Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saints 3G - A Christian Gaming Guild Community Forum Index -> Roleplaying
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Naandi

re: OOC - Tatooine Sandbox RP

Yay! Another Jawa! Welcome to the partay, Avissi.

I made a lazy photoshop Jawa just in case, you know, you weren't sure what Puki looks like. =p Though, I think I really prefer Arrow's. :D

Forum Image

cool. ya i was looking through the jawa wookipedia page and saw this picture of a jawa with a giant wrench that i though looked cool so i kinda based my character of him

idk how to insert a picture but here is a link anyway
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/d/da/Jawas_SWG1c130.jpg/430px-Jawas_SWG1c130.jpg&imgrefurl=http://saga-edition.com/boards/topic.php%3Fid%3D501&usg=__btDFTX3DZjHaZqxgXwvbQVKTkHo=&h=599&w=430&sz=44&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=2S20d2IAy7TF7M:&tbnh=145&tbnw=129&ei=WopETcKkOcj0gAe09rjQAQ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djawa%2Bwith%2Bwrench%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DG%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1600%26bih%3D747%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=827&vpy=57&dur=36&hovh=265&hovw=190&tx=122&ty=137&oei=WopETcKkOcj0gAe09rjQAQ&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0

Avissi

quick question on the rules to make sure im doing this right...

is it ok for us as the writers to change the setting? or is our interaction only through character and the setting the responsibility of the GM

case in point: i wrote that something a loud noise occurred that resulted in a sand people attack. but my character wasnt the cause of the event but rather occurred outside of my characters realm of control, is that ok?

Arrowhead.

Naandi wrote:
Though, I think I really prefer Arrow's. :D

:D

Heya, Avissi! I remember seeing that picture when I was reading up on Jawas too, and I definitely stopped and had my own “awww, so cute!” moment. That was the first thing I thought about when I read your bio.

If you want to add the picture, the bbcode to do so is this: [img]web address[/img]

Avissi wrote:
is it ok for us as the writers to change the setting? or is our interaction only through character and the setting the responsibility of the GM

Now I have to say that I’m really grateful you asked this question, cause Vista and I have been talking about it all evening and I know she’s gonna try and explain things a little better, but here’s my quick answer.

For typical RP scenes that do not have a game-master it is absolutely okay, but I think for this one, since this is a GM-based thread and it is the GM’s responsibility to add “thread setting alterations” it is best if your poses are focused on your own characters. Certainly you can do your best story-telling when you interact with the environment, so that’s absolutely acceptable. Making a big noise, kicking around droid components, and even introducing a little NPC like a bantha or something is fine. However, introducing something so big that it effects everyone in the scene and ultimately alters the direction of the plot is the realm of the GM (at least for this kind of RP).

*Nudges Arrow* Don’t worry Arrow. This is exactly what I was hoping would happen, to be honest. Haha! The reason being, Vista and I are hoping this is going to be a learning experience for a new style of RP. She’s gonna elaborate on that pretty soon, I think.

By the way, I think a Sand People invasion was a great idea! If you have more ideas that you would like thrown into the story, send a PM to Vista or me and we’ll implement them. Right now, we’re gonna see how our passive little Jawa buddies ride out a Sand People infiltration. Bwhahaha.

*blows on her GM whistle* "Time-out!"

Let's take a short time-out for a "teachable moment."

Part of the purpose of this thread was to slowly introduce the quote rules un-quote of cooperative roleplay to those who were interested, while maintaining a very silly and fun RP atmosphere! :D I know some of the rules posted in the OP are confusing, so maybe it's a good time to take a breather and explain some of the finer points of this thread.

AltaVista wrote:
This Sandbox RP will be what can be summed up as a Turn-Based Forum RP. Each player/writer writes a paragraph or so for the character they created. Then, another player will post with the actions/reactions of their own character. While there will (hopefully) be several characters in the scene, each writer is responsible for only their own character, unless they decide to include other NPCs.

It is a generally accepted practice in forum RP and in MMO RP that you only ever write for the actions of your own character. In your "pose" you may write the actions, thoughts, and comments of your own character, and even go so far as to "quote" the written words of another player's pose to show what you are reacting to, BUT writing the actions, comments, or thoughts of another player's character is a big no-no and will get you black-balled when playing on the official forums or when RPing when the MMO actually goes live. No one wants to be chewed out by a stranger for doing something they, honestly, didn't know was not kosher - so, please, everyone consider the source. I don't want any of the Saints accidentally having other roleplayers get mad at them for a simple misunderstanding of the medium. That would be... awful.

So, to help understand what I mean, let me give some over-simplified answers for clarity's sake.

Example:
Player A has created a character called Bob. Player B has created a character name Tom. They decide to RP with each other.

This is an acceptable RP interchange between the two characters:

Player A posts:
Bob decided to go for a walk. He took his fishing pole along just in case, and set off down the path along the river's edge. "What a glorious day!" he said, aloud.

Player B posts:
Tom had been sitting on a bench, twiddling his thumbs with nothing to do. He heard a man say something, and turned his head to see who it was. "Ho! Tom! Over here!" he called, waving his friend over.

Note that Player B was able to comment on the actions of player A, but did not mention anything that Player's A character did that Player A had not specifically written.

This is an unacceptable RP Scene:

Player A posts:
Bob decided to go for a walk. He took his fishing pole along just in case, and set off down the path along the river's edge. "What a glorious day!" he said, aloud.

Player B posts:
Tom had been sitting on a bench, twiddling his thumbs with nothing to do. He dozily watched as his friend Bob made his way to the water's edge and cast his fishing line into the water. "I think I'll go join him," he thought.

Note that, here, Player B has added actions for the character of Bob that Player A did not specifically mention in his own post. While it could be assumed that Player A was intending to have Tom fish, it is not Player B's right to dictate what Player A's character's action would be. At the very least, Player A would have asked Player B to rewrite his post. But a more likely reaction would be that Player A would be offended and call Player B a "god-modder".

The RP term "god-modder" takes on several meanings, and in general is often considered one of the harshest insults for a serious roleplayer. In one aspect, a god-modder acts as god, moving characters at his own whim without respect to other players. Another aspect of god-modding is giving your character unreasonably strong "powers" or physical attributes for the type of character he is. Also, god-modding can be taking control of a combat/movement interchange and forcing actions/combat-results on another player's character without giving them a chance to react/parry/dodge (this also relates to auto-connect, which is a lesson for another day :P). If I may be honest, this actually happened to me a couple times with a good RP buddy of mine. After a serious scene of godmodding, I no longer had interest in roleplaying with her, even though she had an interesting character, was a nice person OOCly, and we had a lot of RP history together. I can also remember when I was called a god-modder back when I was just starting to roleplay. At the time, I didn't understand the term and it had to be kindly explained to me. But, really... there's a point in every roleplayer's life that this topic pops up. And the earlier it is explained, the better!

Simply put, god-modding isn't fair to other players, and absolutely has a negative impact on any future RP opportunities. I have seen entire RP communities ostracize players because of this, and it's an ugly thing to see and I certainly don't want that to happen to any of my friends here in the Saints. That would make me one sad puppy. So! Hopefully learning such terms of RP conduct like this will prevent that from ever happening! Making me a very happy puppy!! envy

Now that that's out of the way... let's get back to the fun!!!! :D
Arrowhead.

Ah-ha! I get it now! Ok... Thanks Vista and I'm sorry if I stepped out of bounds.

And.... I didn't know Jawas fish...? :P

alright noob moment on my part then

but thx for the clarification. this helps quite a bit

Naandi

Meet Bob. Bob like to fish for, uh, sandfish using, um, sandcrawlers of course!

Naandi wrote:

Oh, and he uses Sand Worms for bate I'm guessing?
Forum Image

Oooh. Big gooberfish!

Oh, not to worry, Quill! Like I said, I used to do the same thing. <(^.^)b

Keep throwing questions out there to if something comes up that seems like it needs more clarification. :D I know I tend to assume a lot, and tend to ramble on and on without actually explaining anything very well. Bad habit? Oops? So yeah...

And sorry I haven't posted my character yet. I'm feeling a little stretched thin, since I'm now sorta GMing/policing 5 different threads (oi!! what a mistake!!). I should have 'er posted tomorrow, if not tonight.
AltaVista

Arrowhead. wrote:
Naandi wrote:

Oh, and he uses Sand Worms for bate I'm guessing?
Forum Image

Wow! I remember playing a Star Wars game ages ago... where you had to jump from rock to rockor something to avoid the worm thingy. Right right? Or was that a dream? I thought it was a game, something-something Academy? Maybe it was a dream... duuuude.
Avissi

Quote:
where you had to jump from rock to rockor something to avoid the worm thingy.

the movie Tremors?

Arrowhead.

AltaVista wrote:
Wow! I remember playing a Star Wars game ages ago... where you had to jump from rock to rockor something to avoid the worm thingy. Right right? Or was that a dream? I thought it was a game, something-something Academy? Maybe it was a dream... duuuude.

It was an awesome game!

Forum Image

Page 2 of 9

Jump to: