leisha okay?”

“She’s dead, Vari. Killed in action.” Linada said bluntly.

Erolene

No Place Like Home, Part two

Nevari felt a tear fall down, and she made no attempt to stop it. Leisha taught her all she knew about droids, and always won at Pazzak. Lei always dreamed about being a Republic soldier, fighting the good fight, and ending the reign of the Sith. And she had paid for it with her life.

Nevari now regretted all those times she could of called her sister, and didn’t. Those excuses didn’t seem good enough now. Nevari felt her mother’s hand on her shoulder. “I’m sorry, sweetie.” She said softly.

Wiping her eyes, Nevari made a silent promise. I will stop the Sith. For Leisha, and for the Saints.
. . .

“All of them? Just gone?” Nevari’s father, Niklos, asked later that night. She sat in the kitchen, still, with her mother and father silently listening to the story of Ord Mantell. Cattaya and Brejik were in their rooms, to give the three of them privacy.

“Not all of them.” Nevari clarified. “I know some of them must have gotten out. But when I left, there were a few people who stayed to defend the base. No doubt it was their lives I felt through the Force.” Nevari paused. “It didn’t even occur to me to try and convince them to run. I could feel the Sith coming, I knew their numbers. But what if those who stayed didn’t? What if they died not knowing what they were facing?” She shook her head. “What kind of a Jedi am I?”

“A young one, Vari. You’re still learning.” Niklos reminded her. “Chances are, those people knew what they were facing, and decided to stay anyway. You can’t afford to dwell on what you could have done; it could be fatal for a Jedi.”

Nevari half-smiled. “I hate it when you’re right.” She sighed. “I know what I have to do, now.” Nevari said, just barely keeping a yawn in check.
Linada smiled. “Hopefully it can wait until morning?”
Nevari nodded. “Yes, it can.”

. . .
The next morning, Nevari was on the landspeeder, heading back to docking bay thirteen. Saying goodbye to her family had been hard, but she promised them to call more often, now. She wouldn’t risk a repeat incident.

Nevari turned in her landspeeder key to the same burly man she had received it from yesterday, and went inside her starfighter. As she waited for the engines to warm, she felt the weight of her lightsabers under her robe. They identified her as a member of the Jedi Order. They were a weight, a responsibility, that she had been trained to carry. Then why don’t I feel ready to fight? That was the question she had asked herself last night.

She started the starfighter’s engines, and flew it out of the docking bay, towards the galaxy beyond. Once out of the atmosphere, she checked her nav charts, and set a course for Tython. Nevari pulled the levers back, and entered hyperspace.

She was going to find a Jedi master on Tython, and continue her training.

Last edited by Erolene on Jul. 9th, 2010 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Erolene

No Place Like Home, Part Three

The Jedi temple on Tython was a work of art. Shades of purple, blue and yellow made it feel warm, and the lush forests made for a scenic backdrop. Nevari had missed this place. The pure silence of the meditation rooms, the energy of the Padawans as they dueled with each other; and the fresh air outside that was teeming with life. No matter how much she loved her family on Talravin, this place would always feel like her first home.

After a short audience with the Council, explaining her desire to continue training, Nevari was introduced to a Zabrak Master named Charaya Vow. Master Vow was taller than Nevari by a few inches, had pale brown skin, dark hair that was tied back, and four ivory horns that sat above an intricate tattoo. She looked to be almost fifty, and had the impassive expression of a firm instructor.

Nevari bowed deeply, as was expected of her, and Master Vow acknowledged her with a slight nod. “I’m glad to meet you, Nevari.” Her voice was deep and rich. “Have you already been assigned a room?”

“Yes, Master.” Nevari said, fighting a smile. She felt ten years old again. “Then we shall begin immediately.” Master Vow said. “Tell me, Nevari, what do you hope to learn?” The Zabrak asked as she set aside her over-robe. Nevari set her own robe next to her master’s. “I’d like to relearn the seven forms of the lightsaber, Master.”

Master Vow examined Nevari with pale purplish eyes. “Then I shall teach them. We will begin with the first; Shii-Cho.”

“The Shii-Cho?” Nevari asked. Master Vow smiled slightly. “Yes.”

“But… I already know the Shii-Cho. It’s the first form any apprentice learns.” Nevari protested.

“Well then, Master of the Shii-Cho,” Master Vow said with only slight sarcasm. “I am sure you will be able to best me.” Vow ignited her light green lightsaber.
Well, Nevari thought as she readied her own. At least this will be easy.

A few hours later, as Nevari flopped face-first onto the pallet in her room, she started regretting ever meeting Charaya Vow. Her strawberry blond hair had fallen out of its ties halfway through their duel, and was now a tangled mess; and the neckline of her tunic was soaked with sweat. Master Vow hadn’t let her stop until her form was perfect. I didn’t think it was possible for me to forget that much of Shii-Cho. Nevari thought as she rested her protesting muscles. Her arms hurt especially, as her master was stronger than she looked. She had to keep going, regardless of the pain. The Republic needed her. The Saints needed her.

(Sorry it's kinda short...)

Erolene

No Place Like Home, Part Four

The next morning, Nevari’s shoulders burned every time she lifted her arms. Luckily, she was allowed to start with meditation. She had trouble clearing her mind of all of the crazy events that had happened recently, but somehow she spent some time with her mind in complete silence. After a brief breakfast, Nevari met Master Vow in the dueling room.

“Tell me, Nevari,” Vow began. “What is the second form?”

“Makashi, Master Vow.” Nevari replied without hesitation.

“What is the purpose of this form?”

“To avoid having your lightsabers taken or damaged, Master Vow.”

“What are this form’s advantages and drawbacks?”

Nevari had to think for a moment. “It’s a good form to use when you’re battling a single lightsaber-wielding opponent, but it is harder to deflect blaster bolts or fight multiple enemies.”

Vow narrowed her eyes. “Are you certain?”

Nevari swallowed. “Yes, Master Vow.”

Vow smiled slightly. “To use Makashi, you must be certain. It is an elegant form, calm, almost like a dance. You must be confident that you are going to win. Timing and accuracy are everything.” She nodded to Nevari’s belt. “Ignite your lightsabers.”

Nevari drew her lightsabers with practiced ease, and turned them on. A purplish white blade came from the hilt in her right hand, and an orange blade came from her left. Master Vow watched her like a hawk-bat. “Show me the opening stance.” She instructed.

Nevari inhaled and tried to remember. She smiled as she maneuvered the purple blade low so that it’s tip pointed to the ground. “Place your feet the same width as your shoulders.” Vow reminded her. Nevari stopped smiling, and did so. “Don’t forget your second blade, Jedi.” The Zabrak said next. Nevari held the orange saber so that it was the same as the purple one on her other side. After nearly ten minutes of Master Vow nit-picking at her stance, and Nevari making careful adjustments, she was more than ready to actually begin practicing the form.

“We will both fight using the Makashi form,” Vow said, stepping back and igniting her own lightsaber. “When you can disarm me, we will stop for the day.” Nevari grimaced. Confidence, Nevari. She reminded herself. And the duel began.

Master Vow charged at her as if it was a real battle, her face annoyingly calm and impassive. The Zabrak hit Nevari’s sabers with fast strikes, which the student could barely block. A few more strikes, and before Nevari knew it, the purple blade flung from her hand, switched off, and clattered to the floor.

Vow switched off her own blade. “You didn’t attack me.”

Nevari felt her face flush. “You didn’t give me a chance; it was all I could do to block!” She said, fighting her temper.

Vow’s purplish eyes narrowed. “Do you think the Sith will give you a ‘chance’ to attack? Do you think they will fight fairly?” Her voice was almost bitter. “No, Miss Devira. The Sith will give you no chance to attack them; you have to take it. Until you can understand that, you will not learn.”

Nevari felt frustrated tears in her eyes. “Yes, Master Vow.” She said after a moment.

The Jedi master sighed. “I think that will be all for today, Nevari. Calm yourself and return to me tomorrow.”

“Yes, Master Vow.” Nevari bowed and sought the quiet of her room.

Erolene

No Place Like Home, Part Five

The next morning, Nevari was finally ready to continue training in Maskashi.

“Have you controlled your emotions, my student?” Vow asked kindly.

“Yes, Master Vow.” Nevari said with confidence. “I’m not quitting.”

Vow’s smile made her look years younger. “I’m glad.” She said before the smile disappeared. “We shall continue with your training, Nevari.” Vow’s green blade flashed on.

Nevari’s lightsabers also ignited with a snap-hiss.

The battle was long, with neither Jedi giving an opening for the other. Vow had many years experience on her side, but Nevari was a quick learner, and had the advantage of two blades and determination. Purple and orange clashed with silvery green, sending sparks flying and bathing the walls in color.

After fifteen minutes of blocking and striking, Nevari’s arms burned, and her breath was not much more than a gasp. Finally, Nevari was disarmed once again.

“Catch your breath,” Vow advised, panting herself. “And we will try again.”

Nevari retrieved the lightsaber that had flown from her hand. After a five minute rest, she was ready to try again.

Two more attempts, and half an hour later, Nevari was victorious. She smiled as Master Vow picked up her lightsaber. “Impressive.” Vow admitted with a slight smirk.

Nevari smiled. “Is that a compliment?”

“Go and get some rest.” Vow said, ignoring her. “You’ll need it for tomorrow.”

“Yes, Master Vow.” Nevari said with a bow. She clipped her lightsabers to her belt, and went to her room. She was sure she would be horribly sore in the morning, but for now, she felt wonderful.

“This morning,” Master Vow began the next day. “I want to know what the third form is.”

“Soresu.” Nevari said with a slight smile. Soresu was the form she had studied the most, and it was like a second nature to her.

“Yes. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this form?”

“It’s fast, making it the best form to use when you’re up against opponents using blasters, or when you want to tire out your opponent. It’s mostly a defensive technique, though, and sometimes only delays the inevitable.” Nevari listed without delay.

Master Vow’s eyebrows raised a fraction. “Show me how you would begin.” She requested.

Nevari ignited her lightsabers and held one behind her, and one if front. She was obviously very comfortable in this position.

“You have a nearly perfect stance.” Vow commented. “Shall we see if you know the rest of it?”

Nevari smiled. “I’m ready.”

“Defend against my attacks for as long as you can.” Vow said simply.

Nevari winced as her master’s lightsaber came crashing down on her defenses. An hour later, Nevari had blocked all of her master’s attacks, and Vow finally switched off her weapon. Nevari did the same, and sighed silently.

“If only you put as much effort into every form as you do this one.” Vow said, trying to catch her breath. “That’s enough for today.”

“Yes, Master Vow.” Nevari said as she took her leave

[To be continued]

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Roleplaying All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: